Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Has anyone with the new radio noticed the phone not picking up LTE from 3G? Toggling airplane mode gets the phone to pick up LTE and hold it fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Has anyone with the new radio noticed the phone not picking up LTE from 3G? Toggling airplane mode gets the phone to pick up LTE and hold it fine.

That happens a lot and when the phone loses b41 it drops straight to 3g when b25 and b26 is also available.

Getting a new phone tomorrow. Worried about getting the Nexus 5 now cuz of the radio update in android 4.4.3. How would you rank the following phones based on their radio?

Nexus 5

HTC One

LG G2

Galaxy S4

Moto X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That happens a lot and when the phone loses b41 it drops straight to 3g when b25 and b26 is also available.

The B41 -> 3G is network side and they're working on fixing that.  I wonder if 3G -> LTE is network side or a radio bug.

Getting a new phone tomorrow. Worried about getting the Nexus 5 now cuz of the radio update in android 4.4.3. How would you rank the following phones based on their radio?

Nexus 5

HTC One

LG G2

Galaxy S4

Moto X

Still go with the Nexus 5. 

• Like 2

Nexus 5

HTC One

LG G2

Galaxy S4

Moto X

Nexus is still king. You wouldn't think so by the way everyone complains about the new radios, myself included, but it really is a phenomenal RF performer. Best part, if you want the .15 radio performance you can easily just flash that radio.

• Like 3

I have to say, ever since I got the update my phone has been working beautiful! I have had no band 41 yet, but switching from band 25 to 26 and back has been really smooth. I hardly ever go to 3G now, if I do it switches back to 4G fairly quick. I even found a site that has band 26 working but not band 25. I even tried LTE only to get it and nothing. Must be a good market here.

Update: I did get some band 41 today 6/15/2014.

Nexus is still king. You wouldn't think so by the way everyone complains about the new radios, myself included, but it really is a phenomenal RF performer. Best part, if you want the .15 radio performance you can easily just flash that radio.

I would say a lot of people are coming around to liking this modem, especially since Sprint seems to be fixing the network issues that are affecting it.
  • Like 1

I get 3g to lte. And it's pretty snappy. Now if you hit a eCSFB non patched site you will stay at 3g til a reboot and airplane mode toggle.

Huh in my area (STL market) I'm always having to toggle airplane mode to get LTE even though there aren't many towers without eCSFB

I'm in NOLA and I'm at work in a cinder block building connected to wifi but my phone had been bouncing from 3g to LTE and back depending on where I am in the building.

Huh in my area (STL market) I'm always having to toggle airplane mode to get LTE even though there aren't many towers without eCSFB

Band 26 still has a lot of CSFB problems, and Band 41 towers appear to have some issues as well.

Band 26 still has a lot of CSFB problems, and Band 41 towers appear to have some issues as well.

Could a site still have issues even though the phone connects band 26 and holds it fine?

Edit: and just like that I see a seamless switch from 3G to LTE.

Could a site still have issues even though the phone connects band 26 and holds it fine?

Edit: and just like that I see a seamless switch from 3G to LTE.

It could be any site for miles causing problems given how far B26 can sometimes be picked up.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I have no complaints with the Nexus 5 or the new .13 radio. Works great on all LTE bands. LTE to 3G back to LTE works as it should, displaying where there are network issues. IMO This is the phone Sprint network engineers should be using to calibrate the network.

• Like 1

I have no complaints with the Nexus 5 or the new .13 radio. Works great on all LTE bands. LTE to 3G back to LTE works as it should, displaying where there are network issues. IMO This is the phone Sprint network engineers should be using to calibrate the network.

Network engineers and support personnel do predominantly use Nexus 5s and have been for many months.

• Like 3

Network engineers and support personnel do predominantly use Nexus 5s and have been for many months.

When you say network engineers, are you talking Sprint employees or Ericsson employees? Because I can assure you Ericsson is NOT using Nexus 5 for testing in any of the markets I travel through. The Houston crew does test with the LG G2, but as of last week, the NOLA crew is still testing with EVO LTEs and USB modems.

So the Sprint data coverage map is all yellow for the Fort Worth area but when you select your device (an N5 in this case) the map turns orange, or LTE-only and no Band 41/Spark.  Pick a handset like the G2 and it's back to yellow or showing Band 41/Spark service.

I thought that the 4.4.3 update was supposed to enable all three bands?

My DiL works in a downtown tall building and can only send and receive texts, there is no voice or data service though there are three towers neraby. 

I feel silly as I was telling her how much better service would be in the Metroplex versus Tulsa where they had to have an AirRave to use their phones at all. 

It's not her particular handset as I've got two other N5s that hardly worked at all when we were down there last weekend. 

• Like 1

So the Sprint data coverage map is all yellow for the Fort Worth area but when you select your device (an N5 in this case) the map turns orange, or LTE-only and no Band 41/Spark.  Pick a handset like the G2 and it's back to yellow or showing Band 41/Spark service.

I thought that the 4.4.3 update was supposed to enable all three bands?

The website is just not current.  That's all.

Robert

• Like 1

The website is just not current.  That's all.

Robert

But the website matches the actual lack of Spark service available on the N5.

But the website matches the actual lack of Spark service available on the N5.

But Spark service is available on the N5.

Robert

But Spark service is available on the N5.

Robert

So what do I need to do different on the three N5s I have that don't receive Spark service in Dallas/Fort Worth?

So what do I need to do different on the three N5s I have that don't receive Spark service in Dallas/Fort Worth?

Don't know what to tell you.  But hundreds of our members are enjoying Band 41 after receiving the Spark update.  Maybe you're not actually in coverage when you try?  You can't trust Sprint coverage maps.  Maybe there are CSFB problems in your area?  Don't know.   :dazed:

However, Band 41/Spark was enabled in the 4.4.3 update.  It's even active on my AT&T activated Nexus 5 device now.

Robert

Don't know what to tell you.  But hundreds of our members are enjoying Band 41 after receiving the Spark update.  Maybe you're not actually in coverage when you try?  You can't trust Sprint coverage maps.  Maybe there are CSFB problems in your area?  Don't know.   :dazed:

However, Band 41/Spark was enabled in the 4.4.3 update.  It's even active on my AT&T activated Nexus 5 device now.

Robert

Well, doesn't make sense to me either (except that LTE service in OKC has deteriorated significantly since receiving 4.4.3). 

I drove down I-35E to 121, drove past DFW on 121 to Fort Worth, then down I-35W to Burleson.  Drove back from Burleson all the way through Fort Worth on I-35W without a sniff of Band 41.  This was Saturday and Sunday.  Looks like we were near 30-40 Band 41 towers completed in 2013. 

The DiL has a completed band 41 tower across the street from her office downtown at Cherry between 7th & 10th and can only send and receive texts.