Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

My buddy shares a T-Mobile account with his N5 that he got directly from sprint. Also the 32gb activation issue had nothing to do with it being different, rather the imei just weren't updated into sprints system.

Is he able to freely switch back and forth between Sprint and Tmobile sims without any service hiccups? Been reading some accounts of problems when going back to the Sprint sim after having the T mobile sim in.

Is he able to freely switch back and forth between Sprint and Tmobile sims without any service hiccups? Been reading some accounts of problems when going back to the Sprint sim after having the T mobile sim in.

For me it takes two power ups, otherwise the data state gets mixed up, half in some funny state.

1) power off phone

2) put in new SIM

3) power on

4) power off

5) power on

As long as you have 2 separate sim cards, one for each carrier seems to be a non issue. 

Do u need a SIM remover tool for the one sold at sprint ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Speaking of SIM remover tool, does a paper clip work?  I still wish Sprint included the G sim remover tool like they did in the ATT and Verizon versions.

Speaking of SIM remover tool, does a paper clip work? I still wish Sprint included the G sim remover tool like they did in the ATT and Verizon versions.

: I just use a paper clip and it works great

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I, being the fool that I am, ordered the Black 16GB. Now the wait is killing me lol.

Tape off the glass and any mic/speaker holes. Then go to your nearest adult fun store and have it dipped in black latex. Problem solved! Its black. Or whatever color you want. How about various skin tones to blend in with your hand?

Awesome.  All I need to do is make it into a shape of a G and I am straight.

You are a straight G?

AJ

• Like 1

So this is probably a noob question and I'm just not looking enough but... Is the Nexus 5 you'd get from Sprint a special version with the Spark LTE bands, or could I buy one unlocked from Google Play and put a Sprint sim in it and it work the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this is probably a noob question and I'm just not looking enough but... Is the Nexus 5 you'd get from Sprint a special version with the Spark LTE bands, or could I buy one unlocked from Google Play and put a Sprint sim in it and it work the same?

They're exactly the same.

• Like 4

My second line has a EVO 4G LTE on it, and when at home, it shows good connectivity (full bars, and signal strength is between -90dBm and -105dBm). My old S4 had a similar connectivity.

At it's best, my Nexus 5 however shows 2 out of 4 bars at home. Usually 1 bar, or even 0 (yes, I'm getting dropped calls at home now - signal strength is usually between -105dBm and -115dBm). My EVO LTE, sitting right besides it will be showing me 5 bars, and good signal strength.

Forget the bars. Different devices represent your signal strength differently. And if you are comparing actual dB readings across devices, only compare 1X to 1X, 800 to 800, LTE to LTE, etc. Each technology has different readings. For example, 1X measures RSSI, LTE measures RSRP. Try SignalCheck (it's my app, just grab the free version) -- it will give you the data you need to provide equal comparisons between your EVO and N5.

I would like to know too.  Also, would there be a difference in where you bought the phone (i.e. phones bought from sprint already have access to band 41 while those bought from the play store do not)?

I'm curious only because there's this thought in the back in my mind that even after 'early 2014' comes around and all nexus 5's get the update maybe they'll also have trouble connecting to band 41 as opposed to those nexus 5's bought directly through sprint.

Somebody already mentioned this, but I will repeat it because it's kind of starting to drive me crazy..

The Nexus 5 you can get from Sprint is the same Nexus 5 you can get from Google Play. Or Best Buy. Or Radio Shack. Or Amazon.

The "Early 2014" Spark update applies to all Nexus 5 devices, regardless of where you bought it. There is no special magic pre-installed on the Nexus 5 that Sprint sells. They are both an LG D820. There is one other Nexus 5 (the LG D821), but that is for use on networks outside of North America.

-Mike

• Like 5

Getting my Nexus 5 tomorrow morning. Hopefully it'll come before my class then I can confirm whether or not it's possible to connect to band 41 as of tomorrow.

You guys said to activate via swap online? What about the sim card? I have the 3FF one but I haven't even opened it. Does it need to be activated? Looking to avoid the $36 fee.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 2

Getting my Nexus 5 tomorrow morning. Hopefully it'll come before my class then I can confirm whether or not it's possible to connect to band 41 as of tomorrow.

You guys said to activate via swap online? What about the sim card? I have the 3FF one but I haven't even opened it. Does it need to be activated? Looking to avoid the $36 fee.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Assuming you got it from the Play Store, there will not be a $36 fee, because that's for upgrades, not activations. I would use chat and swap it that way. They'll ask for the ESN and SIM card number and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. My only suggestion is to have the Nexus 5 powered on, and when the Sprint person tells you to turn on the phone, this is when you insert the SIM and it will then prompt to reboot :)

• Like 2

Sent from my LG-LS980

Most of my phones I bought are from amazon,wirefly,,,, .sprint never charged me activation fee

• Like 2

Forget the bars. Different devices represent your signal strength differently. And if you are comparing actual dB readings across devices, only compare 1X to 1X, 800 to 800, LTE to LTE, etc. Each technology has different readings. For example, 1X measures RSSI, LTE measures RSRP. Try SignalCheck (it's my app, just grab the free version) -- it will give you the data you need to provide equal comparisons between your EVO and N5.

Thanks mikejeep. I did look at the RSRP readings for LTE on both devices, and noticed the difference.

• Like 1

If you read back a few pages you will see a couple of us have this issue. It was stated that it is most likely eCFSB ISSUE which you can read more about on the wall. Or, in this thread if you go back. I too lose signal very frequently when on the global and LTE settings in mobile network. If I switch to 3g the problem disappears.

This only happens in certain areas of my city, but both of the places I am most of the time (work and home), but not at school. This leads my to believe that the towers near me haven't been updated to properly support trip band phones yet. A few have 3g only upgrades.

If you have sponsorship look at the coverage nap to see towers in your area.

What you can do until your towers are upgraded, is set your mobile network to 3g. This will insure you still get your texts and calls on time. If you can't deal with 3g only, then I suggest you go back to using your single band phone until sprint gets around to fixing the issue.

Again, you can get more info on the issue by reading the article on the wall, or going through this thread, or the nexus 5 issues thread.

Thank you - I actually read about the eCFSB issue. Didn't think that was related, but I have switched to 3g for now to see if it helps. To be honest, when I'm at home, I don't care for data connectivity, because I have wifi enabled anyway. But I need to be able to receive text/voice calls reliably. I have switched to 3g - hopefully that will help.

You could at least read a little bit further up on this very page...

People have repeatedly asked the differences between Sprint and Google play versions of the N5. They are identical. Besides the packaging and the sim card being included with the sprint version.

Finally got mine. Been playing with it since 5. Its pretty darn awesome. One question though. What does everyone's MySprint show that you are using?

nothing under the account, it isn't a recognized device....

Finally got mine. Been playing with it since 5. Its pretty darn awesome. One question though. What does everyone's MySprint show that you are using?

Mine shows the Nexus 5. Might be a delay in them updating your account.

Mine shows the Nexus 5. Might be a delay in them updating your account.

Is yours a 16 or 32gb model? Mine is 32....