Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Thanks Terrell352. I did, and they said that none of the corporate stores here have equipment to test signal strength anymore. They did check the antenna connections and said that everything looks ok.

It was after this that I got a replacement from Google, and that had the exact same behavior. :(

You may be suffering ibez issues. Seems more probable since you have a triband phone that is having problems and a non triband phone that is not.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

You may be suffering ibez issues. Seems more probable since you have a triband phone that is having problems and a non triband phone that is not.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

What do you mean ibez issues? How do you know if you are in an ibez area?

I tried to search for sprint ibez, and am not finding a whole lot of information describing the issue. Is it specific to specific towers (in specific cities/regions)? Any workaround? or just wait for a few years for it to get fixed? :)

At least that's pretty close by.  I'll be waiting until 12/3 before mine ships lol. 

True.  What memory and color and when did you order?

I tried to search for sprint ibez, and am not finding a whole lot of information describing the issue. Is it specific to specific towers (in specific cities/regions)? Any workaround? or just wait for a few years for it to get fixed? :)

See this thread.  The Mexico IBEZ affects these major markets:  San Diego, south LA/Orange County/San Bernardino County, El Paso and Tucson.  The 800 MHz rebanding effort has been finalized and will take 30 months from August 23, 2013.  This means that the 800 MHz rebanding effort for Mexico should be at the latest complete in February 23, 2016.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4707-usmexico-800-mhz-reband-plan-going-to-take-30-months/

http://www.fcc.gov/document/commencement-800-mhz-band-reconfiguration-along-mexico-border

In this thread, if you scroll down to the Special Case Mexican IBEZ Setup pic in the OP, you will see what the Mexico IBEZ consists of.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3915-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-alcatel-lucent-style/

In this thread, if you scroll down to the Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR) pic in the OP, you will see what the Canada IBEZ consists of.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3906-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-samsung-style/

See this thread.  The Mexico IBEZ affects these major markets:  San Diego, south LA/Orange County, El Paso and Tucson.  The 800 MHz rebanding effort has been finalized and will take 30 months from August 23, 2013.  This means that the 800 MHz rebanding effort for Mexico should be at the latest complete in February 23, 2016.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4707-usmexico-800-mhz-reband-plan-going-to-take-30-months/

http://www.fcc.gov/document/commencement-800-mhz-band-reconfiguration-along-mexico-border

In this thread, if you scroll down to the Special Case Mexican IBEZ Setup pic in the OP, you will see what the Mexico IBEZ consists of.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3915-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-alcatel-lucent-style/

In this thread, if you scroll down to the Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR) pic in the OP, you will see what the Canada IBEZ consists of.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3906-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-samsung-style/

Ah, thanks ericdabbs :)

I'm in Dallas, TX, so I guess this doesn't adversely impact me at this time. I guess there is something else that is causing the issue with my phone's reception...   :scratch:

Ah, thanks ericdabbs :)

I'm in Dallas, TX, so I guess this doesn't adversely impact me at this time. I guess there is something else that is causing the issue with my phone's reception...   :scratch:

Dallas is so far away from Mexico that you won't ever be affected and should be able to use the full 14 MHz of 800 MHz.  Heck I don't even think San Antonio for the most part is affected by 800 MHz.

• Like 1

Dallas is so far away from Mexico that you won't ever be affected and should be able to use the full 14 MHz of 800 MHz.  Heck I don't even think San Antonio for the most part is affected by 800 MHz.

True..

Is there any way that I can narrow down to what the problem might be? Sprint reps claim to be clueless about what the issue might be. Normally, I would not be too concerned about signal bars, but I've missed at least 2 calls last weekend, and my text messages are delayed by about 10-15 minutes (not sure if I'm missing any text messages)

I like the N5 too much to switch back to the S4 :(

Edited by jj14x

True..

Is there any way that I can narrow down to what the problem might be? Sprint reps claim to be clueless about what the issue might be. Normally, I would not be too concerned about signal bars, but I've missed at least 2 calls last weekend, and my text messages are delayed by about 10-15 minutes (not sure if I'm missing any text messages)

I like the N5 too much to switch back to the S4 :(

The issue is very simple. 800 MHz in the US before June 2013 was used for iDEN and public safety which used narrowband channels (25 KHz). Mexico and Canada use the same exact frequencies for iDEN. Well CDMA and LTE are considered wideband channels so Sprint had to apply for a modification of the 800 MHz band to the FCC to allow them to deploy wideband applications such as CDMA and LTE. Sprint received permission from the FCC to deploy CDMA and LTE back in May 2012 so that takes care of the US side.

However Mexico and Canada still use iDEN at 800 MHz and Sprint can't just deploy CDMA and LTE near these borders since the low band 800 MHz spectrum has great range and can cause major interference with iDEN wireless services and the wireless providers in Canada and Mexico would complain. Both Canada and Mexico needs to work on a relocation band effort so ensure both sides don't interfere with each other and unfortunately this takes time. So far from the links above that I posted from the FCC, fortunately the US/Mexico side reband plan has been approved and is in work of rebanding right now. I don't know the status of the US/Canada side but I am sure a reband plan should be coming out in the near future.

From browsing this thread, it still is unclear to me whether or not the Nexus 5 can connect to Band 41 even after enabling Band 41 in the settings. Because no one has successfully reported a connection, it seems that our phones cannot connect at this time. Is that the consensus? 

Oh - sorry, I should have been clearer :)  I sorta kinda understand the IBEZ issue. But since that is (hopefully) not what's causing my Nexus phone's connectivity issue, I was wondering if somebody could help me determine what was causing the problem with my phone...

Oh - sorry, I should have been clearer :)  I sorta kinda understand the IBEZ issue. But since that is (hopefully) not what's causing my Nexus phone's connectivity issue, I was wondering if somebody could help me determine what was causing the problem with my phone...

First, after recent updates to android, anything using 4.2 or higher shows the data signal strength on the bars instead of 1X.  AJ went over this some time ago in this thread.

As for the speeds, i thought Texas was just not well backhauled.

First, after recent updates to android, anything using 4.2 or higher shows the data signal strength on the bars instead of 1X.  AJ went over this some time ago in this thread.

As for the speeds, i thought Texas was just not well backhauled.

yeah - I read that bit about how Sprint is now showing it differently (kinda sneaky if ya ask me! lol!)

But the issue is that I'm getting lower speeds than other phones on Sprint (like the S4 or the EVO LTE). I think I read something about how the Nexus doesn't have separate chips/radios for CDMA and LTE. Could that be causing a problem with my voice connectivity? 

Data connectivity has always sucked  for me (different issue) - but voice/texting was always reliable on my other phones. With the Nexus, voice/texting has gone pretty bad too - and it seems to not want to roam either (I was left with zero voice/data connectivity in the middle of the city, where my other phone (EVO LTE) had good coverage (even data). Updated PRL/profile - even swapped the Nexus phone with Google.

Sorry - don't mean this to be a rant. I have been with Sprint for a pretty long time and am a relatively happy customer. Just want to sort out this connectivity issue with my new phone, and hoping that folks here can provide some ideas (Sprint tech support claimed to be clueless and recommended switching to another phone instead)

From browsing this thread, it still is unclear to me whether or not the Nexus 5 can connect to Band 41 even after enabling Band 41 in the settings. Because no one has successfully reported a connection, it seems that our phones cannot connect at this time. Is that the consensus? 

I would like to know too.  Also, would there be a difference in where you bought the phone (i.e. phones bought from sprint already have access to band 41 while those bought from the play store do not)?

I'm curious only because there's this thought in the back in my mind that even after 'early 2014' comes around and all nexus 5's get the update maybe they'll also have trouble connecting to band 41 as opposed to those nexus 5's bought directly through sprint.

I would like to know too.  Also, would there be a difference in where you bought the phone (i.e. phones bought from sprint already have access to band 41 while those bought from the play store do not)?

I'm curious only because there's this thought in the back in my mind that even after 'early 2014' comes around and all nexus 5's get the update maybe they'll also have trouble connecting to band 41 as opposed to those nexus 5's bought directly through sprint.

People have repeatedly asked the differences between Sprint and Google play versions of the N5. They are identical. Besides the packaging and the sim card being included with the sprint version. 

People have repeatedly asked the differences between Sprint and Google play versions of the N5. They are identical. Besides the packaging and the sim card being included with the sprint version. 

I realize(d) this.

However though the devices are identical, sprint has them registered differently in their system.  Case in point, people had trouble activating the 32gb models with sprint.  Why?  Because sprint had not registered the nexus 5's bought from the play store.

Additionally, the sprint versions do say something about a software block allowing for only Sprint.  Again, I realize many people have successfully activated them on T-mobile regardless of Sprint's 'software block.'  However, I'm not sure if Sprint's software block is complete bs.  I mention this only to emphasize that Sprint may have loaded something different into Sprint nexus 5's as opposed to those from the Google play store.

I don't know really.  I just can't wait for early 2014 with spark/nexus 5.

Wow. Who would have thought that putting those two little arrow icons to show data activity would have caused such a performance hit that Google themselves decided to take them out of the status bar. Oh well... That just leads me to believe that Google would not even be close to allowing Sprint to put the Spark icon on the Nexus 5.

• Like 2

So I got my Nexus 5 screen protector in the mail (the zagg invisibleShield variant)... Still waiting for that "shipped" email for my Nexus 5. The 26th is next week, but it seems like I've been waiting forever.

• Like 1

yeah - I read that bit about how Sprint is now showing it differently (kinda sneaky if ya ask me! lol!)

But the issue is that I'm getting lower speeds than other phones on Sprint (like the S4 or the EVO LTE). I think I read something about how the Nexus doesn't have separate chips/radios for CDMA and LTE. Could that be causing a problem with my voice connectivity?

Data connectivity has always sucked for me (different issue) - but voice/texting was always reliable on my other phones. With the Nexus, voice/texting has gone pretty bad too - and it seems to not want to roam either (I was left with zero voice/data connectivity in the middle of the city, where my other phone (EVO LTE) had good coverage (even data). Updated PRL/profile - even swapped the Nexus phone with Google.

Sorry - don't mean this to be a rant. I have been with Sprint for a pretty long time and am a relatively happy customer. Just want to sort out this connectivity issue with my new phone, and hoping that folks here can provide some ideas (Sprint tech support claimed to be clueless and recommended switching to another phone instead)

If you read back a few pages you will see a couple of us have this issue. It was stated that it is most likely eCFSB ISSUE which you can read more about on the wall. Or, in this thread if you go back. I too lose signal very frequently when on the global and LTE settings in mobile network. If I switch to 3g the problem disappears.

This only happens in certain areas of my city, but both of the places I am most of the time (work and home), but not at school. This leads my to believe that the towers near me haven't been updated to properly support trip band phones yet. A few have 3g only upgrades.

If you have sponsorship look at the coverage nap to see towers in your area.

What you can do until your towers are upgraded, is set your mobile network to 3g. This will insure you still get your texts and calls on time. If you can't deal with 3g only, then I suggest you go back to using your single band phone until sprint gets around to fixing the issue.

Again, you can get more info on the issue by reading the article on the wall, or going through this thread, or the nexus 5 issues thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I realize(d) this.

However though the devices are identical, sprint has them registered differently in their system.  Case in point, people had trouble activating the 32gb models with sprint.  Why?  Because sprint had not registered the nexus 5's bought from the play store.

Additionally, the sprint versions do say something about a software block allowing for only Sprint.  Again, I realize many people have successfully activated them on T-mobile regardless of Sprint's 'software block.'  However, I'm not sure if Sprint's software block is complete bs.  I mention this only to emphasize that Sprint may have loaded something different into Sprint nexus 5's as opposed to those from the Google play store.

I don't know really.  I just can't wait for early 2014 with spark/nexus 5.

My buddy shares a T-Mobile account with his N5 that he got directly from sprint. Also the 32gb activation issue had nothing to do with it being different, rather the imei just weren't updated into sprints system.

So I got my Nexus 5 screen protector in the mail (the zagg invisibleShield variant)... Still waiting for that "shipped" email for my Nexus 5. The 26th is next week, but it seems like I've been waiting forever.

I'm already bored with N5 .can't wait for N6 now. lol

Do u need a SIM remover tool for the one sold at sprint ?