Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

PCS A-F actually. Sprint devices can see and try to connect to band 2 PCS networks at times.

Sent from my Nexus 5

So hypothetically speaking, if Sprint had C block PCS spectrum refarmed for LTE in certain markets, would 20Mhz on B25 capable devices ever attach to anything wider than 5Mhz? My gut instinct says no, but would like to hear some opinions.

Except where it counts. No Verizon =P haha jk, it would be impressive if it supposed them also. They could call it "The first Major US Phone - For All Major US Carriers"

Yeah it's a shame Verizon didn't want to play nice with the N5.  Would've been the first phone of its kind.

• Like 1

So if Sprint had C block PCS spectrum refarmed for LTE in certain markets, would 20Mhz on B25 capable devices ever attach to anything wider than 5Mhz? My gut instinct says no, but would like to hear some opinions.

I would say no. It'll break compatibility with too many devices (cough Samsung cough) but I daresay that when PCS A-F blocks gets refarmed it'll be another 5mhx lte carrier and the mmbs/bts will automatically swap users between carriers as needed depending on load and other factors. Carrier aggregation may also come into play when sprint uses other pcs blocks.

Sent from my Google Nexus 5

I would say no. It'll break compatibility with too many devices (cough Samsung cough) but I daresay that when PCS A-F blocks gets refarmed it'll be another 5mhx lte carrier and the mmbs/bts will automatically swap users between carriers as needed depending on load and other factors. Carrier aggregation may also come into play when sprint uses other pcs blocks.

Got it. So the real benefit of testing UE for wider than 5Mhz on B25 is future proofing since it will be able to connect to wider channels anywhere between A-F on the PCS, G block stays at 5Mhz, correct?

Got it. So the real benefit of testing UE for wider than 5Mhz on B25 is future proofing since it will be able to connect to wider channels anywhere between A-F on the PCS, G block stays at 5Mhz, correct?

I'd say that's what I believe though I doubt most markets have enough PCS for that wide of a carrier as Sprint mostly has 20-30mhz in most markets that's earmarked for evdo and 1x.

Ah so it scans for the adjacent PCS C block? The reason I'm asking is because G block is only a 5Mhz FDD spectrum slice. Can't be larger than 5Mhz itself, unless the device dips down into the C block which is really B2.

B25 is just a superset of B2.  So the Sprint LTE phones should be able to scan all of B2's frequencies (PCS A-F blocks) in addition to the PCS G block which is what they currently have LTE deployed. 

B25 is just a superset of B2. So the Sprint LTE phones should be able to scan all of B2's frequencies (PCS A-F blocks) in addition to the PCS G block which is what they currently have LTE deployed.

I know the Note2 scans all of the standard PCS blocks for LTE as I saw it scanning and trying to auth with C Spire LTE. I posted a screenshot of it a while back.

My Nexus 5 gets here in 2 days but I'm honestly thinking about sticking with my G2. The battery life of my G2 is so awesome. Had a friend over the last two nights and he's been using my only charger each night for his Droid X2 while my G2 sits there barely sipping juice. Two hours and 45 minutes of screen time, 30hrs off charger, and still had 67% battery left.

Nexus 5 sounded good to me because of AOSP and RF performance but Idk. Usually when I have this uncertain feeling, I don't stick with the device for long. What's it called, buyers remorse?

Sent from my LG-LS980

My Nexus 5 gets here in 2 days but I'm honestly thinking about sticking with my G2. The battery life of my G2 is so awesome. Had a friend over the last two nights and he's been using my only charger each night for his Droid X2 while my G2 sits there barely sipping juice. Two hours and 45 minutes of screen time, 30hrs off charger, and still had 67% battery left.

Nexus 5 sounded good to me because of AOSP and RF performance but Idk. Usually when I have this uncertain feeling, I don't stick with the device for long. What's it called, buyers remorse?

Sent from my LG-LS980

I'm sitting at 1d 9h 28m with 9% battery left. Screen on time is at 2h 5m. I'm going to post a screen shot when I get down to 2% battery left.

• Like 1

Sent from my LG-LS980

Well you have the luxury of getting to test both devices.  You should choose what you feel fits your needs the most.

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here again since it's relevant again...

The battery life really isn't nearly as bad as everyone says. I've been making it a full day with normal usage.

A friend using his on AT&T was trying to squeeze every last drop of battery life out. He switched to ART and installed Qualcomm's Snapdragon BatteryGuru app. He made it 2 days and 5 hours (with 3 hours 45 minutes screen-on time) and he still had 5% of his battery. Here's a screenshot of his battery usage part of the way through:

FYlUsRQ.png

• Like 4

I'll just leave this here again since it's relevant again...

The truth is battery life is going to vary on your location and signal strength throughout the entire battery charge.  This screenshot doesn't really explain much because there is no context.  I mean its easy to stretch battery life if it isn't being stressed or if you have great signal the entire time.  I have seen people say the LG G2 can last almost 2 days but in my experience, I usually last about a day due to my work and home area having weak reception indoors for 1x and 3G so my radios are in search mode frequently.

I am glad to see the Nexus 5 being able to last a day or longer but in no way is this screenshot representative of the norm.

The truth is battery life is going to vary on your location and signal strength throughout the entire battery charge.  This screenshot doesn't really explain much because there is no context.  I mean its easy to stretch battery life if it isn't being stressed or if you have great signal the entire time.  I have seen people say the LG G2 can last almost 2 days but in my experience, I usually last about a day due to my work and home area having weak reception indoors for 1x and 3G so my radios are in search mode frequently.

I am glad to see the Nexus 5 being able to last a day or longer but in no way is this screenshot representative of the norm.

Of course - that's why I said he was trying to get as much battery life as possible. He was using the phone normally (see the screen on time), but as I mentioned, he switched to ART and installed Qualcomm's Snapdragon BatteryGuru app. So I'm not saying this is typical - I'm just saying it's possible. He gets 24 hours+ on average with this setup.

That's very true that signal reception plays a big part on battery life. A few months ago when Sprint was having a tower problem at my work area, my idle and useage battery life was really bad on my GS4. After unplugging the phone at 7am and coming home around 5:30pm, I would have 50% or less of my battery left.

Once Sprint fixed the tower issue, I come home to 75% left.

As for the N5, I've been really impressed by its idle battery endurance. I unplug it at the same time as my GS4 and take the phone with me to work. When I come home, it only goes down to 96% or 95% (the N5 is on a T-Mobile SIM card).

Of course - that's why I said he was trying to get as much battery life as possible. He was using the phone normally (see the screen on time), but as I mentioned, he switched to ART and installed Qualcomm's Snapdragon BatteryGuru app. So I'm not saying this is typical - I'm just saying it's possible. He gets 24 hours+ on average with this setup.

Cool. Good to know that ART so far looks promising. I am curious about ART though and I hope as time goes on battery life is improved and the Android performance is faster and smooth overall. I wonder if the ART option is going to be available on non-Nexus phones like the G2, GS4, HTC One when they get their stock 4.4 ROMS.

Cool. Good to know that ART so far looks promising. I am curious about ART though and I hope as time goes on battery life is improved and the Android performance is faster and smooth overall. I wonder if the ART option is going to be available on non-Nexus phones like the G2, GS4, HTC One when they get their stock 4.4 ROMS.

I expect it to be available to most phones which get 4.4 ROM and have access to developer settings. But I'm really hoping Google advances it far enough they can flip the switch for Nexus users in the next OS update. From what they've said, that sounds like their plan.

That sucks about the $76 for one week. I tried out the Note 3 on the AT&T network for 11 days and I paid $31. But then, I wasn't charged a restocking fee and my CVS corporate discount waived the $36 activation fee.

Took 2 calls but got them to credit back the restocking fee. Both customer service reps were clueless about the triband/network issues, although the guy in the Corp store knew the deal.

I may jump on the Note 3 from Amazon for 250, or wait and see if Sprint fixes the network here.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my LG-LS980

Being able to experience both devices for a couple weeks will probably only make it a harder choice.

However, this community would greatly appreciate any comparison testing you would be able to provide, so regardless of your choice, at least some good would come out.

Hopefully there's no trouble with the activation. There's been a few reports of people not being able to do the activation online with SIM attachment (which only a rep would be able to fix). Hopefully no activation charge is mistakenly placed.

• Like 2

This is very true, However after playing with the N5 I have noticed a few things. I ran a sensoryly test in my location and it picked up LTE signal for the 1st time in my area on that map. and I logged it 1st here in Throggsneck, Bronx. The singal fluctuates from .5 mb-17mb down once, but I can make a call, and send text on LTE. The significance is that I am recieving LTE signal while I was inside for the very 1st time ever. I don't know what caused it but I thought I saw an R where LTE or 3g, or 1x strenght signal displays. When the R displays I am making a phone call, and the band reports as band 50. Anyone know what band 50 is, or what the R sybolizes. 

1st the signal strength is insane inside I am only getting LTE band 25

2nd no matter what I set the band priorities to after I do a profile update my priorities for all bands are set to 1, with band 25 1st, band 26 2nd, band 41 3rd

3rd for the 1st time inside I am making calls that seem to have better clarity. When all the band priorities are set to 1 after the profile update an R displays when making and recieving calls and N5FT LTE engineering report displays a band 50

4th 3G signal is way stronger inside and seems more reliable than the SG3

5th since my signal does not fade in and out inside as it did with the SG3 my battery last way longer. Most of my battery life in the SG3 was lost mostly to signal search.

6th Today after 5 hours of use I had 40%  battery strength after talking for for about 2 hours straight, and making about 5 phone calls light usage, paling music for about3 hours straight, and testing different band priority settings for a few hours. Had I not tried testing band setting configurations the usage would have been fine.

7. My phone parks in LTE mostly all day inside which never ever happened with my SG3

Sooooo........I think anyone that has a good signal will enjoy better battery life. I get 10-12hours battery have over 50% with medium usage.

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE
  • Like 1

anyone had any luck with BB price matching? either on contract or off for any type of retailer (play store, amazon, radioshack, etc)

Bestbuy has it for $449 off contract and it's the 16GB model.

I'd recommend you either save $100 by buying it from the PlayStore or save $50 and get 32GB internal.

As for the price matching, my local Best Buy states they match other retailers non-online pricing.  Meaning Radioshack's price at the store, etc.  If it's an online only price, BestBuy wont match it for me.  Although I have heard people getting Best Buy to price match Amazon's on-contract pricing before.

• Like 1

Bestbuy has it for $449 off contract and it's the 16GB model.

I'd recommend you either save $100 by buying it from the PlayStore or save $50 and get 32GB internal.

As for the price matching, my local Best Buy states they match other retailers non-online pricing. Meaning Radioshack's price at the store, etc. If it's an online only price, BestBuy wont match it for me. Although I have heard people getting Best Buy to price match Amazon's on-contract pricing before.

That matches up exactly with what I've seen. The store by my folks house will price match Amazon because the employee said he likes to hook up his customers. The store closest to me thinks that they can't match prices for any mobile phone. Hopefully I don't have to go to the store by my folks house to get the phone down to $50 via the Amazon on contract price match.

It would be so clutch if I can do that and essentially get the phone for free. It sounds like Radio Shack has it on contract in store for 120 so I may have to pay as much as $70 for the phone via BestBuy price match.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Also I know its been discussed before but is there a full list of differences between the Play Store version and the Sprint version?

So far it sounds like the wording on the packaging is different, there's a different screen protector, there's a sprint sim, and in theory the software is different because it says it's locked to sprint bands or something like that

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk