Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I didn't get it. Hope I don't. Band 25 is too congested in daylight over here and I don't want to be stuck on it.

The network should move you over to B26 anyway if B25 is congested. Even if your device scans B25 first and starts you there. There will likely be a long period of network optimization settings that will constantly be in flux to find those sweet points.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Preferred network type LTE ( recommended or Global, what works better for you with the .15 radio. St Louis area is where I'm most interested.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Preferred network type LTE ( recommended or Global, what works better for you with the .15 radio. St Louis area is where I'm most interested.

I've been running global without any issues. I pick up b26 all over and b41 in the places where I know I should. I hardly end up on b25 unless the speeds are 15+ or its the only band available.

I still find the network in my area is pushing me onto congested band 25 even though band 26 is an open highway available too me.

The network is very good about pushing me to B41 if it's in range, but it seems to rather let me lose LTE all together than to put me on B26. Even now I'm on a congested B25 (<2Mb/s) with a -105 -> -110 dBm signal and it's keeping me on B25. This is after the update and flashing back the .13 radio. 

What app are you guys using to figure out what band you're connected to?

SignalCheck Pro. Or dial *#*#33284#*#* into your dialer to get to the debug screen. Then hit LTE Engineering.

• Like 1

Oh gosh - there are so many pages - hard to go thru' all :) Let me apologize in advance if this was already addressed in an earlier post

After 4.4.3 update, I'm seeing significantly higher battery drain (overnight, with Wifi/Data disconnected, idle). No wakelocks to speak of. Phone Idle and cell standby seem to be the biggest hogs. Screen prints of relevant screens at http://imgur.com/a/ZvYYr 

Post 4.4.3 update, battery drains from 100% to 85% or so overnight. Before that, it would go from 100% to 98% or so. (both with no usage, data/wifi off, reboot right after 100% charging at 10pm, leave it untouched till 6am)

Tried switch to airplane mode last night, and battery stayed at 98%. Is it the new radio that's causing this drain?

(Signal strength seems to have improved - showing -93dBm on average now - versus -105dBm or worse with 4.4.2)

Oh gosh - there are so many pages - hard to go thru' all :) Let me apologize in advance if this was already addressed in an earlier post

After 4.4.3 update, I'm seeing significantly higher battery drain (overnight, with Wifi/Data disconnected, idle). No wakelocks to speak of. Phone Idle and cell standby seem to be the biggest hogs. Screen prints of relevant screens at http://imgur.com/a/ZvYYr 

Post 4.4.3 update, battery drains from 100% to 85% or so overnight. Before that, it would go from 100% to 98% or so. (both with no usage, data/wifi off, reboot right after 100% charging at 10pm, leave it untouched till 6am)

Tried switch to airplane mode last night, and battery stayed at 98%. Is it the new radio that's causing this drain?

(Signal strength seems to have improved - showing -93dBm on average now - versus -105dBm or worse with 4.4.2)

I'm having the same issue with my N5 on AT&T.

Robert

The network is very good about pushing me to B41 if it's in range, but it seems to rather let me lose LTE all together than to put me on B26. Even now I'm on a congested B25 (<2Mb/s) with a -105 -> -110 dBm signal and it's keeping me on B25. This is after the update and flashing back the .13 radio. 

I am not sure that the network will be configured to move a sub on band 25 with -105 dBm RSRP over to band 26 just because band 25 is loaded down to 2 Mbps for that sub.  While both signal strength and throughput may be a bit on the low side, both are acceptable.

The idea among our advanced users right now seems to be to arbitrage higher speeds on band 26 -- because of greater signal strength on band 26 and fewer subs with band 26 equipment.  Keep in mind, the latter will not last.  Eventually, all subs will have band 26 equipment.  So, the band balancing should be more about signal strength than loading.

AJ

• Like 2

misery loves company.... :(

…then we could build a factory and make misery.  Frustrated Incorporated.

AJ

• Like 2

I am not sure that the network will be configured to move a sub on band 25 with -105 dBm RSRP over to band 26 just because band 25 is loaded down to 2 Mbps for that sub.  While both signal strength and throughput may be a bit on the low side, both are acceptable.

The idea among our advanced users right now seems to be to arbitrage higher speeds on band 26 -- because of greater signal strength on band 26 and fewer subs with band 26 equipment.  Keep in mind, the latter will not last.  Eventually, all subs will have band 26 equipment.  So, the band balancing should be more about signal strength than loading.

AJ

That's fair. I guess I'm just sad about being relagated to 3G speeds and having my streaming music skip while there's a whole empty carrier out there :D

I'll feel a lot more thankful for at least having LTE when I get back to San Francisco, that's for sure...

Try disabling b26 or b41. If one or the other has been launched in your area and its not ecsfb enabled it could be causing battery drain. Searching, finding, then dropping it due to lack of ecsfb and then repeating it over and over.

• Like 1

Try disabling b26 or b41. If one or the other has been launched in your area and its not ecsfb enabled it could be causing battery drain. Searching, finding, then dropping it due to lack of ecsfb and then repeating it over and over.

Hmm - I did notice that my phone now connects to B26 (instead B25 on 4.4.2). But during the daytime, I haven't had any problems with making/receiving calls yet. 

Good idea though - I'll try it out tonight. 

Hmm - I did notice that my phone now connects to B26 (instead B25 on 4.4.2). But during the daytime, I haven't had any problems with making/receiving calls yet.

Good idea though - I'll try it out tonight.

If you're connecting on the stock radio then it should be ecsfb enabled already. You might try putting it in 3g preferred over night (when you won't need the faster speeds of LTE anyways) and see if that helps out. It'll essentially do the same thing for you.

If you're connecting on the stock radio then it should be ecsfb enabled already. You might try putting it in 3g preferred over night (when you won't need the faster speeds of LTE anyways) and see if that helps out. It'll essentially do the same thing for you.

Switching to 3g only every night and switching to LTE in the mornings is going to be a pain in the <you know what>. B26 isn't giving me any amazing speeds anyway - the best I've gotten (in a "turbo spark" area in Dallas) is 30Mbps/4Mbps  :td: . In my home area that is "Spark" enabled, I get 6/2  :td:   Thank heavens for WiFi.

In the night, I usually turn data/Wifi off anyway, so I don't care for 3g/LTE. But I just don't want the battery draining like this even with no active usage.

So, I think I'll try switching B26 off and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll try 3g only. If that doesn't work either, I will try hopping on one foot, while rotating the phone in circles around my head :)

Switching to 3g only every night and switching to LTE in the mornings is going to be a pain in the . B26 isn't giving me any amazing speeds anyway - the best I've gotten (in a "turbo spark" area in Dallas) is 30Mbps/4Mbps :td: . In my home area that is "Spark" enabled, I get 6/2 :td: Thank heavens for WiFi.

In the night, I usually turn data/Wifi off anyway, so I don't care for 3g/LTE. But I just don't want the battery draining like this even with no active usage.

So, I think I'll try switching B26 off and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll try 3g only. If that doesn't work either, I will try hopping on one foot, while rotating the phone in circles around my head :)

Did you get the forced profile update/prl update yesterday?

If you are rooted you could use tasker to automate the switch

My N5 is rooted, and I have tasker (along with secure settings), but not sure how to make it switch between 3g only and LTE modes. Do you have any pointers on how to access that setting?