Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Anyone having MMS problems where the phone refuses to download the message or know how to get around it on hangouts? I keep getting the message "message not downloaded, touch to retry". I also get a red exclamation mark by the senders who sent me them. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This can happen if you are on .15 radio and you are connected to a band that doesn't have eCSFB active. I've had this happen several times.

• Like 1

When connected to just 3G..it shows I am connected to LTE band 51....however, the .15 radio shows band 50 when connected to just 3G Why the difference?

Neither 50 nor 51 are valid LTE bands.. it's just what is shown when not connected to LTE.

Anyone having MMS problems where the phone refuses to download the message or know how to get around it on hangouts? I keep getting the message "message not downloaded, touch to retry". I also get a red exclamation mark by the senders who sent me them. Thanks.

Someone else mentioned similar problems recently and I think they resolved it with a Profile update.. give that a try.

-Mike

Since a lot of you guys are now rooted following the Nexus update, I'd highly recommend downloading Franco Kernel Updater!  I have been using it for two months now (off and on), and there is certainly a big battery gain just by flashing the kernel.

You can try the free version-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.kernel.free

But I'd recommend supporting the dev and buying the full release.  If you are hesitant on spending $5.50 on an app (it's worth it) then you should build survey credit with Google Opinions and pay with that.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.kernel

• Like 1

Since a lot of you guys are now rooted following the Nexus update, I'd highly recommend downloading Franco Kernel Updater! I have been using it for two months now (off and on), and there is certainly a big battery gain just by flashing the kernel.

But I'd recommend supporting the dev and buying the full release. If you are hesitant on spending $5.50 on an app (it's worth it) then you should build survey credit with Google Opinions and pay with that.

Is he still NOPping fsync calls? I'd rather maintain my filesystem integrity.

Since a lot of you guys are now rooted following the Nexus update, I'd highly recommend downloading Franco Kernel Updater! I have been using it for two months now (off and on), and there is certainly a big battery gain just by flashing the kernel.

But I'd recommend supporting the dev and buying the full release. If you are hesitant on spending $5.50 on an app (it's worth it) then you should build survey credit with Google Opinions and pay with that.

What type of results are you seeing? Do you have any screenshots?

Is he still NOPping fsync calls? I'd rather maintain my filesystem integrity.

I'm largely unfamiliar with how he works with fsync calls, but I can see there is an enable and disable option in the Kernel Settings for it.

I've been using Franco's kernel since I got my n5. I get around 24-25 hours of usage with 3.5-4.25 hours of screen time at about 20ish percent brightness. with moderate usage(Facebook, email, wordament, Tapatalk, and about 1-2k texts a day). I'd put up some pictures but I just restored my phone and forgot to back up my photos...whoops lol:D.

• Like 1

It was a pretty noticeable change in battery life.  My phone went from dying in 10-12 hours to lasting 15-16 (3.5-4 hours of screen time).  I don't have any good screenshots to illustrate that though.

• Like 1

I've been using Franco's kernel since I got my n5. I get around 24-25 hours of usage with 3.5-4.25 hours of screen time at about 20ish percent brightness. with moderate usage(Facebook, email, wordament, Tapatalk, and about 1-2k texts a day). I'd put up some pictures but I just restored my phone and forgot to back up my photos...whoops lol:D.

1-2k texts per DAY? Holy crap!

1-2k texts per DAY? Holy crap!

Yeah I know its kind of a lot..its a bit more than doubled right now because I have 4 family members in danger of dying and have had one family in-law die already. My work let's me text throughout the day as long as it isn't constant. So that's how I've been keeping up to date and relaying the information further on. Usually its about 500ish a day, less on the days I don't work due to seeing the people I text. oh and yes I DO actually call people, with certain people texting is more convenient because you can wait to respond and drag the conversation out a bit.

Yeah I know its kind of a lot..its a bit more than doubled right now because I have 4 family members in danger of dying and have had one family in-law die already. My work let's me text throughout the day as long as it isn't constant. So that's how I've been keeping up to date and relaying the information further on. Usually its about 500ish a day, less on the days I don't work due to seeing the people I text. oh and yes I DO actually call people, with certain people texting is more convenient because you can wait to respond and drag the conversation out a bit.

wtf happened?

wtf happened?

89 year old grandpa decided to say f**k the medication, which led to them needing to do tests to look at his heart. Thee dye they used has messed his kidneys up pretty bad. Then my aunts'(by marrige) dad died three days after that. A few days after that my uncle got admitted to the hospital for pneumonia and they later found out he has stage 4 colon cancer after he wasn't getting better. Finally one of my aunt's(by marriage) has had her breast cancer come back and its now stage 5.

Things went from basically ok normal life to really sh***y for one side of my family essentially within the period of a week.

Edited by COZisBack
Post edited for Content under posting guidelines.

Insensitive much?

He didn't say you couldn't talk to him in a private message. Just

Anyways so what all benefits, and defects come from the Franco kernel

He didn't say you couldn't talk to him in a private message. Just

Anyways so what all benefits, and defects come from the Franco kernel

You can boost sound output and quality quite a bit. Battery life is loads better, really haven't noticed any downsides because he squashes bugs introduced by a new version in usually an hour or two. I wasn't trying to get off topic, it was just an explanation which led to and explanation....my badxD.

You can boost sound output and quality quite a bit. Battery life is loads better, really haven't noticed any downsides because he squashes bugs introduced by a new version in usually an hour or two. I wasn't trying to get off topic, it was just an explanation which led to and explanation....my badxD.

Oh no you are fine, hope the situation improves for them!

I may have to try it out as I have had extremely terrible battery life. I had to use my phone at work on Sunday(at Target) as a PDA because our system was down and I have to locate items and find Item numbers and prices. And battery barely made it 4 hours of on/off use.

Oh no you are fine, hope the situation improves for them!

I may have to try it out as I have had extremely terrible battery life. I had to use my phone at work on Sunday(at Target) as a PDA because our system was down and I have to locate items and find Item numbers and prices. And battery barely made it 4 hours of on/off use.

Honestly with Franco my n5 goes toe to toe with my friends g2, and I keep my brightness up higher than they do. In sustained downloading the g2 wins obviously, but with general day to day and standbys usage my n5 seems to win.

• Like 1

Same here. My Nexus has been awesome as far as battery goes with Franco on it. I run auto brightness with gps on battery savings and I easily make it all day unless I use it heavily. My M8 has been crap since I rooted it. There's just nothing like a nexus.

Side note. My voicemail notification doesn't work. It will send me a text from 9479 but won't do the normal vm symbol. What setting am I missing? I'm not running Google voice. Just straight phone setup.

• Like 1

I recently activated my Nexus 5 on Sprint just because I can. Here in the Raleigh, NC area, the LTE is good and strong in my house but when I'm out, I seem to be on 3G way more than LTE. I'm not sure if this is related to the eCSFB issue with legacy towers or if it's just that 1900 MHz covers like crap, but either way, this is going to get old really quick! I'm driving to NYC in two weeks so I'll be interested to see how coverage is up and down the I-95 corridor and I'm interested to try Spark while I'm there.

• Like 1

huh? :hmm:

Like constantly downloading a large file, the g2's larger battery gives it an edge.

I recently activated my Nexus 5 on Sprint just because I can. Here in the Raleigh, NC area, the LTE is good and strong in my house but when I'm out, I seem to be on 3G way more than LTE. I'm not sure if this is related to the eCSFB issue with legacy towers or if it's just that 1900 MHz covers like crap, but either way, this is going to get old really quick! I'm driving to NYC in two weeks so I'll be interested to see how coverage is up and down the I-95 corridor and I'm interested to try Spark while I'm there.

yeah what you're describing sounds exactly like ecsfb issues but this time related to the rollout of band 26.

My device out of the blue just lit up and did a profile update followed by a prl update.  Never seen a profile update get initiated by the network like that before.  Is it normal and I have just never seen it happen?

• Like 2