Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

So what do I need to do different on the three N5s I have that don't receive Spark service in Dallas/Fort Worth?

maybe try a PRL and a profile update on all three devices. Spark is working on my N5 just perfect here in NYC. maybe they are working on the network there. How sure are u that Spark is not working on these devices? have u checked to see if all three bands are enabled on them?

maybe try a PRL and a profile update on all three devices. Spark is working on my N5 just perfect here in NYC. maybe they are working on the network there. How sure are u that Spark is not working on these devices? have u checked to see if all three bands are enabled on them?

Yep, did that of course, and all devices have 4.4.3.  I'm reasonably intelligent with 35 years of electronics engineering experience so I can at least be taught.  I try and follow these forums but it's easy to miss something due to the sheer amount of data hence the post(s) looking for info.  Personally I gave up on Sprint years ago and have a phone from another provider, but following Sprint is a bit of a hobby and still have phones for family on Sprint.

Assuming that if data is barely working and you're in the vicinity of a Spark tower then you're not getting Spark. 

If they've been working on the network then they've been doing so since the first part of May when the kiddo's moved down there. 

Yep, did that of course, and all devices have 4.4.3. I'm reasonably intelligent with 35 years of electronics engineering experience so I can at least be taught. I try and follow these forums but it's easy to miss something due to the sheer amount of data hence the post(s) looking for info. Personally I gave up on Sprint years ago and have a phone from another provider, but following Sprint is a bit of a hobby and still have phones for family on Sprint.

Assuming that if data is barely working and you're in the vicinity of a Spark tower then you're not getting Spark.

If they've been working on the network then they've been doing so since the first part of May when the kiddo's moved down there.

Ericsson has been having some fairly large eCSFB issues when implementing Band 26 as well as issues with Clear's Band 41. Until the 4.4.3 update, the N5 was largely able to ignore these CSFB issues because it wasn't supposed to be looking for the two new bands. However, after the update, if the N5 sees a CSFB problem on ANY band, it kicks back to 3G and doesn't scant for LTE again for quite a while. It sounds like this might be part of the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yep, did that of course, and all devices have 4.4.3. I'm reasonably intelligent with 35 years of electronics engineering experience so I can at least be taught. I try and follow these forums but it's easy to miss something due to the sheer amount of data hence the post(s) looking for info. Personally I gave up on Sprint years ago and have a phone from another provider, but following Sprint is a bit of a hobby and still have phones for family on Sprint.

Try going into to the Dallas forums and see how other spark devices are performing. here in NYC I have been connecting to B41 a lot more in the last few days. I'm under the impression that Sprint has made changes since the update came. I came to the conclusion the 4.4.3 update was never the problem, it has been the network all along. The.13 radio seems to show where the network needs a fix.

So the new update doesn't show the little spinning thing on the top right? For Spark LTE

No way why would you want that. lol Nexus 5 will not get it either is not a Sprint branded device and has no Sprint apps or bloatware.
  • Like 2

Well, doesn't make sense to me either (except that LTE service in OKC has deteriorated significantly since receiving 4.4.3). 

I drove down I-35E to 121, drove past DFW on 121 to Fort Worth, then down I-35W to Burleson.  Drove back from Burleson all the way through Fort Worth on I-35W without a sniff of Band 41.  This was Saturday and Sunday.  Looks like we were near 30-40 Band 41 towers completed in 2013. 

The DiL has a completed band 41 tower across the street from her office downtown at Cherry between 7th & 10th and can only send and receive texts. 

If you took 121 from I35E and headed towards DFW airport and specifically near Grapevine, then there is a B41 Clearwire tower near Grapevine Mills mall. In that area is one next to the mall and an additional one in an area not even a mile away from Grapevine mills right off of 121.  I was able to pull B41 with my nexus 5 but it did drop me down to 3G and keep me there.  I am pretty sure that tower is having eCSFB issues.  Since you are premiere you should be able to see it on the B41 map.  Again, I think a lot of towers in the DFW area with B41 have eCSFB issues.

No way why would you want that. lol Nexus 5 will not get it either is not a Sprint branded device and has no Sprint apps or bloatware.

Just making sure lol. I want the nexus 5 but idk if I should hold out until the iPhone 6/ nexus 6 or the g3

Ericsson has been having some fairly large eCSFB issues when implementing Band 26 as well as issues with Clear's Band 41. Until the 4.4.3 update, the N5 was largely able to ignore these CSFB issues because it wasn't supposed to be looking for the two new bands. However, after the update, if the N5 sees a CSFB problem on ANY band, it kicks back to 3G and doesn't scant for LTE again for quite a while. It sounds like this might be part of the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Is the way the N5 now handles CSFB as you describe it determined by the 4.4.3 software, the radio, or both?

I ask because I lost LTE in quite a few areas with .13 so I went back to .17 / 4.4.3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is the way the N5 now handles CSFB as you describe it determined by the 4.4.3 software, the radio, or both?

I ask because I lost LTE in quite a few areas with .13 so I went back to .17 / 4.4.3.

Radio.

Its the .13 radio. .17 won't see any B26.

If you aren't too worried about calls and texts, flash the .15 radio and you'll be able to connect to any sites that are having CSFB problems. I think you'll be surprised at how much B26 there actually is.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Just making sure lol. I want the nexus 5 but idk if I should hold out until the iPhone 6/ nexus 6 or the g3

It all depends on what you value the most. I personally like the simplicity of stock android. I would hold to see what Google I/O brings. But that G3 does look tempting.

I'm beating a dead horse here but compared to my HTC one max the throughput on band26 has been less than stellar. Its like its a bad reeceiver it catches the signal but degrades the actual connection when active use. Can someone compare the old radio to the new radios band26 performance to check that as well. I feel as I am the only one experiences this.

Just bought the Nexus 5 yesterday. Updated to 4.4.3, has anyone noticed some lag after the update? Also, how do you find which bands your using?

Get Signal Check Pro. Easiest way.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

How do you tell which band its pulling from?

gututy9a.jpg

Here's an example(you have to actually be connected to LTE) of the band indicators. It will also tell you if you're connected to 1x800 or ehrpd. you should get the pro version, its cheap has alerts and logs to track your towers and a bunch of other features. vugavyhe.jpg

• Like 1

I took the upgrade and now I have a solid 3G phone. My wife's EVO LTE is more 4G than my Nexus 5. My old EVO 4G Wimax is more 4G than Nexus 5.

Is the only fix is to flash an old radio? Is Sprint fixing the network so we don't have to do this? Any ETA?

Edited by kamiller42

I took the upgrade and now I have a solid 3G phone. My wife's EVO LTE is more 4G than my Nexus 5. My old EVO 4G Wimax is more 4G than Nexus 5.

Is the only fix is to flash an old radio? Is Sprint fixing the network so we don't have to do this? Any ETA?

Try disabling b26 and or b41, you'll need your msl. The reason it parka you on 3g is due to a tower having ecsfb issues on one of those bands. For whatever reason it causes you to not pickup b25 either.

• Like 1

I'm beating a dead horse here but compared to my HTC one max the throughput on band26 has been less than stellar. Its like its a bad reeceiver it catches the signal but degrades the actual connection when active use. Can someone compare the old radio to the new radios band26 performance to check that as well. I feel as I am the only one experiences this.

I feel like you're the only one seeing this as well :/

Band 26 performance for me has been good to great (where I can get it). Have you confirmed both devices are on the same site and sector when this happens? Could you take some pictures/screenshots so we can see what's happening? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I feel like you're the only one seeing this as well :/

Band 26 performance for me has been good to great (where I can get it). Have you confirmed both devices are on the same site and sector when this happens? Could you take some pictures/screenshots so we can see what's happening? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I feel like its probably a non optimized site. I noticed a few b26 sites in my area seemed crappy but in a week or two they because 10-20dbm stronger.