Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

10 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Looks like I'm eating my words, I've already found 3 power line sites since switching to T-Mobile. I'm not a fan of these, rent may be cheap but when you factor in how much it costs and extended wait times for the special crews to do maintenance and upgrades is it really worth it? Maybe new T-Mobile will handle these better than Sprint.fec7600f56c957860488bf75117d0cef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I had one of these near my old house for Sprint. Still to this day it's still on B25 only.

Edited by notsrealinc

Tonight I received several text messages while in the basement at my work (Boston suburbs), somewhere I have never even gotten a glimpse of Sprint service, or roaming, or anything.. checked SCP, it was moderately strong T-Mobile B66. Something definitely changed, because I've never caught that before.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

T-Mobile, cable and Dish Network are well positioned to benefit from the trends as the U.S. heads into a recession while Verizon and AT&T “will be caught between a slowing industry and share loss to challengers.”

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-dish-cable-among-best-positioned-as-recession-hits-analysts

• Like 4

On 4/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, joshnys8913 said:

I do wonder how much longer US Cellular will survive, ESPECIALLY now with the Sprint and t-Mobile officially merging. 

I would expect the US Cellular will do as it has done in the past: sell off underperforming markets, thus gradually fading away.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, afazel said:

I know my phone supports it, I just wonder if/when they'll turn it on. I had pretty good B41 coverage at my house 3 years ago when I switched to Tmo

The real question is how many of T-Mobile's older phones support Band 41.  This will have relevance in the retention of some B41 LTE for the new T-Mobile configurations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dkyeager said:

The real question is how many of T-Mobile's older phones support Band 41.  This will have relevance in the retention of some B41 LTE for the new T-Moble configurations.

I'm sure that T-Mobile will want to accelerate upgrades for those customers, but in a sustainable way.

This was just announced as well:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedSpark said:

I'm sure that T-Mobile will want to accelerate upgrades for those customers, but in a sustainable way.

This was just announced as well:

would love to get this phone and i see it supports all of sprints LTE bands but not sure about 1x for voice.  Looks like BC0, BC1 and BC10....what are the odds this can be activated on a sprint line?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, swintec said:

would love to get this phone and i see it supports all of sprints LTE bands but not sure about 1x for voice.  Looks like BC0, BC1 and BC10....what are the odds this can be activated on a sprint line?

That's a good question: Verizon announced an exclusive version for its network that has support for its mmWave: https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/14/21220454/oneplus-8-pro-verizon-carrier-price-release-date

More info at: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/14/oneplus-8-and-8-pro-4g-5g-us-network-bands-and-compatibility-guide/

The T-Mobile version lacks mmWave support.

Sprint hasn't announced anything yet. Given the merger, I don't think it will.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Sprint hasn't announced anything yet. Given the merger, I don't think it will.

Yes, given the merger i would expect tmobile would do the announcing at this point.  i would like to order it tomorrow when it goes live but i can see that will not happen given this uncertainty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swintec said:

Yes, given the merger i would expect tmobile would do the announcing at this point.  i would like to order it tomorrow when it goes live but i can see that will not happen given this uncertainty.

I agree.

The Android Police article I linked to doesn't even mention Sprint as a "separate" carrier anymore. Damn, that was quick. 

Judge Kelly posted his memorandum explaining his reasoning behind ruling in favor of T-Mobile/Sprint.  He spent a lot of time explaining how Tunney Act rulings must be deferential to the conclusions of the DoJ and examining comments about DISH not being a good potential remedy, but ultimately dismissing those claims.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

It's also interesting to see through the lens of history that Dan Hesse is seen as a great CEO at Sprint.  Dan was the right guy for the right season.  It's the Masa season that will likely be judged harshly.  And now we are in a new season.  All hail the new supreme leader, Mike Sievert.

Robert

• Like 15

23 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

It's also interesting to see through the lens of history that Dan Hesse is seen as a great CEO at Sprint.  Dan was the right guy for the right season.  It's the Masa season that will likely be judged harshly.  And now we are in a new season.  All hail the new supreme leader, Mike Sievert.

Robert

Excellent point. I completely agree. 👍

Personally, once the merger was in process to eventual closure, I wanted Masa to lose as much money as possible on it. When his equity in New T-Mobile dropped, I was glad to hear it.

He belongs on the same list of incompetents that Forsee is on: https://www.fiercewireless.com/special-report/worst-wireless-ceos-all-time

• Like 4

T-Mobile is making new device announcements now on behalf of Sprint.

The @sprintnews Twitter handle is just retweeting @TMobileNews Tweets and Sprint's Newsroom site has been deprecated, referring users to T-Mobile's Newsroom. The new normal.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

I'm surprised it's even being offered on Sprint, but I assume it's because it's a universal model that works on all (or most) carriers.

Here's the model/carrier list: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se

It's a little early in the integration process to shut off phone offerings and sales through Sprint. That will eventually happen though. However, it's already gotten to the point where T-Mobile makes the device announcements and Sprint merely repeats/retweets it. That's not a small thing.

• Like 2

I am surprised that will allow new activations on the sprint network. When will they stop activating devices/SIMs on it?
Until the T-Mobile network is ready to take on all current Sprint customers, I'm sure they'll allow activations, whether they're new lines or device swaps.

11 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:
48 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:
I am surprised that will allow new activations on the sprint network. When will they stop activating devices/SIMs on it?

Until the T-Mobile network is ready to take on all current Sprint customers, I'm sure they'll allow activations, whether they're new lines or device swaps.

An important question is whether Sprint will continue to sell/activate new devices which are not completely T-Mobile compatible?

A second question is whether T-Mobile will offer any incentives for Sprint customers to stay, rather than jump to Verizon or AT&T?  And if they do offer incentives, when can we get them?

• Like 3
  • Love 1