Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Was in Bay Ridge, BK yesterday and b41 speeds were 1.44 down and .93 up.

Little shocking..

Luckily, second carrier is just around the corner, some are reporting huuuge gains in performance. Due to MIMO and the additional capacity.

Expect pretty awesome gains very soon.

Expect pretty awesome gains very soon.

All about my gains brah

In all seriousness, B41 is absurdly strong in my neighborhood. I'm curious if Sprint will still launch a second carrier and aggregate them *fingers crossed*

• Like 2

All about my gains brah

In all seriousness, B41 is absurdly strong in my neighborhood. I'm curious if Sprint will still launch a second carrier and aggregate them *fingers crossed*

Yup! second and third carriers..

What does a 2nd carrier do? Is that CA or something else? 

Im getting in the 50s and 60s on Emmons ave in Brooklyn. 

Double the capacity for band 41, and carrier aggregation+4x2MIMO for better at edge performance, as well as double peak speeds.

• Like 1

Double the capacity for band 41, and carrier aggregation+4x2MIMO for better at edge performance, as well as double peak speeds.

I was in Miami several months back. I did a speedtest in my hotel and I was getting around 25-30mbs download, it was only band 25 which i found surprising. Would that be due to a 2nd carrier? Band 25 in NYC for me average is like 5-10mbs. 

"will still launch" .. ? Of course they will still launch a second carrier! You just have the misfortune of being in an Alcatel-Lucent market, and New York City. ALU was the last one to certify the second carrier and CA on their equipment, and New York City may have to wait until closer to the WiMax shut down for the second carrier since so much of your B41 is provided by Clear equipment. 

• Like 1

"will still launch" .. ? Of course they will still launch a second carrier! You just have the misfortune of being in an Alcatel-Lucent market, and New York City. ALU was the last one to certify the second carrier and CA on their equipment, and New York City may have to wait until closer to the WiMax shut down for the second carrier since so much of your B41 is provided by Clear equipment. 

Hopefully sooner, my B41 is all Sprint baby  B)

Updated my signature with my cell site as of today, you guys will see the disconnected 800/1900 panels I was asking about

Hopefully sooner, my B41 is all Sprint baby  B)

Updated my signature with my cell site as of today, you guys will see the disconnected 800/1900 panels I was asking about

Those disconnected antennas aren't Sprint. Can't tell you much more than that, not familiar with the vendors for other carriers in NYC.

• Like 1

Those disconnected antennas aren't Sprint. Can't tell you much more than that, not familiar with the vendors for other carriers in NYC.

Are you telling me that that entire rack of panels aren't Sprint's, and that I only have one panel doing full 800/1900 coverage per sector?

This is insanity

Are you telling me that that entire rack of panels aren't Sprint's, and that I only have one panel doing full 800/1900 coverage per sector?

This is insanity

Yes. And it's not insanity. That was the whole point of NV, modernizing the network. That one 'panel' has multiple antennas contained within, does the work that three 'panels' would have done in the past. 

You should really check out the thread that Tim just linked you to.

That was the whole point of NV, modernizing the network. That one 'panel' has multiple antennas contained within, does the work that three 'panels' would have done in the past. 

That's what's insane to me, I knew NV was modernizing the network but I didn't know it was to that extent! That's amazing that one panel can do all that heavy lifting meanwhile everyone else has a bunch of panels stockpiled, that's just so cool

That's what's insane to me, I knew NV was modernizing the network but I didn't know it was to that extent! That's amazing that one panel can do all that heavy lifting meanwhile everyone else has a bunch of panels stockpiled, that's just so cool

Having one antenna doing everything is not always a positive either especially since they run the radios at dual RAT mode which decreases overall capacity. Single mode operations open up a lot more possibilities. 

Also it looks like one of the sectors is using a 1900 mhz quad port antenna + an 800mhz shorty. That's a pretty rare setup. 

• Like 1

Having one antenna doing everything is not always a positive either especially since they run the radios at dual RAT mode which decreases overall capacity. Single mode operations open up a lot more possibilities. 

Also it looks like one of the sectors is using a 1900 mhz quad port antenna + an 800mhz shorty. That's a pretty rare setup. 

Well my neck of the woods isn't exactly high capacity as everyone is namely on AT&T or VZW down here, so I was shocked when B41 went live - essentially 50Mbps+ for me and a select few people

How so is it rare? My curiosity has been sparked

Well my neck of the woods isn't exactly high capacity as everyone is namely on AT&T or VZW down here, so I was shocked when B41 went live - essentially 50Mbps+ for me and a select few people

How so is it rare? My curiosity has been sparked

Generally it's one 800+1900 mhz antenna per sector. There's only a few documented cases where they use two antennas with one for each frequency. Generally it's a height issue with the antennas.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Generally it's one 800+1900 mhz antenna per sector. There's only a few documented cases where they use two antennas with one for each frequency. Generally it's a height issue with the antennas.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ah I see what you're talking about! The sectors in the pre-B41 album are all seemed to be set up like that. I wonder why it was set up like that..

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ah I see what you're talking about! The sectors in the pre-B41 album are all seemed to be set up like that. I wonder why it was set up like that..