Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I almost pulled the trigger a few minutes ago. How does 1x signal compare to other phones? I'm also waiting to see how it is vs other phones on lte BC 26 and/or 41

Sent from my HTC ONE from Tapatalk 2

I have been doing a lot of real world testing over the last 2 days between my nexus and my One and from what I am seeing 1x and 3g rf performance are basically the same between both devices.  The big difference though is in lte connectivity.  I have never seen such a discrepancy between two devices sitting in the same spot connected to the same tower.  Other users have already commented about this as well, I am easily seeing a difference on average of about 15dbm's in favor of the nexus when connected to lte. Now currently I am in St.Thomas and due to the island's topography and your typical building construction, things can get very frustrating when it comes to rf performance but I am getting lte in places I wouldn't think was possible and my One just stays on 3g and toggling does nothing.  Overall I still prefer the One but this nexus 5 is definitely an lte beast without a doubt and if lte performance is important to you then you need to buy this device right now.

• Like 8

I have been doing a lot of real world testing over the last 2 days between my nexus and my One and from what I am seeing 1x and 3g rf performance are basically the same between both devices.  The big difference though is in lte connectivity.  I have never seen such a discrepancy between two devices sitting in the same spot connected to the same tower.  Other users have already commented about this as well, I am easily seeing a difference on average of about 15dbm's in favor of the nexus when connected to lte. Now currently I am in St.Thomas and due to the island's topography and your typical building construction, things can get very frustrating when it comes to rf performance but I am getting lte in places I wouldn't think was possible and my One just stays on 3g and toggling does nothing.  Overall I still prefer the One but this nexus 5 is definitely an lte beast without a doubt and if lte performance is important to you then you need to buy this device right now.

This is what excites me. I have seen several locations where my One won't pickup LTE from a tower yet still gets a decent 3G signal. I suspect I will have to do some additional mapping on Sensorly once I get the Nexus on the network...

The LTE coverage is just phenomenal compared to the One/EVO 4G LTE/LGOG,GS4, etc.

No Sprint phone has been able to hold LTE in my home (new lowE glass windows + old school solid brick construction + old thick horsehair plaster walls) except the new Nexus 5.

The connection is solid.

• Like 7

if lte performance is important to you then you need to buy this device right now.

It's important to most of us around S4GRU. And for me, it's the number one priority in my daily driver. :tu:

As for AT&T, WCDMA RF Performance is worse than my HTC 8X and about the same as my Nexus 4. But worst of all, the WCDMA on the N5 using AT&T sufferss from death grip. I lose 15 to 20db anytime I pick up the device. :td: I haven't been able to use ATT LTE yet with it.

The Nexus Gods have shined their face upon Sprint RF performance in the Nexus 5. Sprint nerds rejoice!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 11

So glad I am not the only one having RF performance issues in certain places. Great review btw, I like how you worked "topography" in there. :D

St. Thomas is very small but has a lot of  hills and mountains so yeah I had to through that in there.

This is what excites me. I have seen several locations where my One won't pickup LTE from a tower yet still gets a decent 3G signal. I suspect I will have to do some additional mapping on Sensorly once I get the Nexus on the network...

I been mapping on senorly as well but the information has not been updating on the maps for my location. I need to contact those guys to see whats up.

The LTE coverage is just phenomenal compared to the One/EVO 4G LTE/LGOG,GS4, etc.

No Sprint phone has been able to hold LTE in my home (new lowE glass windows + old school solid brick construction + old thick horsehair plaster walls) except the new Nexus 5.

The connection is solid.

Yeah, it really is shocking to see the difference in lte performance.  It makes me really think that most of these phones really are pos's when it comes to lte performance.  I am now thinking that sprint really isn't that bad after all and its just these crappy devices, LOL.

• Like 1

cant wait to see comparison of lg g2 vs the nexus in terms the of the LTE connection.. Hopefully they are same for band 25..

I am curious to see how the g2 performs as well being that they are basically the same device.

• Like 1

In the past 12 months I've owned an iPhone 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy Note 2, Optimus G, HTC One (White Black and Red), GS4, BB Q10, Moto X, Galaxy Note 3 and now this Nexus 5.

I feel your pain. Haha.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How much did that cost you for those devices?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

For those who are getting good battery life, did you do anything different to optimize it? I just went into location services and noticed a setting was listed as "High Accuracy". I switched it to "Battery Saving" as i am getting terrible battery life. I have been off charger for around 2 hours and am at 89% with hardly any usage. I may do a factory reset tonight if this setting does not improve it.

I been mapping on senorly as well but the information has not been updating on the maps for my location. I need to contact those guys to see whats up.

Yeah, it really is shocking to see the difference in lte performance.  It makes me really think that most of these phones really are pos's when it comes to lte performance.  I am now thinking that sprint really isn't that bad after all and its just these crappy devices, LOL.

I wonder if it is just Sensorly being slow (as it sometimes is) to update or device specific?

The phones are half the experience of the network, if you have a lot of dogs out there people are going to conclude the network is bad. Now to be fair to the HTC One, it still blows my old Samsung Intercept out of the water (talk about a POS).

You go to settings>mobile networks>carrier settings and update the profile or PRL there.

We mean manually, so we can decide which PRL to flash rather than letting Sprint decide.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been waiting to see some real world performance with the Nexus 5. Reading all this just might make me go out and pick this thing up. My last several phones have been HTC so I think I'm ready for a change.

Thanks to everybody for contributing their experiences.

For those who are getting good battery life, did you do anything different to optimize it? I just went into location services and noticed a setting was listed as "High Accuracy". I switched it to "Battery Saving" as i am getting terrible battery life. I have been off charger for around 2 hours and am at 89% with hardly any usage. I may do a factory reset tonight if this setting does not improve it.

Battery life was pretty decent for me yesterday but today its definitely not as good, especially compared to my One.

Three issues I've noticed that I haven't seen anyone else mention:

• When making a call to a conference bridge from my address book (888-555-1212,,12345678#) it never dials the bridge extension in the default dialer. GrooveIP works.
  • If I'm in the camera and take a pic, then view it in the gallery and delete it, my camera controls don't come back right away.
  • When I take a pic and swipe over to the gallery and then swipe back, I still have the gallery action bar at the top of the camera which keeps me from tapping on the image preview for the next picture.
  • Like 1

I turned off about half of the sync's under my Google account. I have been unplugged for about 3 hours with moderate/heavy use and still have 85% battery life.

EDIT: I also have the screen brightness fairly low, but I am used to that.

Yeah, even compared to my S4 the battery does seem to be mediocre at best like Robert was saying also.  I have been off charger for 4 hours and am at 49%.  This will be my second full day with the device.  I seemed to get much better performance yesterday so maybe it is some app I installed.

The connection is solid.

Those of us that cannot even connect to LTE are jealous  :blink:

• Like 2

Case - delivered

SIM card - out for delivery

32GB Black N5 - leaves warehouse 11/26/2013

16GB White N5 - leaves warehouse 12/3/2013

Hurry up and wait. 

• Like 3