Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

They made me bring mine in but they basically just took my phone, put the sim in and let me take it home and activate it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Just got the Red Nexus.  It's more "Hunter Orange" than red.  It's damn bright though!

Anyways, I took mine to the store.  I said "just give me the SIM and I'll activate it myself" but the tech said that since it's an inventory piece, they can't let me walk out without it being activated.

One piece of advice:  If the tech tries to scan the back of your phone for the IMEI # and it comes up invalid, tell him to scan the box instead.  For some reason, the box worked, but the back of the phone didn't.

I didn't have time to go through the unlocking and rooting process.  I'm going to attempt it this weekend.

Love the phone so far. Glad to FINALLY pickup LTE in the Detroit area.  

• Like 1

And I was going to put "those things you use at the gym...oh wait..nevermind.." :)   Speaking of that..  every time I come back from the gym passing the Popeye's and Raising Canes with the windows and sun roof open creates a huge temptation that is hard to resist!

Naked tenders.

How is it with NFC? I have the Spigen Ultra Hybrid case and my NFC never works right until I take it off.

Great question. I've only used NFC once. I was at Walgreens. It said it connected but was unable to connect through to Google Wallet servers. I believed it was a GW problem and not an NFC problem. But I haven't tried it since.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I ordered a black 32gig for myself last night(almost ordered the red one, just to bright for me). Gonna root and unlock band 41 and set it for priority when  I get it. I go to school by a live band 41 tower. Going to see how fast it'll be. I've been dying to test it as I got my girlfriend a white 32gig for christmas, but she wont let me play with it.

Not true. My local store actually told me the Play store was cheaper for the phone, and if I got one from Google, to just come into the store and they would give me a SIM. 

Technically you can activate the phone without a SIM even installed beforehand. But, I'm sure they would want to see the phone just to make sure you aren't using it on AT&T or T-Mobile before they give you a SIM. 

I went into a local corporate store before my N5 arrived in November; they knew what I needed, but weren't too certain about how they were supposed to give it to me.. a tech eventually came out from the back room with one he folded up in a little piece of paper and just sent me on my way. I believe that now the procedure is they are supposed to "sell" it to you for free through their system, so they probably need the phone activated so the SIM sale can be properly recorded on your account.

I don't think it has anything to do with where you bought it, they just need to keep track of their inventory if a SIM is going out the door. Plus, it prevents those who are less savvy from generating a support call to Customer Care later blaming the store for not helping them get their phone working.

-Mike

I went into a local corporate store before my N5 arrived in November; they knew what I needed, but weren't too certain about how they were supposed to give it to me.. a tech eventually came out from the back room with one he folded up in a little piece of paper and just sent me on my way. I believe that now the procedure is they are supposed to "sell" it to you for free through their system, so they probably need the phone activated so the SIM sale can be properly recorded on your account.

I don't think it has anything to do with where you bought it, they just need to keep track of their inventory if a SIM is going out the door. Plus, it prevents those who are less savvy from generating a support call to Customer Care later blaming the store for not helping them get their phone working.

-Mike

I think they can just sell it like an accessory without attaching it to an account, most stores just don't realize it. When I got mine they didn't even log into my account, granted I knew the whole staff well. I didn't even have the n5 yet.

The way that I have been told to do it at my store is if you have tep write a ticket and then replace the sim under your insurance. Without tep it costs 75. Technically it is a part that we're using to fix a problem so without insurance it's like repairing a broken earpiece or something to that extent.

I personally don't understand why it's that way but the logic is there I suppose.

The way that I have been told to do it at my store is if you have tep write a ticket and then replace the sim under your insurance. Without tep it costs 75. Technically it is a part that we're using to fix a problem so without insurance it's like repairing a broken earpiece or something to that extent.

I personally don't understand why it's that way but the logic is there I suppose.

That is completely wrong, and does not follow the Sprint guidelines. Someone in the store just made that shit up. That is nowhere near the correct procedure. Memo regarding the Red Nexus launch reaffirms the proper procedure.

nebetu8y.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

-Mike

I was pretty ticked off. Called in a complaint about the store. (maybe I should not have). If they are tracking them all the have to do is sell it under my account. Both the store and sprint care said their is no charge for the card. There is no store in my town and this one is an hour away. I order one through sprint international but it is on back order and from comments here I can be in for a long wait.

I can under stand that they do. Not want to had them out hand over fist. I just am not happy about having to make a special trip to get it. I am will be in the area of another corp store this weekend so will try in person this weekend. Maybe I will luck out.

All I know about the sim card problem is that I walked into a corp store and walked right out with a Sim card. Went home to activate my nexus and that is where I had a problem. I couldn't get it to activate, so went back to the store and they activated it, and was back home in less than 15 min. This was about 2 wks ago. Really no problem for me. Located in south mpls. Maybe MN nice.

• Like 1

That is completely wrong, and does not follow the Sprint guidelines. Someone in the store just made that shit up. That is nowhere near the correct procedure. Memo regarding the Red Nexus launch reaffirms the proper procedure. Posted ImageSent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Which would be fine if I had rms but we haven't got that system yet...

So has anyone else had trouble making a three way call on this phone? Both times the phone dropped the call each time that I tried to do this...

Just download zello. Walkie-talkie with unlimited users haha. I personally haven't tried 3 way calling in years.

I tried that PRL trick to get band 41. It didn't work for me. It would connect to band 41 for a split second then I get kicked off and the phone goes into roaming.

Has anyone experience this?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I tried that PRL trick to get band 41. It didn't work for me. It would connect to band 41 for a split second then I get kicked off and the phone goes into roaming.

Has anyone experience this?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'll be in Kansas City surrounded by live TD-LTE sites tonight. We'll see what happens...

• Like 3

I already do :D .

Sorry to go off topic but just a quick question for all the Nexus 5 owners.  I currently have a S3.  When I do a hard reset I just erase the phone not the Memory card I have installed.  That way I don't have to transfer all of my music back to my phone, all 17 gb worth which takes a while.  Since the Nexus doesn't have a separate memory card I assume everything would get erased including your music on the internal memory, is that correct?  I understand there are other ways to have my music (ie "the cloud") but I don't want it this way, I want it on the phone itself.  Thanks for the info.

Edited by twospirits
Moved post into correct section