Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Also I know its been discussed before but is there a full list of differences between the Play Store version and the Sprint version?

So far it sounds like the wording on the packaging is different, there's a different screen protector, there's a sprint sim, and in theory the software is different because it says it's locked to sprint bands or something like that

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

It isn't locked, other people have reported using it straight away with AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs,

No software differences at all.

The main downside with the Sprint one is the price and the lack of storage space. 16GB isn't enough for me.

• Like 2

And the sprint N5 wing have v the spark icon right?

I honestly do not think it will, just because the device is unlocked and there is no specific 4G branding on it.  

Every device except the N5 and iPhone will likely get the Spark icon.

I honestly do not think it will, just because the device is unlocked and there is no specific 4G branding on it.

That's what I thought too as the gsm LTE icons do not appear to be present

That's what I thought too as the gsm LTE icons do not appear to be present

I think another indication it won't have the Spark icon is the current nexus LTE is above the bars where as other devices have the 4G with up and down arrows separately from the bars.

Just saying.

I think another indication it won't have the Spark icon is the current nexus LTE is above the bars where as other devices have the 4G with up and down arrows separately from the bars.

Just saying.

True that.  The AOSP style layout has a separate signal cluster than skinned UIs.  (Imho it looks better on AOSP, but to each their own.)

• Like 1

Just happy to see that ting now officially supports nexus 5

Woo wee, does that give you a tingle?

AJ

• Like 3

Over the years I've heard that CDMA phones use more battery than its gsm counterparts. (Someone correct me if this is false) since the n5 is only using LTE when available-except for voice of course-shouldn't we see better battery life? Anybody with a n5 have any comments on the battery life?

Bestbuy has it for $449 off contract and it's the 16GB model.

I'd recommend you either save $100 by buying it from the PlayStore or save $50 and get 32GB internal.

As for the price matching, my local Best Buy states they match other retailers non-online pricing.  Meaning Radioshack's price at the store, etc.  If it's an online only price, BestBuy wont match it for me.  Although I have heard people getting Best Buy to price match Amazon's on-contract pricing before.

I did get a price match.. 349 at best buy.. but in all fairness, I really played the Elite+ card (spent over 8k there this year), and bought their warranty, (which I will cancel on day 32).... Plus I know the guy who sold it to me...

• Like 1

I did get a price match.. 349 at best buy.. but in all fairness, I really played the Elite+ card (spent over 8k there this year), and bought their warranty, (which I will cancel on day 32).... Plus I know the guy who sold it to me...

I'm happy to give my money to Google,plus shipped to your house . not seeing a best buy geek is PRICELESS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'm happy to give my money to Google,plus shipped to your house . not seeing a best buy geek is PRICELESS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

For being geeks, most Best Buy employees are clueless about technology.

• Like 3

Finally picking mine up today at the UPS hub! Gotta wait til 3:30 though. The anticipation is killing me!

I'm glad you're finally getting it.

I'm still waiting on a(ny) notice so I have a feeling I may not see mine before the 11/22 date mushroom stamped on my order page.

Over the years I've heard that CDMA phones use more battery than its gsm counterparts. (Someone correct me if this is false)

Any battery life advantage basically went away with the shift away from GSM.

AJ

I'm glad you're finally getting it.

I'm still waiting on a(ny) notice so I have a feeling I may not see mine before the 11/22 date mushroom stamped on my order page.

At least that's pretty close by.  I'll be waiting until 12/3 before mine ships lol. 

Charged Saturday night before heading out at around 9pm .

Couple of hours on LTE 9pm-4am Saturday night. Then all day Sunday and overnight into Monday on WiFi.

Finally charging now again.

Looks like a pretty harsh drop once the screen was on... Were you streaming a video or something?

For being geeks, most Best Buy employees are clueless about technology.

Hence it being priceless! haha

I am still waiting for mine also 11/26. Two days before Thanksgiving which tells me I won't see it until the following Monday at the earliest...

I switched from a Galaxy S4 to a Nexus 5 (from play store) - just one issue - low signal strength hoping that someone here can provide some insight into this.

My second line has a EVO 4G LTE on it, and when at home, it shows good connectivity (full bars, and signal strength is between -90dBm and -105dBm). My old S4 had a similar connectivity.

At it's best, my Nexus 5 however shows 2 out of 4 bars at home. Usually 1 bar, or even 0 (yes, I'm getting dropped calls at home now - signal strength is usually between -105dBm and -115dBm). My EVO LTE, sitting right besides it will be showing me 5 bars, and good signal strength.

Called Sprint - they checked and confirmed no outage near here. They pushed network profile/PRL updates. Even had me do a hard reset - no use. I then got google to swap my phone out. Exact same thing with the replacement phone.

Yesterday, when I was at a mall, I was looking for some information on my phone, and in a span of 5-10 minutes, I saw my phone go from LTE to 3g to no signal (not even roaming even though it is enabled??), and then, it even showed me 1x (I thought sprint was disguising 1x as 3g).

I switched from "Global" to LTE to 3g under network mode settings and that would get me connected for a little while, and then go to no signal again. (and my 2nd line was showing a solid LTE signal all this time - and I was able to use it)

Any idea about what's going on? Any troubleshooting steps? (Sprint gave up and asked me to switch back to the S4)

Sidenote: Not sure if this is relevant, but Speedtest shows pathetic speeds all the time (regardless of device). Even though I'm in a "Excellent" LTE coverage area, I've never seen speeds better than 4MBps download - usually average under 1MBps download (when outdoors)

Your phone might have connection issues because i can tell you that the nexus 5 blows the evo lte out of the water in all performance. Might want to take it to a sprint repair center.

I switched from a Galaxy S4 to a Nexus 5 (from play store) - just one issue - low signal strength hoping that someone here can provide some insight into this.

My second line has a EVO 4G LTE on it, and when at home, it shows good connectivity (full bars, and signal strength is between -90dBm and -105dBm). My old S4 had a similar connectivity.

At it's best, my Nexus 5 however shows 2 out of 4 bars at home. Usually 1 bar, or even 0 (yes, I'm getting dropped calls at home now - signal strength is usually between -105dBm and -115dBm). My EVO LTE, sitting right besides it will be showing me 5 bars, and good signal strength.

Called Sprint - they checked and confirmed no outage near here. They pushed network profile/PRL updates. Even had me do a hard reset - no use. I then got google to swap my phone out. Exact same thing with the replacement phone.

Yesterday, when I was at a mall, I was looking for some information on my phone, and in a span of 5-10 minutes, I saw my phone go from LTE to 3g to no signal (not even roaming even though it is enabled??), and then, it even showed me 1x (I thought sprint was disguising 1x as 3g).

I switched from "Global" to LTE to 3g under network mode settings and that would get me connected for a little while, and then go to no signal again. (and my 2nd line was showing a solid LTE signal all this time - and I was able to use it)

Any idea about what's going on? Any troubleshooting steps? (Sprint gave up and asked me to switch back to the S4)

Sidenote: Not sure if this is relevant, but Speedtest shows pathetic speeds all the time (regardless of device). Even though I'm in a "Excellent" LTE coverage area, I've never seen speeds better than 4MBps download - usually average under 1MBps download (when outdoors)

Your phone might have connection issues because i can tell you that the nexus 5 blows the evo lte out of the water in all performance. Might want to take it to a sprint repair center.

Thanks Terrell352. I did, and they said that none of the corporate stores here have equipment to test signal strength anymore. They did check the antenna connections and said that everything looks ok.

It was after this that I got a replacement from Google, and that had the exact same behavior. :(