Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I wonder is it's a Sprint wide issue because I need to toggle airplane mode on my Note 2 sometimes to get LTE reconnected again.

It's very annoying especially when i'm trying to watch a Youtube video or something.

I have been doing a lot of real world testing over the last 2 days between my nexus and my One and from what I am seeing 1x and 3g rf performance are basically the same between both devices. The big difference though is in lte connectivity. I have never seen such a discrepancy between two devices sitting in the same spot connected to the same tower. Other users have already commented about this as well, I am easily seeing a difference on average of about 15dbm's in favor of the nexus when connected to lte. Now currently I am in St.Thomas and due to the island's topography and your typical building construction, things can get very frustrating when it comes to rf performance but I am getting lte in places I wouldn't think was possible and my One just stays on 3g and toggling does nothing. Overall I still prefer the One but this nexus 5 is definitely an lte beast without a doubt and if lte performance is important to you then you need to buy this device right now.

That doesn't surprise me. I compared the Note2 and HTC One on LTE connectivity between outside, by a window and in a back room. The HTC One was a bit better than the EVO LTE was but to put it bluntly the RF performance was still a huge failure.

Glad to see LG got this one right! Curious to compare it on the 850 side of things and 800 as well.

Does charging with the screen on seem really slow for anyone else, or is it my funky USB cable?

Idk if this could be similar, but charging my Nexus 7 and having daydream on actually makes my Nexus waste battery instead of charge it.

I've tried it with both the computer and a wall charger.

-Luis

Hey guys, I've noticed a weird thing about my new Nexus 5's screen. When held up to the light you can see matrix, almost like of pixels but they seem to large to be pixels. This can be seen when light is glaring off the screen especially, even if the screen is off. Is anyone else experiencing this, or just me?

Please check out these two pictures and you can kind of see what I'm talking about:

https://plus.google.com/photos/104516918460631197439/albums/5943554367104392385

Thanks!

Hey guys, I've noticed a weird thing about my new Nexus 5's screen. When held up to the light you can see matrix, almost like of pixels but they seem to large to be pixels. This can be seen when light is glaring off the screen especially, even if the screen is off. Is anyone else experiencing this, or just me?

Please check out these two pictures and you can kind of see what I'm talking about:

Thanks!

That happens with the Nexus 7 and it used to happen to my Asus Transformer Prime as well.

-Luis

I wonder is it's a Sprint wide issue because I need to toggle airplane mode on my Note 2 sometimes to get LTE reconnected again.

It's very annoying especially when i'm trying to watch a Youtube video or something.

We cannot even connect by airplane toggle or reboot. Not a single LTE connection (unless you go into the testing screen and force it into LTE Only mode, but then you have no voice connection).

I'm actually doing some testing right now. I'm using the supplied LG charger, but I'm using a different cable because it's longer. I'll post the results when I'm done.

Ok, after testing it looks like it's my cable:

10:00 to 10:10 on Monoprice cable with LG charger, screen on: 41% to 42%
10:10 to 10:20 on Monoprice cable with LG charger, screen off: 42% to 47%

10:20 to 10:30 on LG cable with LG charger, screen on: 47% to 54%
10:30 to 10:40 on LG cable with LG charger, screen off: 54% to 64%
  • Like 5

Ok, after testing it looks like it's my cable:

10:00 to 10:10 on Monoprice cable with LG charger, screen on: 41% to 42%
10:10 to 10:20 on Monoprice cable with LG charger, screen off: 42% to 47%

10:20 to 10:30 on LG cable with LG charger, screen on: 47% to 54%
10:30 to 10:40 on LG cable with LG charger, screen off: 54% to 64%

Found the issue. :D

Does charging with the screen on seem really slow for anyone else, or is it my funky USB cable?

Yes.  Using the 1.2amp charger that came with it, while actively using the device, kept the battery at the same percentage.  It only went up 1% after an hour.  But switching to one of my 2amp chargers solved that issue.

Robert

Thanks!

Yes. Almost any capacitive touch screen devices will show some level of 'grids' if you will when you see it under certain lighting conditions.  They are the matrix lines for the capacitive touch screen.

I dropped my phone (almost had a panic attack) and visually nothing happened. However, I just picked it up to make a phone call and when I put it against my ear I tapped it on the top of the backplate with my finger and I could hear some plastic rattle sound (which doesn't happen if I tap it on the bottom of the backplate). I'm afraid I broke off something on the inside? Or maybe I'm just paranoid after having dropped it... Could anyone confirm if tapping on the top of the backplate (while near the ear, otherwise can't hear) produces some type of plastic rattle sound?

Not sure about tapping but I do hear a slight rattling when I shake my phone near my ear... that's normal.

So about the 160 character text limit on Hangouts - some users on Android Central are saying that their's is allowing them to text past 160 and it's auto splitting like most other text apps.

Can everyone that has one so far confirm that it does or does not let you text past 160 characters?

I've seen mentioned the power buttons rattle and the OIS in the camera rattles.  Doesn't bother me I guess.  I wouldn't be surprised if every Nexus 5 power buttons rattles. Hold the power button when you tap and I bet the rattle goes away.

Three issues I've noticed that I haven't seen anyone else mention:

• When making a call to a conference bridge from my address book (888-555-1212,,12345678#) it never dials the bridge extension in the default dialer. GrooveIP works.

What was your previous device/manufacture skin?  I have noticed when switching between AOSP/CM and Samsung's TW they have a different button combo for entering pauses and waits.  Each time I switch, I have to update those in my address book entries.

Thanks!

Could just be the reflection of the digitizer on the back side of the glass.  

So about the 160 character text limit on Hangouts - some users on Android Central are saying that their's is allowing them to text past 160 and it's auto splitting like most other text apps.

Can everyone that has one so far confirm that it does or does not let you text past 160 characters?

Using hangout, I can't go further than 160 characters so I switched to handcent and disabled hangouts for my sms.

Lots of people are complaining about the screen lock/phone power button being lose.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2508468

one of many threads at XDA.

No issues for me personally, at least not yet(knocks on wood).

• Like 1

What was your previous device/manufacture skin?  I have noticed when switching between AOSP/CM and Samsung's TW they have a different button combo for entering pauses and waits.  Each time I switch, I have to update those in my address book entries.

OctOS and TouchWiz didn't give me any problems. I did go back in and edit it on the Nexus 5 and it didn't improve.