Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Not sure if these are a couple of TM employees but I read the following on Reddit:

"All 100% compatible T-Mobile compatible devices will be getting an OTA update between now and July, registering the devices on both networks, many of the newer devices are reporting it looks like T-MOBILE bands are the priority and they now fall back on the sprint network.

Which is ultimately the goal. Over half of sprints currently activated devices are 100% T-Mobile compatible. If they can get as many devices onto T-Mobile’s network now, it lessens the blow when they start network integration"

"The OTA will be for the SIM card and not the devices. What they will do is set the T-Mobile PLMN as the 2nd home network on the SIM cards and the devices will see the T-Mobile network as native."

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/g4aoxs/this_is_how_to_disable_sprint_bands_on_the_pixel/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

Not sure if these are a couple of TM employees but I read the following on Reddit:

"All 100% compatible T-Mobile compatible devices will be getting an OTA update between now and July, registering the devices on both networks, many of the newer devices are reporting it looks like T-MOBILE bands are the priority and they now fall back on the sprint network.

Which is ultimately the goal. Over half of sprints currently activated devices are 100% T-Mobile compatible. If they can get as many devices onto T-Mobile’s network now, it lessens the blow when they start network integration"

"The OTA will be for the SIM card and not the devices. What they will do is set the T-Mobile PLMN as the 2nd home network on the SIM cards and the devices will see the T-Mobile network as native."

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/g4aoxs/this_is_how_to_disable_sprint_bands_on_the_pixel/

I can't wait!

On 4/18/2020 at 6:44 PM, bookertdub said:

Just tell them you want the 50GB hot spot. Also Sprint during this time during this Coronavirus situation is adding an additional 20GB ontop of the normal hotspot.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/11/06/sprint-ups-mobile-hotspot-limits-50-gb-launches-faster-4-g-network/1898490002/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Promise this is my last post about plans... I just wanted to thank you for telling me about this and after 3 hours spend on the phone with sprint they finally added 50gb hotspot for no additional charge. Again thank you.

• Like 3

694b43055ec8adc1969c6e66119db10d.jpg
Can confirm that the T-mobile speed throttle has been lifted in the San Diego market, specifically in Carlsbad, California. Previously my phone would drop down to 3G inside the grocery store I usually go to, but then I noticed 4 or 5 bars of LTE. So I did a field test on my iPhone 7+ and it showed Band 4. Previously data was unusable inside the grocery store.

• Like 3

Promise this is my last post about plans... I just wanted to thank you for telling me about this and after 3 hours spend on the phone with sprint they finally added 50gb hotspot for no additional charge. Again thank you.

Were you able to get the additional 20 gigs at no extra charge ontop of your normal 50 gigs due to COVID-19?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookertdub said:

Were you able to get the additional 20 gigs at no extra charge ontop of your normal 50 gigs due to COVID-19?

Yes. We currently have 70gb. One question I forgot to ask the agent is what happens when I reach that limit? I just want to make sure there’s no overage charge.

Yes. We currently have 70gb. One question I forgot to ask the agent is what happens when I reach that limit? I just want to make sure there’s no overage charge.

I'm pretty sure you won't get charged an overage & you'll get throttled speeds. What I don't know is does one get throttled only if the tower is congested or does one get throttled no matter the status of the tower?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

I think it just gets throttled to basically dial-up speeds. You will have the choice to buy more regular speed if you wish.

• Like 1

Good news for T-Mobile low band capacity in a whole bunch of markets. This should help ease some of the transition on the “new T-Mobile” network with Sprint users coming over.

“T-Mobile has entered into a three-year arrangement with LB License Co. — a company controlled by the venture capital firm Columbia Capital — for a 600 MHz paid leasing arrangement.

The deal with Columbia Capital gives T-Mobile immediate access to between 10 and 30 MHz of additional 600 MHz spectrum in various markets, including St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston and Los Angeles, among others.”

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jreuschl said:

many of the newer devices are reporting it looks like T-MOBILE bands are the priority and they now fall back on the sprint network.

Please no. I experienced the T-Mobile network here. I don't want to go back to that trash unless integration is totally complete. How do I make this not happen until integration is done?

On 4/17/2020 at 12:04 PM, dro1984 said:

Anybody else get their T-Mobile email today? 

Dear Sprint Customers –

I hope you’ve seen the news – but in case you missed it…I’m very excited to tell you that Sprint is officially part of the T-Mobile family! And together, as a new, bigger and better company that will be called T-Mobile, we are bringing the best of both companies together for YOU. We are already building a world-leading 5G network and working even harder to deliver unmatched value – ...

Over at youtube, sneed mobile states (at time index 4:46) that T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert is emailing Sprint customers stating that they will keep all of their stuff like hotspot, Hulu, pricing etc. Is this the same email that was mentioned last Friday  (in the quote above?)  

Over at youtube, sneed mobile states (
that T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert is emailing Sprint customers stating that they will keep all of their stuff like hotspot, Hulu, pricing etc. Is this the same email that was mentioned last Friday  (in the quote above?)  

ThIs is the first I’ve heard of this second email going out.

1 hour ago, dewbertdc said:

Good news for T-Mobile low band capacity in a whole bunch of markets. This should help ease some of the transition on the “new T-Mobile” network with Sprint users coming over.

“T-Mobile has entered into a three-year arrangement with LB License Co. — a company controlled by the venture capital firm Columbia Capital — for a 600 MHz paid leasing arrangement.

The deal with Columbia Capital gives T-Mobile immediate access to between 10 and 30 MHz of additional 600 MHz spectrum in various markets, including St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston and Los Angeles, among others.”

Isn't Coulmbia Capital the company that bought AT&T's 600Mhz winnings?

The nation’s No. 2 mobile network operator filed a document with the FCC indicating it would transfer its 600 MHz holdings to LB License Company, an affiliate of Columbia Capital, a Beltway-area venture firm focused on telecom and media. 

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/at-t-looks-to-sell-600-mhz-spectrum-to-lb-license-co-for-nearly-1b

And this is the truth that many of us are going to learn.  T-Mobile is not perfect everywhere.  They have some markets where they have some real bad towers here and there.  And there are some entire markets that aren't that good.  But if the New T-Mobile fully leverages Sprint spectrum and add every Sprint site that expands coverage or provides additional capacity, it will get really good.  Probably the best. 

Sprint failed to leverage Nextel sites to expand coverage and capacity to its full extent.  Not even half its extent.  Hopefully NTmo will take it to the maximum.  But their comments about existing Sprint sites sound kinda lukewarm.  No I won't hold my breath.

If Tmo really wants to take it to the Duopoly, they need to keep every Sprint site that adds any coverage (and upgrade it, of course).  They should also try to add Nextel locations that expand coverage too.  And then any Sprint in-footprint sites that are not co-located With Tmo where density improvement or capacity would be helpful.  :fingers:

Robert

• Like 16
  • Love 2

Notable points from the press release:

• T-Mobile is already lighting up broad and deep 5G, with 2.5 GHz mid-band spectrum now live in parts of Philadelphia and coming soon to parts of New York City. Mid-band spectrum adds critical depth and additional speed to T-Mobile’s broad 5G network. Customers in New York will be the first to have access to low-band, mid-band and mmWave 5G.
  • The Un-carrier is expanding its nationwide 5G footprint, lighting up 5G in Detroit, St. Louis and Columbus, Ohio.
  • Sprint customers with the Samsung Galaxy S 20 5G will get nationwide 5G, tapping into T-Mobile’s 5G network in more than 5,000 cities and towns across the country, starting later this month.
  • Millions of Sprint customers can now roam on the T-Mobile LTE network. Sprint customers now have access to more than double the number of LTE sites than on Sprint’s network alone, so in areas where Sprint doesn’t have LTE, T-Mobile has them covered.

• Like 6

Here's another interesting section of that Press Release:

And for the millions of Sprint customers with compatible LTE phones, they can now roam on T-Mobile’s LTE network, giving them access to more than double the number of LTE sites than Sprint’s network alone, so when they leave an area covered by Sprint LTE, they can stay connected with T-Mobile.

Illustrates the difference in the number of LTE sites that T-Mobile has vs. Sprint.

4 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Here's another interesting section of that Press Release:

Illustrates the difference in the number of LTE sites that T-Mobile has vs. Sprint.

We know that T-mobile does have more sites than Sprint, but this quote just implies it has at least an equal amount of sites as Sprint +1.

• Like 9

My takeaways from tbis

1. Columbus Ohio is now getting 5G

2. My V50 that I’ve had for almost 3 weeks will not have 5G access and will simply be a LTE device..not too late to return it.

• Like 1

The choice to make Sprint customers roam on T-Mobile's LTE vs use their 5G network natively is a good idea given that the number of users with 5G devices is still pretty small. It'll also buy them enough time to integrate Sprint's PCS spectrum into T-Mobile's LTE network so that we can use their network natively without bringing the whole thing to a halt.

With all that being said.. Something happened overnight in the Minnesota market. I can't seem to get back on to my Sprint signal. I've always had a pretty low connection at my house(-110 to -115dBm) on Sprint, but now I'm completely stuck on the T-mo network and it's showing as fully native. Speeds over 150mbps, compared to my 3-5mbps on Sprint.. So far, I'm a happy camper.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, blakebaa said:

With all that being said.. Something happened overnight in the Minnesota market. I can't seem to get back on to my Sprint signal. I've always had a pretty low connection at my house(-110 to -115dBm) on Sprint, but now I'm completely stuck on the T-mo network and it's showing as fully native. Speeds over 150mbps, compared to my 3-5mbps on Sprint.. So far, I'm a happy camper.

I wish I was as lucky as you. Guess they are targeting major markets first. I am still holding on Sprint's band 25 & 26. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, derrph said:

The LG V50 supports T-Mobile's n260 and n261 and Sprint's n41. It doesn't say anywhere that it'll be an LTE only device, just that the S20 series will be first to receive access to both 5G networks.

I was wrong, it looks like older "first-gen" 5G devices will become LTE only devices like you said.

13 minutes ago, blakebaa said:

Noticed something similar on my phone for a short time yesterday. My phone was stuck on Band 66/Band 2/Band 12 carrier aggregation and I thought it was that my engineering screen was stuck but the information was updating in real time and showing up as native. I restarted my phone and it put me back on Band 41.

• Like 2