Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Since the update to 4.4.3, has anyone noticed their Wi-Fi signal being worse. I had an almost to full signal before now I'm only getting half a signal

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Confirmation bias. Probably not update related.

Since the update to 4.4.3, has anyone noticed their Wi-Fi signal being worse. I had an almost to full signal before now I'm only getting half a signal

WiFi works the same as before the update for me. Wish I could say the same for LTE with the new baseband.

WiFi works the same as before the update for me. Wish I could say the same for LTE with the new baseband.

New baseband blows the others away in mature markets, but if your in a market that is not, an older baseband might be for you, just glad we have that option with this phone.

• Like 3

New baseband blows the others away in mature markets, but if your in a market that is not, an older baseband might be for you, just glad we have that option with this phone.

I agree, its been great in the San Antonio area. I can use voice AND data everywhere, is this what it feels like to be an AT&T or Verizon subscriber? [emoji12]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I am glad we have the option to change back. I've been sitting on the new baseband just to see how it performs. I'm not sure if I'll switch back yet as I haven't had any data or call problems. It's just a little disappointing to see 3G/1X showing up in the status bar so often when I've been mostly camped on LTE for the last six months. It has been a little better the last few days, but I still don't get LTE signal in a lot of places I did before even putting the phone in LTE only mode. I'm wondering if the scan time is just too long and the LTE available file needs more time to be filled out and/or the baseband is optimized around having band 26/41 available.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

the new baseband has some weird quirks.  For instance, it wont connect to LTE without an airplane toggle or restart.  Only band 25 here for me right now.  I dont think it is CSFB as i never had issues before.

When connected to just 3G..it shows I am connected to LTE band 51....however, the .15 radio shows band 50 when connected to just 3G  Why the difference?

I also noticed the .15 radio when scanning for LTE scans ALL bands.  I watch the engineering screens and I see 1,2,3, 17, etc etc being scanned (which causes connection drops when on EVDO.  This new radio scans only 25, 26 and 41 like it should.  The .15 problems seems to only have started in the last month or two.

Since the update I have noticed fairly bad battery life. I'll get maybe 18-20 hours on battery with 30 minutes or so of screen on time. The battery menu will list screen or Google play services(with 1-2 hours of keep awake time) at the top. Wake lock detector shows battery guru at the top with 500-1000 wake ups and everything else in the 10-20 range. Should I try disabling battery guru, or is this just another Google play bug? I've never used wake lock detector before but have been using greenify for a long time now.

Let me summarize my trip to LA. My phone had no issues switching between Band 25 and Band 41. It was seamless. In fact, my Nexus 5 was picking up LTE better than my iPhone 5S. From all the issues you guys have been having, I just can't believe I had such a great connection.

And the area of LA I'm in has very little LTE with the closest 2 sites still not LTE accepted.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Let me summarize my trip to LA. My phone had no issues switching between Band 25 and Band 41. It was seamless. In fact, my Nexus 5 was picking up LTE better than my iPhone 5S. From all the issues you guys have been having, I just can't believe I had such a great connection.

And the area of LA I'm in has very little LTE with the closest 2 sites still not LTE accepted.

Although different bands but I think this radio is awesome as well. Watched it slip between band 17, band 4 and band 2 with ease. Even some of those transitions were different channels. I would have never noticed unless I wasn't looking. Never dropped LTE through some very rural roads for 3 hours. Excellent work on this side of the modem.

• Like 4

Is there a way to download the Sprint Zone and Sprint TV apps for the Nexus 5?

As far as I know, no.

As far as I know, no.

I did but had a few issues.http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5082-service-alerts-in-sprint-zone/page-3

This just makes me wish they had a Verizon version of this phone. Damn Big Red and their horse crap "Open Access."

IIRC Verizon has not deployed eCSFB on their network at all and are instead relying on dual radio path LTE devices (with the exception of the iPhone, which does that weird switching business on every slot cycle). So it's actually a technical limitation in this case.

Do all phones or just the Nexus 5 keep switching from tower to tower. I didn't notice this until I downloaded signal check pro. I was always wondering why I kept losing from one bar to no bars back to one bar a lot

Do all phones or just the Nexus 5 keep switching from tower to tower. I didn't notice this until I downloaded signal check pro. I was always wondering why I kept losing from one bar to no bars back to one bar a lot

Most wireless devices do this. For example, here's the option on my laptop's Broadcom-based Wi-Fi adapter to adjust the tendency to roam across access points:

JrCeyxz.png

EDIT: And no, the Nexus 5 doesn't have any such option.

I think I'm in a mature market and I'm seeing a lot of 3g. An airplane mode toggle usually puts me back on lte but noone wants to do that every time.

I wonder how far down Band 41 is on the priority list around here...my phone tends to camp on B26 now (though it may take an airplane mode toggle to get there) but haven't seen B41 even though I know it's live in a few areas.

Since the update I have noticed fairly bad battery life. I'll get maybe 18-20 hours on battery with 30 minutes or so of screen on time. The battery menu will list screen or Google play services(with 1-2 hours of keep awake time) at the top. Wake lock detector shows battery guru at the top with 500-1000 wake ups and everything else in the 10-20 range. Should I try disabling battery guru, or is this just another Google play bug? I've never used wake lock detector before but have been using greenify for a long time now.

What you say may be true. I have even had Play services crash. A few data dependent apps have crashed on me when in 3G. I think it is because they don't handle constrained or erratic data pipes very well. And, when on 3G, they try harder and 3G radio is always active, which results in burning more power.

Phone battery is best when the phone had a good, healthy LTE connection. So, the sticking 3G problem has another nasty side effect, increased battery drainage.

Try disabling b26 and or b41, you'll need your msl. The reason it parka you on 3g is due to a tower having ecsfb issues on one of those bands. For whatever reason it causes you to not pickup b25 either.

I disabled band 41. Still getting stuck in 3G. What should band priority be set to? Matters?

I disabled band 41. Still getting stuck in 3G. What should band priority be set to? Matters?

Priority only matters for the initial scan, so it shouldn't affect things. Have you tried disabling b26, its causing the majority of issues from what I've read. There's a good chance they're pushing it out in your area and you just haven't noticed it because its not ecsfb ready yet(hence the issues).

Anyone having MMS problems where the phone refuses to download the message or know how to get around it on hangouts? I keep getting the message "message not downloaded, touch to retry". I also get a red exclamation mark by the senders who sent me them. Thanks.