Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

I have no idea how they picked it.  I know that when the person on the chat first told me I'd been moved to the T-Mobile network and it couldn't be undone, I was told it gave me access to 5G and VoLTE.  My phone does not have 5G, of course, and VoLTE is burning garbage in my experience, so neither of those were selling points.

I told them the truth--that the service was atrocious--and the tech support person took care of it.

- Trip

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Trip said:

I have no idea how they picked it.  I know that when the person on the chat first told me I'd been moved to the T-Mobile network and it couldn't be undone, I was told it gave me access to 5G and VoLTE.  My phone does not have 5G, of course, and VoLTE is burning garbage in my experience, so neither of those were selling points.

I told them the truth--that the service was atrocious--and the tech support person took care of it.

- Trip

Hummmmm.... So I took the jump to the s20 ultra to get in the tmo network to see how it was before integration. I had the 5g and volte and things were cruising... But now the last couple weeks things have gone sideways real quick... I wonder what happened? Like my photo earlier shows a I was 200-400  mostly 50 and up... But now won't even crack 10..

So I know I was switched and was fine.. so now what?

So after switching my phone back to Sprint by disallowing LTE roaming on my Note 10+, things went decidedly south. Predictively, my phone began performing rather poorly and wouldn't even load a simple web page...so I re-allowed LTE roaming (which seems to be how they're managing this in the background for Sprint users) gland now I'm cruising along handily on AWS spectrum. But, before connecting to band 4 I briefly connected to this here at my home in Midtown Atlanta. I feel like this is noteworthy.  Am I wrong?

Screenshot_20200926-004932_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, JonnygATL said:

So after switching my phone back to Sprint by disallowing LTE roaming on my Note 10+, things went decidedly south. Predictively, my phone began performing rather poorly and wouldn't even load a simple web page...so I re-allowed LTE roaming (which seems to be how they're managing this in the background for Sprint users) gland now I'm cruising along handily on AWS spectrum. But, before connecting to band 4 I briefly connected to this here at my home in Midtown Atlanta. I feel like this is noteworthy.  Am I wrong?

Screenshot_20200926-004932_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

Shit. Wrong one. That was the after. This was the initial....

Screenshot_20200926-004133_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

SO what exactly is going on?? do we know??  

Now my daughter in southern utah with an I-phone 11 pro (so NOT subject to kicking to tmo) is having issues.. Trying to get her to dl SCP to check her provider/band info  BUT her dorm is having wifi issues as well lol.

So with all the issues.. anyone have a guess whats going on??  and How long possibly??

I am giving CS a call on Mon.. because this is becoming a bigger issue for us on phone calls, and for my business connecting while I am jobs....

• Like 1

My data reliability has gone to crap in the Milwaukee over the last few days.  I haven't noticed any difference as far as lack of B41 availability, but a number of times I have been without data.  I've done a number of profile updates and even full programming reset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, floorguy said:

Now my daughter in southern utah with an I-phone 11 pro (so NOT subject to kicking to tmo) is having issues.. Trying to get her to dl SCP to check her provider/band info  BUT her dorm is having wifi issues as well lol.

So with all the issues.. anyone have a guess whats going on??  and How long possibly??

I am giving CS a call on Mon.. because this is becoming a bigger issue for us on phone calls, and for my business connecting while I am jobs....

Just FYI. SCP isn’t avail on iPhones. Just android devices. She can open the dialer and type in *3001#12345#* and it will bring up the engineering screen for the iPhone and she can find out what band and stuff she is on for both upload and download. 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 12:58 AM, JonnygATL said:

Shit. Wrong one. That was the after. This was the initial....

Screenshot_20200926-004133_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

T-Mobile has been rolling out two Band 41 LTE carriers on sites that have the Band 41 5G gear on them.  I think that's what you're seeing; it looks a lot like what I can see it around here as well when I lock my T-Mobile phone onto Band 41.

- Trip

• Like 1

14 hours ago, floorguy said:

Not sure if this is related, but Southern Utah has started seeing 2500 gear on T-Mobile sites, so work is definitely underway to "modernize" the network. 

• Like 1

Finally got VoLTE back after a bunch of fighting with SCRTN. VoLTE has been gone for the better part of a week, despite being in an area with gapless LTE coverage, and call quality has been pretty bad...and losing simultaneous voice and data hurt.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JDP121 said:

Just FYI. SCP isn’t avail on iPhones. Just android devices. She can open the dialer and type in *3001#12345#* and it will bring up the engineering screen for the iPhone and she can find out what band and stuff she is on for both upload and download. 

iOS 14 pretty much hosed engineering field test. It runs but is missing things iOS 13's version had and is very slow to update/refresh.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 11:56 AM, ingenium said:

Has B41 been moved to the B25/26 GCI in your area? In Samsung markets at least they've all on the same GCI now. So this would make sense if your market was still separate.

B41 in this market always had the 0x145000 offset, until these oddball  000***** B41 GCIs started appearing on some sites. Currently everything either remains the same it always had been, or has switched B41 to the new 000-style.

I have not seen any B25/B26 GCI changes on any sites I had previously identified in MA or NH.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, the_intern said:

Not sure if this is related, but Southern Utah has started seeing 2500 gear on T-Mobile sites, so work is definitely underway to "modernize" the network. 

Sprint never moved this aggressively. T-Mobile is not playing around and will soon show why Sprint was wasting away the full potential of the EBS/BRS band. Sites in my area that just got 600 MHz not long ago are now getting Massive MIMO on B2/66 along with B41/n41. 

Having said that, their B41 definitely performs worse than Sprint's. Lots of timeouts, more latency, and more jitter. I guess this is supposed to be expected as "L41" isn't officially supported yet.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JDP121 said:

gotcha... thanks..

She did dl some other one, and it said sprint sooo

19 hours ago, jamesinclair said:

Galaxy S8 in NJ

As of this morning, phone is only showing Tmobile bands. Im on LTE 4 right now.

Performance is piss poor.

I have a S8 here in STL. They haven't kicked it over to T-Mobile here yet. Only a matter of time. Thankfully this is a spare phone. I have a V60 for my primary.

I just learned something new; the existing Samsung 8T8R B41 radios are now 5G NR capable with a software update (40, 50, 60 MHz bandwidths - 40 MHz capability was approved under a subsequent application):

https://fccid.io/A3LSLS-BD10JQ/Test-Report/RF-Test-Report-4846240

Since T-Mobile apparently doesn't use Samsung equipment, I'm unsure of the purpose of this modification.

• Like 2

I just learned something new; the existing Samsung 8T8R B41 radios are now 5G NR capable with a software update (40, 50, 60 MHz bandwidths - 40 MHz capability was approved under a subsequent application):
Since T-Mobile apparently doesn't use Samsung equipment, I'm unsure of the purpose of this modification.
I wonder if Tmobile changed their mind and plan to keep some of the Sprint B41 equipment

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I just learned something new; the existing Samsung 8T8R B41 radios are now 5G NR capable with a software update (40, 50, 60 MHz bandwidths - 40 MHz capability was approved under a subsequent application):https://fccid.io/A3LSLS-BD10JQ/Test-Report/RF-Test-Report-4846240

The 64t64r M-MIMO panel just had a similar change as well, adding 40, 50, and 80 Mhz carriers. Considering these were the backbone of Sprint 5G in Samsung markets, there are a decent number of them around. It doesn't make sense for Samsung to file to the FCC unless T-Mobile intended to keep them.  

https://fccid.io/A3LMTP02P-41A/Letter/A3LMTP02P-41A-C2PC-Letter-4898464

This could also explain why T-Mobile hasn't removed any of the Samsung 64t64r units in my area. Despite them being at ultra-high density areas.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, smj9 said:

Maybe this is for Sprint towers that wont be decommissioned and will become TMUS towers. It would give T-Mobile NR right away in low priority areas (such as rural highways) without slowing down urban tower modernizations. 

But that's just my guess.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, floorguy said:

So what's this that popped up?  Also phone calls would connect, and I could hear, but they couldn't hear me until I restarted my phone...

Looks like you were on non-standalone T-Mobile 5G. The signal strength appeared to be quite strong, I'm guessing you were very close to the antenna site. You were using LTE band 66 as the anchor, along with 5G (unknown band).

This is typically what SignalCheck is displaying on 5G NSA connections.. I have not seen any real-world examples of full 5G data being displayed except for on SA (standalone, ie no LTE anchor) connections.

Well that was quick:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/supercharged-midband-5g

What’s the news: T-Mobile lit up a supercharged 5G experience in another 121 cities and towns with mid-band 5G, delivering up to gigabit-per-second peak speeds and average download speeds around 300 megabits-per-second for capable 5G devices. And, this faster 5G experience will be in thousands of cities and towns by end of year. To celebrate, T-Mobile is giving away $100,000 on Twitter over the next several months, with #5Gsfor5G. 

With today’s announcement, this supercharged 5G experience is live in a total of 210 cities and towns across the country with thousands more on the way by end of year.

Go Magenta!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Looks like you were on non-standalone T-Mobile 5G. The signal strength appeared to be quite strong, I'm guessing you were very close to the antenna site. You were using LTE band 66 as the anchor, along with 5G (unknown band).

This is typically what SignalCheck is displaying on 5G NSA connections.. I have not seen any real-world examples of full 5G data being displayed except for on SA (standalone, ie no LTE anchor) connections.

Yes I knew right where the tower was, (as my note says) and I was like 1 or 2 blocks from it, in the country...

So then with volte, be your voice (top listing) shouldn't have anything, because you are using the lte?  Correct?

Also I gather with the signal strength it was new hardware on this tower? Or just an upgrade broadcasting both from the same antenna?