Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I returned that case since most of my headphones and line in wires wouldn't fit.  A lot of my USB cables wouldn't either.  Ended up with the Seidio Dilex case since I needed the clip anyways for bike rides and other outdoor activities where leaving the phone in the pocket isn't an option.

What are headphones?  I only use bluetooth streaming to my car.  Otherwise, I don't use headphones at all.  I have met one charger that was too big though.  

Robert

EvanA I have already read that post and understand what's going on, but what I don't get is when or off the N5 will get a software update or if my towers will be updated and in what time frame? I waited 3 years for LTE and then we get it and I'm punished for having a new phone. Looks like IMA have to get a older lte phone that is not triband. Thanks so much everyone

Given your location, and that it's a Samsung market, all the sites in your area *should* be CSFB ready. I have to wonder if there is a different issue going on here. Perhaps an issue with your SIM card. 

You have tried LTE Only (through the testing screen)? If it doesn't hold LTE when on that setting, then it is not a problem with the tower.

Welcome! Unlock the bootloader first; . . . .

-Mike

Thanks Mike.  Appreciate the help.  I'm being told by some Ting users of the Nexus 5 that installng the SIM card before first power up makes the activation process go much smoother.  If I can keep my paws off the power button until I get the SIM, I'll start by installing the SIM and then unlocking the boot loader as you suggest.  Then activation, then root and/or custom recovery.

DC

• Like 1

What are headphones?  I only use bluetooth streaming to my car.  Otherwise, I don't use headphones at all.  I have met one charger that was too big though.  

Robert

No bluetooth on my Pioneer deck but the 16gb micro SD card works well for that and no phone to mess with.  Headphones are those things you use at the gym and used for while at work so I don't have to listen to people talking to themselves, trying to be stealth in their burping and farting, etc. 

A few years ago I bought 20 of these cables after they kept walking off.  I hated the short cables they included with device chargers so I have them everywhere.  Great cables except for with that one case of course.  Of courese now with my Tylt wireless charger I never plug the Nexus5 into anything except in that rare case I need to transfer a big file.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5458&seq=1&format=2

• Like 3

No bluetooth on my Pioneer deck but the 16gb micro SD card works well for that and no phone to mess with.  Headphones are those things you use at the gym and used for while at work so I don't have to listen to people talking to themselves, trying to be stealth in their burping and farting, etc. 

A few years ago I bought 20 of these cables after they kept walking off.  I hated the short cables they included with device chargers so I have them everywhere.  Great cables except for with that one case of course.  Of courese now with my Tylt wireless charger I never plug the Nexus5 into anything except in that rare case I need to transfer a big file.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5458&seq=1&format=2

What's this gym thing you speak of?  Do they serve fried chicken??   :fingers:

Robert

• Like 6

What's this gym thing you speak of?  Do they serve fried chicken??   :fingers:

Robert

And I was going to put "those things you use at the gym...oh wait..nevermind.." :)   Speaking of that..  every time I come back from the gym passing the Popeye's and Raising Canes with the windows and sun roof open creates a huge temptation that is hard to resist!

• Like 1

As dedub said, unlock ASAP so you don't have to factory reset after you set it up. There are instructions on xda. And your warranty is "deactivated" while the boot loader is unlocked, but you can "re-activate" it by relocking. Which is just as easy as unlocking.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not sure if I want to root my found, but I'd like to unlock the bootloader.  If I do one (unlock) do I need to do the other (root).  Again, the rooting process looks complicated to me (just worrisome with my skill level).  Unlocking the bootloader looks pretty straightfoward.

Thanks again guys,.

Anyone living on the edge without a case? Been almost 2 months with my N5 and don't have a scratch on it. During the same timeframe from when I got my S3 last year, I had already gone through 2! (Thank god for best buy protection)

I'm right there with you. Hate putting cases on my phones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And I was going to put "those things you use at the gym...oh wait..nevermind.." :) Speaking of that.. every time I come back from the gym passing the Popeye's and Raising Canes with the windows and sun roof open creates a huge temptation that is hard to resist!

Raising Canes dipping sauce...emmmm. I've only had it once in Texas. But I could go for so e right now.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I'm not sure if I want to root my found, but I'd like to unlock the bootloader.  If I do one (unlock) do I need to do the other (root).  Again, the rooting process looks complicated to me (just worrisome with my skill level).  Unlocking the bootloader looks pretty straightfoward.

Thanks again guys,.

You can *unlock* without *rooting* (just leaves it stock that can be updated OTA normally).

But if you want root, (generally) you must unlock before you can root (aside from root exploits, that really are not needed with the ease of nexus unlocking).

Unlocking the bootloader does not change any of the software.

It simply allows you to write to the device system partitions in order to either modify the stock software (ie root) or install completely different software (ie custom roms/kernels/etc), if you CHOOSE to. Modifying or running custom roms is completely optional.

And I was going to put "those things you use at the gym...oh wait..nevermind.." :)   Speaking of that..  every time I come back from the gym passing the Popeye's and Raising Canes with the windows and sun roof open creates a huge temptation that is hard to resist!

Raising Canes dipping sauce...emmmm. I've only had it once in Texas. But I could go for so e right now.

Mmmmmm.... Raising Canes.  I haven't had that in too long.  That dipping sauce is so addicting.

I dislike plugging things in so much I use Bluetooth headset at the gym (that place that sells fried chicken ;) ).  Like digiblur I only plug in my Nexus when I need to transfer a big file or lots of files.  

Digiblur, do you have any heating issues with the Nexus 5 and the Tylt charger?  I have read that some people have issues with that, I personally have not but I did find that if I charge landscape that it does seem a lot cooler (25 C as opposed to between 35 and 40 C).

Read back a couple pages but didn't see anything - what's the status of the "January update"?

There has not been a January update ever announced for the Nexus 5.  Only one announced for "Early 2014."

Robert

• Like 3

I just tried that place today! Amazing chicken and sauce!
  • Like 1

I dislike plugging things in so much I use Bluetooth headset at the gym (that place that sells fried chicken ;) ).  Like digiblur I only plug in my Nexus when I need to transfer a big file or lots of files.  

Digiblur, do you have any heating issues with the Nexus 5 and the Tylt charger?  I have read that some people have issues with that, I personally have not but I did find that if I charge landscape that it does seem a lot cooler (25 C as opposed to between 35 and 40 C).

I haven't noticed anything.  I just throw it down and pick it up in the morning.  The case is a bit warmer but that's to be a expected, nothing crazy.  I haven't installed any app to look at the temp.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed anything.  I just throw it down and pick it up in the morning.  The case is a bit warmer but that's to be a expected, nothing crazy.  I haven't installed any app to look at the temp.

I have a TLYT charger also with no impact on temperature.  At least nothing noticeable.  I've been using it since Christmas.

So I tried to get my wife to pick up a sim card from the Corp. store by her work. They told her they can not give her the card and that I have to take the phone to them to get activated. From what I have read they should have been able to give me one.

Looks like I will have to wait for the back order one to come it.

So I tried to get my wife to pick up a sim card from the Corp. store buy her work. They told her they can not give her the card and that I have to take the phone to them to get activated. From what I have read they should have been able to give me one.

They made me bring mine in but they basically just took my phone, put the sim in and let me take it home and activate it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

So I tried to get my wife to pick up a sim card from the Corp. store by her work. They told her they can not give her the card and that I have to take the phone to them to get activated. From what I have read they should have been able to give me one.

Not true. My local store actually told me the Play store was cheaper for the phone, and if I got one from Google, to just come into the store and they would give me a SIM. 

Technically you can activate the phone without a SIM even installed beforehand. But, I'm sure they would want to see the phone just to make sure you aren't using it on AT&T or T-Mobile before they give you a SIM.