Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 minute ago, shaferz said:

I think you are missing the point.  Sprint, in enough places to matter, had (and still has) the superior network - wether it is talking about LTE coverage or speeds.

The issue is that (legacy) T-mobile simply does not have towers in a lot of areas, and instead rely on their low band to give the guise of coverage.  Its easy to paint an area pink to show 'coverage', yet when you go into that area, you get zero service.  Sprint, on the other hand as an example, in my basement, is getting download speeds of 90+mbps. 

The attached image is a great example - it is painted pink, yet if you are in a car driving by that address, you quite literally get NO SERVICE.  Nevermind trying to get anything realistic inside of a business or home.  There are towns like this all over the place.  We still have not seen plan from tmobile (that i know of) that indicates which towers/locations will be retained from Sprint but converted to tmobile. 

Throwing up B41/N41 128x128 M-MIMO antennas on every tmobile site would be of no help at all.  The issue, IMO, is lack of site density outside of urban areas.  

Screenshot_2020-10-01 10.27.01_I2Dd0n.png

I think you missed the point above. I said in places that T-Mobile has the superior network, throwing up B41/NR41 and moving Sprint customers to it will improve both Sprint and T-Mobile's customer experience. Later on they can add new sites, fill in with Sprint sites for capacity, etc. For example, in my area, T-Mobile has a much better network than Sprint since Sprint decommissioned full macro sites and replaced with mini macros. My experience will immediately improve if I am moved to T-Mobile's network fortified with B41 M-MIMO. I understand fully that in some places the reverse is true. In those cases they will need full integration before moving Sprint customers over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dewbertdc said:

It seems like they've got a multi-pronged strategy, at least from what we can observe, with many of these things happening in parallel:

1. (Pre-Merger) Roaming agreement for Sprint subscribers to use the T-Mobile network when Sprint isn't available
  2. Implement the ROAMAHOME SOC for certain Sprint subscribers to use the T-Mobile network as primary
  3. Network integration: decommission Sprint 5G, begin to refarm 2.5GHz spectrum for T-Mobile 5G and LTE, similarly begin to reallocate PCS spectrum from Sprint to T-Mobile in markets where spectrum is contiguous.  Additionally, it appears they're working on a "hybrid" of the two networks, currently with the 311-490 PLMN, that will handoff between the two legacy networks, but that does not appear to be the default network for subscribers yet.  Eventually the tower work will be done to harmonize spectrum and radio assets, that's going to take some time.
  4. Begin SIM-swapping eligible and willing Sprint customers to T-Mobile, currently happening in Seattle and Kansas City: https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/device/t-mobile-network-experience.html

There are a lot of moving parts to this, and they have to execute them carefully.  From the looks of things, they're moving too aggressively on #2, and not quickly enough on #3.  I imagine #4 is going to continue to roll out and will become the default for new lines and handset upgrades (especially to 5G) on Sprint accounts.  

Found out that a guy I met in college 14 years ago is the store manager at a converted Sprint store. He told me that they should begin swapping SIM cards for the TME on the 7th. Idk how true this is though. Located in Florida. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 1dante said:

Found out that a guy I met in college 14 years ago is the store manager at a converted Sprint store. He told me that they should begin swapping SIM cards for the TME on the 7th. Idk how true this is though. Located in Florida. 

It makes sense that they'd want to use the iPhone 12 launch to move folks over "organically," especially since it will have 5G and the Sprint LTE Network Experience will continue to deteriorate as they refarm and reallocate spectrum.

This lines up well enough in advance of the launch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dewbertdc said:

It makes sense that they'd want to use the iPhone 12 launch to move folks over "organically," especially since it will have 5G and the Sprint LTE Network Experience will continue to deteriorate as they refarm and reallocate spectrum.

This lines up well enough in advance of the launch.

The delayed launch of the iPhone 12 is actually helping in this respect. Gives a little more time for T-Mobile to get the network prepped.

• Like 1

My concerns with using the iPhone 12 launch as a mass migration to the T-MO network are being forced to give up my current Sprint plan or being stuck with a CDMA iPhone variant yet forced to function on a GSM network. At work (and various places around town) I am unable to get a decent midband signal so when I make phone calls, they are VoLTE only and consistently choppy or simply drop being unable to use any GSM or fallback network

4 hours ago, 1dante said:

I'm down to switch over asap, officially anyway as I am already full time on T-Mobile.

6 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I'm down to switch over asap, officially anyway as I am already full time on T-Mobile.

According to him people who are on the Sprint network will be able to get what they’re calling a 3-in-1 SIM card if the phone, plan, and coverage checks out good. This will allow the TME. Bills, and things like that will remain through the my sprint app. Plans remain the same also. Right now it’s only available in Seattle and Kansas City. 

I feel like I am getting screwed. I upgrade to the Note 20 Ultra to have the most updated antennas. 
I am getting strong 5G reception in my area. Then last week I get the latest software update and since then I no longer get any 5G reception but rather sluggish 4G speeds at times. 
Screenshot-20201002-113606-Signal-Check-

Edited by javon23
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, javon23 said:

I feel like I am getting screwed. I upgrade to the Note 20 Ultra to have the most updated antennas. 
I am getting strong 5G reception in my area. Then last week I get the latest software update and since then I no longer get any 5G reception but rather sluggish 4G speeds at times. 

go look in the phones section here... I posted a few things I have stumbled across... There is a problem.. as to how many phones... meh thats the question...  As to issues outside that.. I dunno.. But go look in the sammy section of phones here, I put so lins to go read..   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, javon23 said:

Try setting your network mode from Automatic to LTE/CDMA.  This even fixed my S10, non 5G issues I commented on earlier in the thread.

Discussion there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 1dante said:

According to him people who are on the Sprint network will be able to get what they’re calling a 3-in-1 SIM card if the phone, plan, and coverage checks out good. This will allow the TME. Bills, and things like that will remain through the my sprint app. Plans remain the same also. Right now it’s only available in Seattle and Kansas City. 

Sounds good to me would like the real 5G experience.

I saw something interesting on here.  https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/device/t-mobile-network-experience.html

• You will not see any changes to your Sprint bill unless you add new lines, finance or lease a new device, or make other purchases.

So while TM has committed to 3 years of keeping rate plans the same, there's a loophole for them.  Might be a problem if you want to change anything.

Technically it doesn't say your plan will then change but..  Of course changes will come if you add a line or finance.  So beware!

• Like 1

Just now, jreuschl said:

I saw something interesting on here.  https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/device/t-mobile-network-experience.html

• You will not see any changes to your Sprint bill unless you add new lines, finance or lease a new device, or make other purchases.

So while TM has committed to 3 years of keeping rate plans the same, there's a loophole for them.  Might be a problem if you want to change anything.

To be fair, doing any of those things would potentially change your bill amount anyway - it doesn't mean they'll force anyone to change rate plans when they make those changes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jreuschl said:

Try setting your network mode from Automatic to LTE/CDMA.  This even fixed my S10, non 5G issues I commented on earlier in the thread.

Discussion there.

My setting has been on this 

Screenshot-20201002-182429-Call-settings

This is the lowest ping I've ever seen on mobile internet wow! This is n71 but hot damn. My WiFi on my phone is pulling 12ms wow! Granted much faster speeds but damn didn't think I would see this on a mobile connection.

Screenshot-20200930-234311-Speedtest.jpg

Wow, that’s truly impressive and 100+ download is more than suitable to stream live news and sports! [emoji3][emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.pcmag.com/news/t-mobile-new-5g-bands-will-need-new-phones

Looks like most people will eventually upgrade within the next two years as the C-Band Auction will result in new 5G devices not currently on the market. Who knows if the iPhone 12 will be able to take advantage of that C-Band spectrum. [emoji3166][emoji2375][emoji390]

21 minutes ago, Bennyjet29 said:

Wow, that’s truly impressive and 100+ download is more than suitable to stream live news and sports! [emoji3][emoji1417]

I found some n41 and pulled over 400/60 with a 13ms ping I love it.

• Like 2

I think they are making changes out here in Leesburg.  I have a S20+ and i have been on B66 mostly since the move.  Last night i was stuck on B12 and B4 and speeds were horrible.  I used Sprint Band Selector to force only B66, 71 and B41 and all 3 of them work with better speeds.  So they are changing something.  

Btw under neighbor cells before i forced the other bands it only showed B12 and B4 when i knew i had plenty of B66 neighbors for the past several months.

• Like 1

You are correct, i didn't realize they were the same frequency.  But for some reason they are listed differently in SCP.  

The DL EARFCN is 2300 for the B4 and the DL for B66 is 66786 as shown in SCP.  

If i leave it on auto, It stays mostly on B12 with only B4 and B2 neighbors showing with horrible speeds. Maybe they are making changes to B66 and putting people on B12 as primary for now?  But it was almost useless until i forced it back to B66.

But i can force B71 and B66 and LTE B41 with better speeds(A week ago i couldn't force B41 and do anything).  

9 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Looks like if you turn off the 5G layer on T-Mobile's coverage map, it shows you n41 coverage.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map 

7 hours ago, jreuschl said:

That is neat..  though it shows they have a long way to go in some places.

It shows the one live tower in Louisville but not the one in Lexington KY. Both have been live for months, so there's probably a lot more that's live but not showing yet.

17 hours ago, mdob07 said:

It shows the one live tower in Louisville but not the one in Lexington KY. Both have been live for months, so there's probably a lot more that's live but not showing yet.

Wow if they're putting N41 on towers in  markets as small as Lexington (roughly 340,000 in city proper) already then they are really on a roll! As much as I love my hometown I wasn't expecting them to give secondary and tertiary markets any attention until at least a year from now at the earliest. Yes, Lexington had widespread band 41 but it was only capable of 2xCA as it was based on mini macs (somehow that sounds like little rappers in my head but anyway). I like the speed with which tmo moves!