Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Is that the site located on top of the apartment buildings? I wonder if they are having a tough time getting access to the roof for upgrades.

Yeah it's at 1700 Grand Concourse.  There are permits for telecommunications work, but there was scaffolding on the building and it's possible they had trouble getting to the roof.  Granted the LTE-live dates on S4GRU are estimates only, but it's way behind schedule.  The Department of Education just put blocks in place for streaming services so for some things I use work-related it'd be nice to have a good signal here.  But, I'm picking up a new Galaxy Note 5 today so tri-band should take care of that.   :lol:

It's 110th and Lex.  Nextgencpu pointed out it's probably a Clearwire full conversion, and there are two sites within a one-block distance.  It definitely was not coming from a macro site established on the maps here.  The signal was way too strong based on me looking at signal strength every time I ride the subway.  Sunday I'm going to see if I can find it.

If you can find the source and can confirm it's a Clear conversion, take a LOT of photos and such. This would be "The Wall" worthy!

If you can find the source and can confirm it's a Clear conversion, take a LOT of photos and such. This would be "The Wall" worthy!

There have already been several Clearwire conversions in other markets.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's 110th and Lex.  Nextgencpu pointed out it's probably a Clearwire full conversion, and there are two sites within a one-block distance.  It definitely was not coming from a macro site established on the maps here.  The signal was way too strong based on me looking at signal strength every time I ride the subway.  Sunday I'm going to see if I can find it.

Next time you're there, can you get me the serving cell ID for the eHRPD/1x? Depending on your phone, it might say PN.

Yeah it's at 1700 Grand Concourse.  There are permits for telecommunications work, but there was scaffolding on the building and it's possible they had trouble getting to the roof.  Granted the LTE-live dates on S4GRU are estimates only, but it's way behind schedule.  The Department of Education just put blocks in place for streaming services so for some things I use work-related it'd be nice to have a good signal here.  But, I'm picking up a new Galaxy Note 5 today so tri-band should take care of that.   :lol:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well.

110th and what cross street?

Keep in mind that densification as far as we know will be LTE only, so your 1x and 3G signal are coming from another site. 

Macro sites are part of the densification plan. Small cells are LTE only, but the macro sites added shouldn't be, unless I missed something?

Technically this should be in the Long Island thread but I just came back from my Aunt's member's barbecue in Elmont. In previous years when she had her barbecue my service would be poor. Two years ago all I had was 3G and it was basically unusable. Last year things improved since there was LTE, but it wasn't from a nearby tower so the signal was weak and the speeds were pretty much unusable. This year, that all changed. My signal was really strong due to the all of the sites in Elmont being upgraded and speeds were more than usable.

My mother's phone on Verizon had 2 bars of LTE while my phone read a full signal. Inside of my Aunt's house, her phone showed 1 bar of EVDO while my phone still showed nearly full bars. Sprint truly is #gettingbettereveryday

• Like 4

Technically this should be in the Long Island thread but I just came back from my Aunt's member's barbecue in Elmont. In previous years when she had her barbecue my service would be poor. Two years ago all I had was 3G and it was basically unusable. Last year things improved since there was LTE, but it wasn't from a nearby tower so the signal was weak and the speeds were pretty much unusable. This year, that all changed. My signal was really strong due to the all of the sites in Elmont being upgraded and speeds were more than usable.

My mother's phone had 2 bars of LTE while my phone read a full signal. Inside of my Aunt's house, her phone showed 1 bar of EVDO while my phone still showed nearly full bars. Sprint truly is #gettingbettereveryday

Good to hear.

So, I was on the phone with Sprint Customer Care, and they say our tax rate for New York City is 10.8490%, which doesn't match the $124 in taxes quoted over the phone (and on the website). I called the 86th Street store and they said that there are additional taxes on top of the sales tax, including the mobility tax and a transit wireless tax. When I said taxes on the Note 5 were about $124 he said that sounded right because for the $720 phone it was totaling around $850 in the system. The guy at the 86th Street store said the invoice would show all applicable taxes, so today when I go buy a replacement hot spot for my plan, I'll see what the taxes amount to. It's just weird I can't get a straight answer until I actually purchase a device. If the $124 is right, that's about 17.34% in taxes. There's no mention of fees to finance, and there shouldn't be. When I financed a phone for my grandmother in New Hampshire where there is no sales tax, nothing was due at all and the payments are exactly the price of the phone divided by 24, with no noticeable change in NH-based monthly taxes on her line.

Best Buy taxes amount to the exact 8.875% NYS/NYC rate.

Sorry if this is getting lengthy, but if this helps anyone on S4GRU in the NYC area make decisions in the future on where to buy devices, all the better.

This happened to me when I bought my sisters m8. I ended up calling telesales and ordered that way since the website was showing the wrong tax amount. I don't know how or why, but I ended up paying less sales tax than was actually due.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure his moms phone is Verizon..

Cue the jokes now.  Yo momma's phone is so Verizon that...

AJ

• Like 1

Macro sites are part of the densification plan. Small cells are LTE only, but the macro sites added shouldn't be, unless I missed something?

Yep, was referring to small cells are being LTE only.

Whats up with the Band priority? I was on lunch around china town and I'm stuck on a crowded B41 with speeds around 1mb/s. It's two bars but when I cycle airplane mode I latch onto a 5 bar B25 thats going a steady 9-10mb/s, but it goes right back to B41 a minute later.  iPhone 6 if that maters.

Edited by Palan

Whats up with the Band priority? I was on lunch around china town and I'm stuck on a crowded B41 with speeds around 1mb/s. It's two bars but when I cycle airplane mode I latch onto a 5 bar B25 thats going a steady 9-10mb/s, but it goes right back to B41 a minute later.  iPhone 6 if that maters.

That would be the wonderful carrier update that is with iOS 8.4. They're aware of it, but they're acting like nothing is wrong. It will probably be fixed when iOS 9 is pushed on iPhone 6s launch day.

That would be the wonderful carrier update that is with iOS 8.4. They're aware of it, but they're acting like nothing is wrong. It will probably be fixed when iOS 9 is pushed on iPhone 6s launch day.

I thought the network decides which band you're on?