Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

There was an injunction granted to MB/MC that stopped Sprint from decommissioning WiMax until the end of Q1 2016. Because WiMax usage was so high here, Sprint can't repurpose excess B41 spectrum just yet for a second carrier.

Our second B25 carrier should be coming soon since LTE usage is growing and 3G usage is decreasing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

There was an injunction granted to MB/MC that stopped Sprint from decommissioning WiMax until the end of Q1 2016. Because WiMax usage was so high here, Sprint can't repurpose excess B41 spectrum just yet for a second carrier.

Our second B25 carrier should be coming soon since LTE usage is growing and 3G usage is decreasing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That makes sense. I keep forgetting about how high the usage of WiMAX was in NYC. So once WiMAX is completely shut down can we expect a rapid 8t8r deployment? And possibly 3x20 CA in NYC this year

That makes sense. I keep forgetting about how high the usage of WiMAX was in NYC. So once WiMAX is completely shut down can we expect a rapid 8t8r deployment? And possibly 3x20 CA in NYC this year

NYC already has a ton of 8t8r, what i have heard is that Sprint already ordered a ton of extra backhaul for Clear sites that were limited.

Considering that Clear sites seem more than sufficient to run in CA mode, id expect them to stick around for quite a while.

NYC already has a ton of 8t8r, what i have heard is that Sprint already ordered a ton of extra backhaul for Clear sites that were limited.

Considering that Clear sites seem more than sufficient to run in CA mode, id expect them to stick around for quite a while.

Isn't Sprint shutting down CDMA little by little

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

New York City is Sprint biggest market in terms of towers active 1100+. But it's not longer Sprint biggest market regarding market share, this basically belongs to Tmobile and Verizon.

The rip and replace,and spooty LTE coverage made a lot of customers angry in 2012-2014 so at that time they left.

They are cutting some CDMA and EVDO carriers in places where it will let them launch a second LTE carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good we need the capacity

I've been home since Friday but I've been out and about and have experienced a lot in terms of the network here. On Saturday I went to Roosevelt Field Mall (bad idea) and LTE was unusable. 3G on the other hand was perfectly fine. My mother's iPhone got kicked down to 3G on Verizon, and even that didn't work at all. Her calls would not go through and neither would her texts.

Today I've been driving around Brooklyn and the backhaul upgrades are apparent. In areas where I struggled to break 6 Mbps, I am getting speeds of around 16-17Mbps.

I also noticed something weird about my house. I get low speeds but super low pings. I actually managed to get a ping of 18ms with and average ping of about 28ms. Speeds on the other hand average about 3 Mbps at any time of day.

A tower right near Roosevelt field mall about 2 month ago received B41 with CA enabled. Speeds are over 30mbps normally. I am able to pick it up in a lot of places in the mall before switch to B25 and then B26 then 3G. 800x gets is amazing in areas where I never had service before like in the basement of some stores.

Im surprised LTE was completely unusable. 

One problem I do have it that Apple has a DAS or microcell or repeater of some sort that when Im in or near the store all I receive is 1xRTT.  

I apologize if this question has been answered many times but what is the hold up with the second B25 and B41 carrier for NYC?

Sprint only has 15mhz of PCS B Block, and it's being used for EVDO and 1x, Refarming it is not easy without shifting around voice and EVDO carriers.

Sprint only has 15mhz of PCS B Block, and it's being used for EVDO and 1x, Refarming it is not easy without shifting around voice and EVDO carriers.

Can that give you signal issues

This is why Hesse wanted to buy metro PCS. Had he gotten his way Sprint would be spectrum rich in the 1900mhz frequency in the whole tri state Area.

If one day they decommission Evdo CDMA their network would be:

120mhz(band 41) +15x15 1900mhz +5x5 1900mhz (G block) and 5x5 800mhz. However I think 5G would happen before that.

• Like 2

This is why Hesse wanted to buy metro PCS. Had he gotten his way Sprint would be spectrum rich in the 1900mhz frequency in the whole tri state Area.

If one day they decommission Evdo CDMA their network would be:

120mhz(band 41) +15x15 1900mhz +5x5 1900mhz (G block) and 5x5 800mhz. However I think 5G would happen before that.

What band will Sprint use for 5G in the future? Will they deploy a dual solution on B41?

What band will Sprint use for 5G in the future? Will they deploy a dual solution on B41?

Any "5G" will be largely marketing and LTE enhancements.  LTE is going to be with us for a long time.

AJ

• Like 3

Any "5G" will be largely marketing and LTE enhancements. LTE is going to be with us for a long time.

AJ

How long? And will 3G ever be 100% decommissioned

I suspect 5G will still be OMFDA based air interfaces running off IMS core, but it will be an enhanced version of that. Nokia is testing millimeter and centimeter wave, but that's going to take lots and lots of small cells.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I suspect 5G will still be OMFDA based air interfaces running off IMS core, but it will be an enhanced version of that. Nokia is testing millimeter and centimeter wave, but that's going to take lots and lots of small cells.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pCell may also play a large part in 5G

Can't they use pCell for band 41 considering its TDD. Im pretty sure TDD (band 41) will play a huge a roll in Sprints "5G network"

They certainly could, but that would be independent of "5G" since "5G" will be improvements to the air interface.

How long? And will 3G ever be 100% decommissioned

Have you noticed how I write "3G," "4G," and "5G" in quotes?

Do not refer to those terms unequivocally.  Use them sparingly.  They are too ambiguous, too susceptible to marketing.  Instead refer to actual airlink technologies -- CDMA1X, EV-DO, W-CDMA, etc.

And, yes, EV-DO should be decommissioned soon.  Its lifespan is almost done.  However, both CDMA1X and W-CDMA will live on for several more years.

AJ

• Like 1