Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Last? That typically would be T-Mobile.

Sprint was not the last to deploy LTE, WiMAX, or "3G," etc.

AJ

tmobile was last hmm i m mistaken and doesnt sprint have more low band spectrum than tmobile

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tmobile was last hmm i m mistaken and doesnt sprint have more low band spectrum than tmobile

Yes. Nationwide SMR in fact. Sure, there's still a few areas where it has to be cleared, but that is most certainly correct. 

Yes. Nationwide SMR in fact. Sure, there's still a few areas where it has to be cleared, but that is most certainly correct.

Thank god...and is there any areas that still have to be cleared

Thank god...and is there any areas that still have to be cleared

Read the Phoenix and LA threads. Unfortunately the public safety people in places like San Bernardino and Maricopa County, AZ are dragging SMR deployment out. 

Read the Phoenix and LA threads. Unfortunately the public safety people in places like San Bernardino and Maricopa County, AZ are dragging SMR deployment out.

That's definitely not good for sprint...

Also, another note on T-Mobile voice quality: VoLTE for T-Mobile after launch operated at 23.85 Kbps. Was super rich as far as voice quality goes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3ihbmn/hd_voice_quality_amrwb_codec_rate_decreasing/?

Then T-Mobile turned the rate down to 12.65 Kbps. Milan and some of the other people on the T-Mobile Reddit caught it. 

http://www.p3-group.com/downloads/2/8/0/6/6/US_Public_Benchmark_2015.pdf

This report seems to back up that T-Mobile reduced voice quality. If they were running at 23.85 in DC they would have won the voice quality test. Instead they finished in a dead heat with Verizon and AT&T's VoLTE solutions. This was likely done for interoperability.  

• Like 1

Looks like Sprint added an infill site by Webster ave/Cross Bronx. I go to wendy's a couple blocks away from the new site and would sit on very weak B26 signal, now getting -95dBm B25, speeds between 4-10mbs.. 

Filled a nice gap between 3 other sites.

• Like 2

Looks like Sprint added an infill site by Webster ave/Cross Bronx. I go to wendy's a couple blocks away from the new site and would sit on very weak B26 signal, now getting -95dBm B25, speeds between 4-10mbs.. 

Have an address where it could be?

I work at 3rd Ave and the Cross Bronx. I've noticed myself that I'm having B25 more in the building where I wasn't. I'll try to do some more research. But maybe the site that it microwaves to is finally upgraded. No change in B41/B26 (weak to begin with).

Edit: this appears to have gone online today. Last Friday there was no B25 below the 4th floor of the school I work at.

Edited by jaybiz81
  • Like 1

I work at 3rd Ave and the Cross Bronx. I've noticed myself that I'm having B25 more in the building where I wasn't. I'll try to do some more research. But maybe the site that it microwaves to is finally upgraded. No change in B41/B26 (weak to begin with).

Edit: this appears to have gone online today. Last Friday there was no B25 below the 4th floor of the school I work at.

I wonder if they upgraded a nearby site which was still stuck on legacy equipment.

I wonder if they upgraded a nearby site which was still stuck on legacy equipment.

No, there was no site in that area whatsoever. Now its co located with what looks to be an ATT site.

Also,I drove with in 100ft of that new macro site and had B25 signal in the -60's.

• Like 2

No, there was no site in that area whatsoever. Now its co located with what looks to be an ATT site.

Also,I drove with in 100ft of that new macro site and had B25 signal in the -60's.

that is good to read hopefully that isn't the last but only the beginning of more sites to come online. The Bronx definitely means more site density. Especially with all the new commercial construction going on in the borough. Creating a lot more high traffic and putting more strain on the network in these neighborhoods. Mine from experience. They still haven't gotten to a site that's at the BCC location around University it's definitely legacy and hasn't been upgraded since Network Vision been in effect.
  • Like 1

Update at Baruch College: B41 is officially congested. Still better than B2 on AT&T, which is currently trapped at 2Mbps tops, but slower than T-Mobile. The site is Sprint but Clear was formerly on the same roof, not sure if 8T8R or if they upgraded the backhaul. Hoping November will whip this site back into shape. Still very usable though!

Got a cross street?

I don't think it's a new macro site; there's one that had NV equipment one block west of there (you'll see it as 3G/800 accepted).  It microwaves to a site on the Grand Concourse (brown dot on the accepted at 174th/Grand Concourse, via FCC information).  I bet the macro site at 174th/GC got the backhaul update.

I don't think it's a new macro site; there's one that had NV equipment one block west of there (you'll see it as 3G/800 accepted).  It microwaves to a site on the Grand Concourse (brown dot on the accepted at 174th/Grand Concourse, via FCC information).  I bet the macro site at 174th/GC got the backhaul update.

That's pretty far, would not get super strong LTE signal from a site 10blocks away...

This is where I got signal -60dBm on B25

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8444144,-73.9028482,3a,75y,122.09h,94.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKmg29TYjYUnlJ_f-Y3nPsA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

The macro site is two blocks away from there.  In that same image, if you rotate almost 180 degrees towards the off-ramp from the Cross Bronx, you can see a brick building with antennas on it.  That's the macro site (or the one that's traditionally been on), and microwaves backhaul only to the G.C.  I can't imagine they deactivated that one because it's an NV upgrade.

But if they did, and the antennas you show are the new ones (which at -60dBm makes sense) that is pretty damned sweet.  This area needs more fill!  We should meet up and try to figure out where what actually is, hah.

The macro site is two blocks away from there.  In that same image, if you rotate almost 180 degrees towards the off-ramp from the Cross Bronx, you can see a brick building with antennas on it.  That's the macro site (or the one that's traditionally been on), and microwaves backhaul only to the G.C.  I can't imagine they deactivated that one because it's an NV upgrade.

But if they did, and the antennas you show are the new ones (which at -60dBm makes sense) that is pretty damned sweet.  This area needs more fill!  We should meet up and try to figure out where what actually is, hah.

im going to drive by later today and take another look. I have always traditionally had 3G or fringe Clearwire (-120dBm) in that location.

Too lazy to embed, I also took shots of the tower, but it was too dark (Im totally looking forward to the N6P with its awesome camera)  and weather was crap so didn't want to get out of my car.

But this i took from park ave side facing the towers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9tPD5DtGverYzdYbWZQLVlkVHNQZ05Hc1JhYWU0NWNCQWpB/view?usp=sharing

Yeah that's the site on Clay which microwaves out. 

I think i know exactly whats going on, That site you mentioned on Clay, the building was under construction for years! I have a feeling that site was physically moved. I will go by Clay Ave and take another look

No way, a site on Clay ave is going to give me high -50dBm from park ave.

Band priority is still messed up on iPhone 6 (IOS9) at least.

At work City Hall I'm stuck on a congested B41, its usable around 2-3mb/s but when I toggle airplane mode I latch onto a B26 that's giving me 10-12mb/s. It switches back to B41 after 30 seconds even though its 5 bars. 

Band priority is still messed up on iPhone 6 (IOS9) at least.

At work City Hall I'm stuck on a congested B41, its usable around 2-3mb/s but when I toggle airplane mode I latch onto a B26 that's giving me 10-12mb/s. It switches back to B41 after 30 seconds even though its 5 bars.

That's network side load balancing, not the phone. Once the phone is on LTE the network tells it what band to connect to based on what the UE reports is available. Sprint probably needs to tweak their load balancing parameters slightly, but B41 is preferred whenever it's available.

That's network side load balancing, not the phone. Once the phone is on LTE the network tells it what band to connect to based on what the UE reports is available. Sprint probably needs to tweak their load balancing parameters slightly, but B41 is preferred whenever it's available.

Hopefully this will be fixed on the network side then.