Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Band priority is still messed up on iPhone 6 (IOS9) at least.

At work City Hall I'm stuck on a congested B41, its usable around 2-3mb/s but when I toggle airplane mode I latch onto a B26 that's giving me 10-12mb/s. It switches back to B41 after 30 seconds even though its 5 bars. 

CA is about to be enabled, It will be advantageous to be on B41.

• Like 1

Band priority is still messed up on iPhone 6 (IOS9) at least.

At work City Hall I'm stuck on a congested B41, its usable around 2-3mb/s but when I toggle airplane mode I latch onto a B26 that's giving me 10-12mb/s. It switches back to B41 after 30 seconds even though its 5 bars. 

What is your signal level? Even when congested, running at 2-3Mbps, it is better for the network that you are on B41 rather than B25 or B26 so that they are available for those who are out of range of B41. Network Management / Load Balancing isn't always about making sure you have the fastest speeds possible every moment of the day. It's about making sure the network functions properly for everyone. 2-3Mbps is within reasonable standards. Once the second carrier is able to be activated in a little over a month, B41 capacity will double.

• Like 1

What is your signal level? Even when congested, running at 2-3Mbps, it is better for the network that you are on B41 rather than B25 or B26 so that they are available for those who are out of range of B41. Network Management / Load Balancing isn't always about making sure you have the fastest speeds possible every moment of the day. It's about making sure the network functions properly for everyone. 2-3Mbps is within reasonable standards. Once the second carrier is able to be activated in a little over a month, B41 capacity will double.

I was just thinking the same thing 2-3 is within reason, band 25/26 should be reserved for people who cant get band 41, or when band 41 is very congested around .5-1 with the ping breaking above 150 or so.  band 41 has significantly more capacity than band 25 or band 26, if the network pushed people off band 41 in your situation than band 25 and 26 would be the poor performer, and people out of band 41 range would suffer.  your area just needs a second band 41 carrier, then a third, fourth and so on... you get the point as more carriers come online it will get better and better, add more macro sites, plus tens of thousands of small cell they will have ample capacity for years to come.... they just need to execute the plan, and plow forward without any major delays.   

• Like 3

Anyone noticed band 41 speed has dropped a lot these past few months? Areas where I get at least 15mbps is now 2-4mbps and it's playing hot potato on the bands it connects to... areas in question is 10038 and 11224

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Anyone noticed band 41 speed has dropped a lot these past few months? Areas where I get at least 15mbps is now 2-4mbps and it's playing hot potato on the bands it connects to... areas in question is 10038 and 11224

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yes, just waiting on Clear shutdown so we can finally get second carrier enabled.

Yes, just waiting on Clear shutdown so we can finally get second carrier enabled.

Does sprint not have enough spectrum in NYC for another carrier before shutting shown wimax. How much band 41 spectrum do they have in NYC

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Does sprint not have enough spectrum in NYC for another carrier before shutting shown wimax. How much band 41 spectrum do they have in NYC

Sprint has plenty of Spectrum in NYC, the problem is that Sprint currently has a huge number of Clear sites that currently cannot broadcast a second carrier unless dual mode (Wimax/LTE mode) is disabled. Once its disabled, Sprint can power another 3 carriers off the Clear sites, and another 2 Carriers on the Sprint sites with Carrier Aggregation.

So we are expecting a sizable upgrade in Speed fairly quickly, word on the streets is the backhaul have been already upgraded to a ton of sites.

Sprint has plenty of Spectrum in NYC, the problem is that Sprint currently has a huge number of Clear sites that currently cannot broadcast a second carrier unless dual mode (Wimax/LTE mode) is disabled. Once its disabled, Sprint can power another 3 carriers off the Clear sites, and another 2 Carriers on the Sprint sites with Carrier Aggregation.

So we are all expecting a sizable upgrade in Speed fairly quickly, word on the streets is the backhaul have been already upgraded to a ton of sites.

Why not at least turn on CA on the sprint sites. Could it be because it would be inconsistent to have CA one place and not have it availible in another?

Why not at least turn on CA on the sprint sites. Could it be because it would be inconsistent to have CA one place and not have it availible in another?

WiMax is using the spectrum. They cannot thin out WiMax yet in NYC as usage levels are still far too high there and legally it would be a shit storm  since they named Nov 6 as Wimax shutdown date. 

2nd Band 25 carrier will come before or at the same time as 2nd B41 carrier. 

• Like 1

Tim, you have confirmation we are getting 2nd Carrier of B25 here in NYC that soon?

All 30 MHz PCS markets started refarming around the same time and San Diego got theirs just a short while ago so the rest of the 30 MHz PCS markets (like NYC) shall not be that far away. 

• Like 5

The tight race between the networks and strong performances from Sprint and T-Mobile in Manhattan are good to see but shouldn’t necessarily be surprising. While not typically a strong performer in our state or nation testing, T-Mobile has often performed well in our testing within major metro areas. Performance within big cities is often a top priority for networks, making the dense urban zone the frontline of the mobile performance battleground. With so many potential customers in such a condensed space, network investments are often directed to urban zone upgrades first. In this sense, the close race we saw within Manhattan could be a predictor for greater competition across other areas moving forward. Verizon continues to offer excellent performance, but results from our look at Manhattan suggest that the other networks are ready to challenge Verizon for the top spot in our testing.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/special-reports/2015-1h-new-york-urban-experience

• Like 2

They are still struggling in the fidi district. Don't work down there anymore so can't give an opinion to the improvement since. I hope to see better progress next report.

So I may be joining Sprint sooner than anticipated. I really like that promotion they got going on with trading in ny iPhone 6 and only paying $5.77 for the 6s and $60 unlimited.

I understand next week Friday it will go up to $70.

Is Sprint reliable in all 5 boroughs? I tried it for a few days but I was not able to go test it outside of Queens.

• Like 2

So I may be joining Sprint sooner than anticipated. I really like that promotion they got going on with trading in ny iPhone 6 and only paying $5.77 for the 6s and $60 unlimited.

Is Sprint reliable in all 5 boroughs? I tried it for a few days but I was not able to go test it outside of Queens.

Sprints pretty reliable for me when I go to Queens it's always a constant LTE service, Brooklyns good I was there the other day, Manhattan is pretty well saturated in the parts and I go to and I don't be around Harlem or Staten Island or Bronx; but Bronx was the first to LTE as a general so they should be good,

And if you're getting the newest iPhone service is guaranteed to be better ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by IsaiahL

Where in Queens specifically?

Was using my wife's s6 edge down town financial district yesterday and was missing calls like crazy like over 50%. Data was decent but didn't do speed test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Financial district is easily the worst area of the city for all 4 of the carriers here. Hurricane Sandy was several years ago but it really screwed up everything down there. Carriers are still recovering.

• Like 1

I work in the financial district area, and I can tell you its Sprint worst area by far. Sprint needs more density, and carrier aggregation juice in the next few months.

Verizon Wireless works pretty well with speeds variant from 10 to 30 megabits. I don't know about the pink Jesus carrier.