Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Hey all, I'm asking here first before calling Sprint as I dont' have time to call them until later today...

I'm trying to get a new phone on Easy Pay, yet for the M9, which is $648, it's saying taxes will be $112.39.  Sales tax is 8.875% so it should be $57.51.  Anyone have insight why the taxes are so much higher?  I'm going to go to the Sprint store later today but want as much info as possible in advance.  (And I might not go with the M9, but I was just using it as an example.)

Hey all, I'm asking here first before calling Sprint as I dont' have time to call them until later today...

I'm trying to get a new phone on Easy Pay, yet for the M9, which is $648, it's saying taxes will be $112.39.  Sales tax is 8.875% so it should be $57.51.  Anyone have insight why the taxes are so much higher?  I'm going to go to the Sprint store later today but want as much info as possible in advance.  (And I might not go with the M9, but I was just using it as an example.)

Where did the $112.39 get calculated on? Sprint's site? Because if you didn't enter in your zip code it's possible Sprint believes you to be in a higher sales tax county. 

PS, shouldn't go M9, camera sucks! 

Where did the $112.39 get calculated on? Sprint's site? Because if you didn't enter in your zip code it's possible Sprint believes you to be in a higher sales tax county. 

PS, shouldn't go M9, camera sucks! 

Hah yeah I'm pretty hesitant on the M9 but I was curious as to pricing.  I might go Note 4.

And the zip was 10029, my zip code, so it was correctly listed as NY County, and yes it was on the Sprint site.  So odd.  I can handle contesting one-time tax errors but the problem for me is if I choose to lease and they keep making monthly errors.

Hah yeah I'm pretty hesitant on the M9 but I was curious as to pricing.  I might go Note 4.

And the zip was 10029, my zip code, so it was correctly listed as NY County, and yes it was on the Sprint site.  So odd.  I can handle contesting one-time tax errors but the problem for me is if I choose to lease and they keep making monthly errors.

Note 5 bruh  B)

Weird, the sales tax on a Note 5 is $124... Now I'm confused. Is there a different sales tax when it comes to financing? No, right?

Note 5 bruh  B)

Weird, the sales tax on a Note 5 is $124... Now I'm confused. Is there a different sales tax when it comes to financing? No, right?

Yeah I'm debating the Note 5 too :)  Honestly, I wish they still had band-25 only devices.  I have the Note 3, frequently use SVLTE, and Band 25 rocks now, faster than Band 41 or 26 on my Hotspot in East Harlem and the South Bronx.

Yeah looks like the sales tax calculations aren't right, glad I'm not the only one.  The only way taxes should be that high is if the device is over $1000.  But being NYC, there's probably some hidden additional tax (joking).  I'm going to try chatting with Sprint Care online and see what I can get for an answer.

Yeah I'm debating the Note 5 too :)  Honestly, I wish they still had band-25 only devices.  I have the Note 3, frequently use SVLTE, and Band 25 rocks now, faster than Band 41 or 26 on my Hotspot in East Harlem and the South Bronx.

Yeah looks like the sales tax calculations aren't right, glad I'm not the only one.  The only way taxes should be that high is if the device is over $1000.  But being NYC, there's probably some hidden additional tax (joking).  I'm going to try chatting with Sprint Care online and see what I can get for an answer.

Just wait for that second carrier and carrier aggregation, then lets see how fast that wish changes!

Good luck, I hope this gets cleared up ASAP!

Yeah I'm debating the Note 5 too :) Honestly, I wish they still had band-25 only devices. I have the Note 3, frequently use SVLTE, and Band 25 rocks now, faster than Band 41 or 26 on my Hotspot in East Harlem and the South Bronx.

Yeah looks like the sales tax calculations aren't right, glad I'm not the only one. The only way taxes should be that high is if the device is over $1000. But being NYC, there's probably some hidden additional tax (joking). I'm going to try chatting with Sprint Care online and see what I can get for an answer.

Sprint taxes are higher than other carriers when i got my iphone on two years contract the taxes were like 120 , if you to best buy you will paying just the sales tax

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Sprint taxes are higher than other carriers when i got my iphone on two years contract the taxes were like 120 , if you to best buy you will paying just the sales tax

Did you get a breakdown of what the taxes were?

Did you get a breakdown of what the taxes were?

Yeah new york state, queens county, and other bs taxes the same we are we paying on our bills

And if you finance your taxes and fees will go up 2 to 3 dollars i already got all the break down with sprint, so you will be charge taxes and fees on the payment plan

And if you finance your taxes and fees will go up 2 to 3 dollars i already got all the break down with sprint, so you will be charge taxes and fees on the payment plan

I get that but I don't see why we're being charged additional taxes other than sales tax for a device.  Makes me wonder if years from now we get a class action settlement letter in the mail, hah.

So, I was on the phone with Sprint Customer Care, and they say our tax rate for New York City is 10.8490%, which doesn't match the $124 in taxes quoted over the phone (and on the website).  I called the 86th Street store and they said that there are additional taxes on top of the sales tax, including the mobility tax and a transit wireless tax.  When I said taxes on the Note 5 were about $124 he said that sounded right because for the $720 phone it was totaling around $850 in the system.  The guy at the 86th Street store said the invoice would show all applicable taxes, so today when I go buy a replacement hot spot for my plan, I'll see what the taxes amount to.  It's just weird I can't get a straight answer until I actually purchase a device.  If the $124 is right, that's about 17.34% in taxes.  There's no mention of fees to finance, and there shouldn't be.  When I financed a phone for my grandmother in New Hampshire where there is no sales tax, nothing was due at all and the payments are exactly the price of the phone divided by 24, with no noticeable change in NH-based monthly taxes on her line.

Best Buy taxes amount to the exact 8.875% NYS/NYC rate.

Sorry if this is getting lengthy, but if this helps anyone on S4GRU in the NYC area make decisions in the future on where to buy devices, all the better.

• Like 2

I was in Melville Long Island yesterday at a farm. Full B25 averaging around 18mb/s down. Some places just don't need band 41.

What Long Island does need is a lot of optimized B26. Long Beach was a damn nightmare when I went, totally crapped out T1 fueled 3G. Took a full minute to send a single iMessage at times.

So, I have some loose evidence that densification is happening.  I was at 110th on the 6 tonight waiting for a downtown train and I noticed a had a significant 1X800 signal and an actual EHRPD signal with data on the platform.  I thought it might be Transit Wireless as we just had the antennas installed last month, but it wasn't strong enough for that and when I stood under the antennas there was no signal change.  The 6 pulls in and I'm off on my merry way to Bryant Park to get some work done.

Coming home, I noticed the strong 1X800 signal again, and again it wasn't peaking when standing under the antennas in the station. As I climbed the steps to the street, the signal went as high as -59 dBm, and there is no way that's coming from the nearby sites as they are avenue blocks away, and I've never had that strong of a signal before there.  I also got -65 dBm on EHRPD, again never that strong before there, and certainly never on the platform.  There has to be a new site near 110th/Lex!  But, as it was midnight, I wasn't about to go around looking at buildings with my phone out walking for where the signal peaks.  No LTE on the mysterious site.  And no, I highly doubt East Harlem has a COW in that area, but I suppose it is a remote possibility.

When it's better weather and daytime, I will walk around and see if I can find it.  But if it is a new site, and not a COW, densification is underway here!

• Like 1

Interesting find, if you look at the premier maps I dont see any Sprint macro sites for a few blocks. But what I did notice was a couple of Clear B41 sites very near. 

Could be Clear to full Sprint conversion happening, would be awesome and first one I've heard in NYC.

• Like 3

Interesting find, if you look at the premier maps I dont see any Sprint macro sites for a few blocks. But what I did notice was a couple of Clear B41 sites very near. 

Could be Clear to full Sprint conversion happening.

That would be awesome.  I wasn't even thinking of that.  I'll pull those maps and look tomorrow or over the weekend.  Hopefully it's a site I can see from the street and not on the center of a roof or visible only in an alleyway. 

That would be awesome.  I wasn't even thinking of that.  I'll pull those maps and look tomorrow or over the weekend.  Hopefully it's a site I can see from the street and not on the center of a roof or visible only in an alleyway. 

Check these out for reference on what the Antennas and RRU's look like, and report back(pics!!) with your findings! 

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3915-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-alcatel-lucent/

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5183-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-td-lte-rrhs-alcatel-lucent/

Good Luck, hopefully you'll have a nice discovery in your hands.

Check these out for reference on what the Antennas and RRU's look like, and report back(pics!!) with your findings! 

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3915-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-alcatel-lucent/

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5183-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-td-lte-rrhs-alcatel-lucent/

Good Luck, hopefully you'll have a nice discovery in your hands.

Thanks, good refresher for when I go looking.  Stopped trying to spot antennas once the one next to my apartment was done, hah.

Now only if the could convert the site at 174th/Grand Concourse which is the backhaul via microwave to the 3G/800 site near my work, I'd be in Sprint happy land 100%.  ;)  (It's not just data anymore, voice/text are having problems for all of us at work with Sprint.)  But I digress...  :wacko:

Thanks, good refresher for when I go looking.  Stopped trying to spot antennas once the one next to my apartment was done, hah.

Now only if the could convert the site at 174th/Grand Concourse which is the backhaul via microwave to the 3G/800 site near my work, I'd be in Sprint happy land 100%.  ;)  (It's not just data anymore, voice/text are having problems for all of us at work with Sprint.)  But I digress...  :wacko:

The best thing to do first is report it using the Sprint zone app, also tweet @marciCarris with your issue, she is SVP of customer management at Sprint, and will definitely escalate the situation for you, and might even get you results.

• Like 1

The best thing to do first is report it using the Sprint zone app, also tweet @marciCarris with your issue, she is SVP of customer management at Sprint, and will definitely escalate the situation for you, and might even get you results.

I'll certainly tweet her next time.  It happens for a week at a time about once a month, and I report it via the app frequently, then it returns.  It's almost as if the site is stuck rebooting itself (if that's a possibility)... full 1X1900 signal, no calls or texts go through, then a minute later, roaming on Verizon, then a minute later back on dead full 1X1900, then back to roaming.  Love that Sprint Zone app though, it really does make reporting stuff easy.

So, I have some loose evidence that densification is happening.  I was at 110th on the 6 tonight waiting for a downtown train and I noticed a had a significant 1X800 signal and an actual EHRPD signal with data on the platform.  I thought it might be Transit Wireless as we just had the antennas installed last month, but it wasn't strong enough for that and when I stood under the antennas there was no signal change.  The 6 pulls in and I'm off on my merry way to Bryant Park to get some work done.

Coming home, I noticed the strong 1X800 signal again, and again it wasn't peaking when standing under the antennas in the station. As I climbed the steps to the street, the signal went as high as -59 dBm, and there is no way that's coming from the nearby sites as they are avenue blocks away, and I've never had that strong of a signal before there.  I also got -65 dBm on EHRPD, again never that strong before there, and certainly never on the platform.  There has to be a new site near 110th/Lex!  But, as it was midnight, I wasn't about to go around looking at buildings with my phone out walking for where the signal peaks.  No LTE on the mysterious site.  And no, I highly doubt East Harlem has a COW in that area, but I suppose it is a remote possibility.

When it's better weather and daytime, I will walk around and see if I can find it.  But if it is a new site, and not a COW, densification is underway here!

110th and what cross street?

Keep in mind that densification as far as we know will be LTE only, so your 1x and 3G signal are coming from another site. 

I'll certainly tweet her next time.  It happens for a week at a time about once a month, and I report it via the app frequently, then it returns.  It's almost as if the site is stuck rebooting itself (if that's a possibility)... full 1X1900 signal, no calls or texts go through, then a minute later, roaming on Verizon, then a minute later back on dead full 1X1900, then back to roaming.  Love that Sprint Zone app though, it really does make reporting stuff easy.

Is that the site located on top of the apartment buildings? I wonder if they are having a tough time getting access to the roof for upgrades.

110th and what cross street?

Keep in mind that densification as far as we know will be LTE only, so your 1x and 3G signal are coming from another site. 

It's 110th and Lex.  Nextgencpu pointed out it's probably a Clearwire full conversion, and there are two sites within a one-block distance.  It definitely was not coming from a macro site established on the maps here.  The signal was way too strong based on me looking at signal strength every time I ride the subway.  Sunday I'm going to see if I can find it.

• Like 1