Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Surprise surprise! Im on 41276 as well!!! Looks like the Bronx got a bunch of these turned on.

Signal check pro still identifying it as first carrier, don't know if its even in its database..

Are you seeing both carriers or just the new one?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Are you seeing both carriers or just the new one?

I think Sprint is moving their primary carrier to the newly cleared WiMax spectrum so there is enough contiguous spectrum to add a 2nd and 3rd carrier adjacent to the original. The GCI not changing to normal 2nd carrier pattern suggests this is probably the case.
  • Like 2

So since the GCI pattern is unchanged, that proves your theory of them replacing the last carrier with the new EARFCN.

I was about to say the same thing as Evan. It didn't make sense for the second carrier to be removed from the first (non-contiguous) since Sprint is currently only deploying intraband contiguois carrier aggregation.

So since the GCI pattern is unchanged, that proves your theory of them replacing the last carrier with the new EARFCN.

It looks like they're moving from the EBS spectrum managed by Mobile Beacon to Sprint licensed BRS spectrum. 

• Like 3

Not quite the second carrier action we were all hoping for. But at least it's a move to prep us for what's to come.

Just getting the second carrier onair is huge, load balancing trumps peak speeds any day of the week.

• Like 2

If there was a second carrier. So far just shifting the first.

Good point, I thought this was the second carrier, but it looks like they just moved it.

It will help. Hopefully 3 carriers or small cell deployments aren't far behind. I expect even 2 carriers will still be slow in spots given the dense population in NYC unfortunately.

I think it's dense enough that it will help tremendously. Alot of places just need more capacity. Some places need small cell as well. But its hard not to be on B41 here. CA will also help a ton since people can get off data much faster.

I think it's dense enough that it will help tremendously. Alot of places just need more capacity. Some places need small cell as well. But its hard not to be on B41 here. CA will also help a ton since people can get off data much faster.

Most places I'm sure it'll help quite a bit. But things have gotten slow at times, even with 2 carriers, here in little Springfield, MO. 

Lol, can someone ELI5 the change from 39 to 41276? What's it mean? 

39991 and 41276 are examples of LTE carrier channel numbers. They identify what LTE frequencies are being used for the connection.

http://lteuniversity.com/get_trained/expert_opinion1/b/cmartin/archive/2013/10/23/how-do-earfcn-s-work.aspx

Might be alittle of topic but with the recent shut down of wimax in NYC do we know if there were any single mode Wimax sites that can now be switched over to LTE? I know most clear sites can do LTE and Wimax but do sites like this exist? If they do, I wonder if they will be replaced with new equipment first then turned back on with LTE or just turned on with one carrier of LTE

Also on my way home from work I monitored SCP while driving through queens. Of the 5 or so sites i connected to they still had the 39... EARFCN

Might be alittle of topic but with the recent shut down of wimax in NYC do we know if there were any single mode Wimax sites that can now be switched over to LTE? I know most clear sites can do LTE and Wimax but do sites like this exist? If they do I wonder if they will be replaced with new equipment first then turned back on with LTE. 

Also on my way home from working I monitored SCP while driving through queens. Of the 5 or so sites i connected to they still had the 39... EARFCN

Any sites that were not converted to dual-mode LTE/WiMax, will be left as WiMax only. Sprint ended the orders for dual mode RRUs I think in 2014. 

The WiMax only sites that are not co-located with current Sprint sites are likely highest on the list to be replaced with Sprint equipment.

• Like 3

It looks like they're moving from the EBS spectrum managed by Mobile Beacon to Sprint licensed BRS spectrum. 

I almost said something about that yesterday. Is it possible this is being done to minimize possible future disruption related to EBS licenseholder shenanigans? IIRC looking at the map, Sprint owns enough BRS in most places to be plenty well off without EBS should future lease disputes arise. For example they could still run three 20mhz carriers in owned BRS alone in Charlotte.