Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Are there likely to be any repercussions to the device in the long haul by using a 2amp charger? 

No. If you plug in your laptop to a circuit that is rated for 30 amps versus another that is rated for 15 amps will anything different happen?  Nope.  Amps != Volts

• Like 2

You guys have completely convinced me to pick up a device with my student loan money lol.  

I have done much more frivolous things than that with student loans back in my day.  When I consider I paid years of interest on food.  Something that I only used for a few hours.  At least you will get up to 2 years usage on a smartphone.  :lol:

Not that I would encourage such behavior.  Unless it was to Sponsor S4GRU.  ;)

Robert

• Like 6

I have done much more frivolous things than that with student loans back in my day.  When I consider I paid years of interest on food.  Something that I only used for a few hours.  At least you will get up to 2 years usage on a smartphone.   :lol:

Not that I would encourage such behavior.  Unless it was to Sponsor S4GRU.   ;)

Robert

It already has sponsored S4GRU.  Now I'm just paying for the new device so I can fit in with all the cool kids lol.

• Like 4

No. If you plug in your laptop to a circuit that is rated for 30 amps versus another that is rated for 15 amps will anything different happen?  Nope.  Amps != Volts

Just wanted to be sure.  With the embedded battery I'd rather not take any chances, but I know you guys know your stuff so I completely trust your judgement.

I see that all the time with my ONE, according to SignalCheck. Still shows the LTE or EVDO signal while connected to WiFi.

Oh ok, guess I never really noticed before.

I have done much more frivolous things than that with student loans back in my day.  When I consider I paid years of interest on food.  Something that I only used for a few hours.  At least you will get up to 2 years usage on a smartphone.   :lol:

Not that I would encourage such behavior.  Unless it was to Sponsor S4GRU.   ;)

Robert

Been there, done that. I still have some of the debt and fat to get rid of. :wall:

• Like 3

Just wanted to be sure. With the embedded battery I'd rather not take any chances, but I know you guys know your stuff so I completely trust your judgement.

You could plug in your device to a 10 amp USB charger with no issues. The device would still only use what it needs. Just like plugging in a little LED night light into a 20 amp circuit all by itself.

It's not good when you go the other way. A 2.0 amp device trying to charge from an old 0.3 amp charger is not a good thing at all.

You could plug in your device to a 10 amp USB charger with no issues. The device would still only use what it needs. Just like plugging in a little LED night light into a 20 amp circuit all by itself.

It's not good when you go the other way. A 2.0 amp device trying to charge from an old 0.3 amp charger is not a good thing at all.

That begs the question, why not ship devices with higher amperage chargers to begin with?  Can't think of anyone who wouldn't want their phone to charge faster.  Just to keep cost down?

That begs the question, why not ship devices with higher amperage chargers to begin with? Can't think of anyone who wouldn't want their phone to charge faster. Just to keep cost down?

Bingo. If the device doesn't need the big charger why spend the money on the bigger charger. Not all batteries and charger circuits are designed the same.

• Like 1

You guys have completely convinced me to pick up a device with my student loan money lol.  That may sound irresponsible, but I'm going to tell myself I need it for academic reasons, which may be very true.

Haha.. I am in the same boat, no need for a new device right now, but I am trying to convince myself that it's for educational (development) purposes.. ;)

-Mike

• Like 3

Switched from a GS3 to Nexus 5. I also have Sprint integration with Google Voice.

I'm getting these weird SMSs from shortcodes:

zHpZL1Zl.png

I get ones from another shortcode that are even more garbled. Calling that number says something like "Our records indicate you are calling from a SMS voice messaging equipped phone. Press 1 if you recently bought a phone that cannot do this."

Should I press one? I don't want to make some change that's going to break something.

I have done much more frivolous things than that with student loans back in my day.  When I consider I paid years of interest on food.  Something that I only used for a few hours.

That is like beer.  You do not buy beer -- you rent it.  Now, if you pay interest on beer, ouch!

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Amps != Volts.

But Amps x Volts = Watts.  Therefore, the higher the current, the more 'power' thus more heat dissipation.  Unless the phone / charging system as a current limiter to match the battery, I would just use the charger that came with the manufacturer.

Supposedly it's the word out there that the slower the battery charges, the longer the battery life expectancy, especially if it's non removable. 

• Like 1

I ordered 32 gb white yesterday afternoon and just received ups tracking. I picked 2 day shipping.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Nice. I put an order for a black 32 and it still just saying "leaves 2-3 weeks"...... My sims haven't even shipped from Sprint.

Switched from a GS3 to Nexus 5. I also have Sprint integration with Google Voice.

I'm getting these weird SMSs from shortcodes:

zHpZL1Zl.png

I get ones from another shortcode that are even more garbled. Calling that number says something like "Our records indicate you are calling from a SMS voice messaging equipped phone. Press 1 if you recently bought a phone that cannot do this."

Should I press one? I don't want to make some change that's going to break something.

There is a way to go into the Gmail settings and unintegrate them, have to be on a computer to do it a believe. Then reintegrate through the phone app. This may or may not work. Worked for some customers when I worked at Sprint.

Side note, TINY DEATH STAR  :tu:

Haha.. I am in the same boat, no need for a new device right now, but I am trying to convince myself that it's for educational (development) purposes.. ;)

-Mike

I just got my ONE in June, it is now for sale while I wait for my nexus 5! Going back to mt EVOlte

Nice. I put an order for a black 32 and it still just saying "leaves 2-3 weeks"...... My sims haven't even shipped from Sprint.

There is a way to go into the Gmail settings and unintegrate them, have to be on a computer to do it a believe. Then reintegrate through the phone app. This may or may not work. Worked for some customers when I worked at Sprint.

Side note, TINY DEATH STAR  :tu:

Doh. Tried that and when re-adding GV/Sprint integration GV says it could not set my Google Voice number. Maybe I should wait awhile before trying to re-add it.

And hell yeah Tiny Death Star!

• Like 1

-Mike

It tough... I keep looking at my bank account just telling myself to do it already lol

• Like 2

Same here, with Ericsson in Orlando.

Do you have any issues with other towers/areas with connecting to LTE? The strange thing is that I can connect to LTE at home and multiple other towers while driving around. It's only the one by my work which is where I have always used it the most with my Note 2

• Like 1

As far as the SignalCheck issues go, as far as I can tell so far the system doesn't actually report any 1X data at all while connected to LTE. Throwing the phone into 1X or 3G mode will report CDMA info. Every app is likely to have this issue unless the Android framework itself is fixed to report the data being collected by the radio that's visible in the debug app (disassembling the APK might give some clue as to where to get this info from, like it did for getting the GCI on HTC devices).

I really think that AJ actually nailed the issue in his post here -- the lack of SVLTE support is likely the reason for this. The CDMA radio is being turned off while connected to LTE, but when it is needed, it switches LTE off and CDMA back on. If the radio is off, SignalCheck and your app aren't wrong -- it's not connected to a 1X site.

For what it's worth, afazel (thanks!) has been helping me out with some testing.. I can confirm that none of the built-in Android routines are returning any CDMA info while the Nexus 5 is connected to LTE. The old-school routines that SignalCheck uses and the newer Android API functions only report LTE data while connected to LTE on the Nexus 5. No CDMA information at all.

-Mike

• Like 6

Doh. Tried that and when re-adding GV/Sprint integration GV says it could not set my Google Voice number. Maybe I should wait awhile before trying to re-add it.

And hell yeah Tiny Death Star!

Did it stop the coded messages from coming in? If so that original problem is fixed. The voice system might need time to apply the changes.

I just started playing Tiny Death Star today! HA

Do you have any issues with other towers/areas with connecting to LTE? The strange thing is that I can connect to LTE at home and multiple other towers while driving around. It's only the one by my work which is where I have always used it the most with my Note 2

Exactly the same as you! I can see LTE connect elsewhere while drving around, but LTE from the towers near my home & work will not work unless I force LTE. The two towers near me, which are giving me these problems, are around Curry Ford & Goldenrod and Curry Ford & Semoron.

Edited by Shiki8