Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I'm on the old .17 baseband

Sent from my Nexus 5

I am also on the old .17 and was able to connect to B 41.  I found a tower that was an old Clearwire tower that had Wimax, or I guess still has wimax on it.  Anyways, I was able to connect to it and pull a max of 58 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.  I found another Sprint tower with both B25 and B41 and it took me a few tries of doing the PRL update trick to connect to it. I was about to give up after 3 tries and then moved a little further aways and tried the PRL trick 3 more times and was finally able to connect.  

• Like 1

I was on the 17 baseband but was only able to connect for a few seconds. I switched back to the 23 baseband and was able to stay on long enough to get the above. 23 still has issues though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I tried that PRL trick to get band 41. It didn't work for me. It would connect to band 41 for a split second then I get kicked off and the phone goes into roaming.

Has anyone experience this?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Have had the same issue.

Sorry to go off topic but just a quick question for all the Nexus 5 owners.  I currently have a S3.  When I do a hard reset I just erase the phone not the Memory card I have installed.  That way I don't have to transfer all of my music back to my phone, all 17 gb worth which takes a while.  Since the Nexus doesn't have a separate memory card I assume everything would get erased including your music on the internal memory, is that correct?  I understand there are other ways to have my music (ie "the cloud") but I don't want it this way, I want it on the phone itself.  Thanks for the info.

Well, I hope you're getting a 32GB. :)

I don't think normal factory resets EDIT: phone wipes from recovery wipe the "internal SD card" partition (where your music will be if you put it on the phone). A wipe from the settings menu will delete everything, though. I'm not sure on this, so experts please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure the "Internal SD card" partition is only wiped if you purposefully do so in recovery or if you flask stock images. But you don't need to wipe the internal sd card partition to flash a new ROM anyway, as no system data that could mess up a ROM is in the internal sd card partition.

If I ever need to flash stock, I have a folder labeled "Music" on my desktop with everything in it. USB 3.0 helps too.

And you may want to look into one of these: http://www.meenova.com/

I funded it on kickstarter and occasionally use it for movies on my nexus 7. You need root to use it on nexus devices, but since you are asking about factory resetting I'm assuming you will root your nexus 5.

• Like 1

Performing a factory reset through the settings menu on the Nexus will erase everything. Music, photos, and videos will be gone.

Thanks. Post edited.

I am on the .15 baseband, and it performs well. I find it scans for all of the LTE bands More often, without a PRL update, or airplane mode toggle. Maybe one of y'all can try it around those b41 Live sites?

I am also on the old .17 and was able to connect to B 41. I found a tower that was an old Clearwire tower that had Wimax, or I guess still has wimax on it. Anyways, I was able to connect to it and pull a max of 58 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.

Just to be clear.. you were not connecting to WiMAX with your Nexus 5. It isn't capable of doing so.

-Mike

Just to be clear.. you were not connecting to WiMAX with your Nexus 5. It isn't capable of doing so.-Mike

If I saw wimax speed like that My jaw would drop haha :P
  • Like 1

So no series of PRL/Profile/Airplane/Restart will get me onto Band 41 here in KC despite being in a "Turbo" area as designated by Sprint maps.

Did you mean can not get you onto band 41?

So no series of PRL/Profile/Airplane/Restart will get me onto Band 41 here in KC despite being in a "Turbo" area as designated by Sprint maps.

I cannot get B41 in my area as well.  I'm on baseband .17, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...

So I went ahead and got the 32g from Google play and returned the one from Sprint. Well I think some things may be a bit off.. It seems to hold on to 1x when driving far longer than the other nexus 5 or even my iPhone. It also does not show the little r that indicates roaming when I'm roaming like the other nexus did. Finally last night I set the phone on the wireless charger and woke up to a dead phone. When I plugged it directly to the wall I got a quick flagging red light and then a couple of minutes later I was able to turn it on and it showed 20% battery.

Any how. Are there any network settings I may be doing wrong?

Just to be clear.. you were not connecting to WiMAX with your Nexus 5. It isn't capable of doing so.

-Mike

Sorry, I should have clarified.  I meant when I had my HTC EVO3D, it would connect to WIMAX to that tower and looking at the maps on here, that tower is a Clearwire tower and has no "Sprint" equipment on it.  Obviously now it is a Sprint tower since Sprint now owns Clearwire, but it is a tower with only WIMAX and LTE Band 41 along with some other carriers equipment.

if i buy one of google play will it work sprints network or due i have to buy it else where?

Any Nexus 5 bought from the Play Store is able to be activated on Sprint.

so all lte bands work? Tri?

Kind of. The Nexus 5 has not received the "Spark" update from Google/Sprint yet. If you acquire your MSL # you are able to manually activate the other bands. Users have had mixed results with this method.

But yes, the 16/32/black/red/white Nexus 5 from the Play Store are all Sprint approved and capable devices. They are all created equal and all run the exact same software with the exact same hardware (other than color and storage size). The only Nexus 5 that can not currently be activated on Sprint is a handset bought from T-Mobile. T-Mobile handsets have not had the ESN added to the Sprint ESN whitelist.

i just want 800 band 

As described above, the phone WILL work with 800 band.  Just not currently.  We need to wait for the Spark update for our device to work.  Patience is key, the update is supposed to arrive Q12014 (which is kind of right around the corner...).