Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

On 10/1/2020 at 6:18 PM, 1dante said:

According to him people who are on the Sprint network will be able to get what they’re calling a 3-in-1 SIM card if the phone, plan, and coverage checks out good. This will allow the TME. Bills, and things like that will remain through the my sprint app. Plans remain the same also. Right now it’s only available in Seattle and Kansas City. 

So this was correct, I had to go to two different T-Mobile stores because the first one didn't really know what they were doing. I of course was the first person to come in for the T-Mobile Network Experience, they asked me know I knew about it and I said Reddit and they laughed. But anyway I am officially on T-Mobile, I also have 5G SA as well.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jreuschl said:

Supposedly the T-Mobile Network Experience is available nationwide now at stores.  Anyone jumping primary networks?

I will when I hear that the local stores have the R15 sims. So far, they don't.

I realize this won't be an issue for a while considering travel is difficult..  but I noticed a post on Reddit mentioned that switching to the TME removes any possibility currently for international data passes.  I'm sure at some point that will be fixed, but note that doing this will change your international options.

Thankfully free international speeds on TM are twice that of Sprint, however Sprint's data pass offering has been better.

https://www.t-mobile.com/customers/data-pass

20 minutes ago, 1dante said:

I was unsuccessful at getting the TMX. I have an iPhone 8 Plus and everything was well until they saw that I owe on my Apple Watch. So until I pay it off it’s a no go. 

If you have a watch tied to your phone they're unable to put you on TMX, that will change in the future though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So today as I was watching SCP while driving along.. It seems you drop 5g, keep your LTE a little while, jump to another sector/tower, then it jumps back on 5g... And on 1 of these it just DROPPED everything, for about 10 secs, ZERO data.... Wonder if I was on the phone if it would have dropped or not??  I was streaming, but it had cached enough there was no issue there...

Also when my data "sticks" it seems to be on band 2.. it says it's there, yet no speed test, no apps coming up, no streaming etc etc.. Until I hit that next tower

Hummmmm

21 minutes ago, floorguy said:

So today as I was watching SCP while driving along.. It seems you drop 5g, keep your LTE a little while, jump to another sector/tower, then it jumps back on 5g... And on 1 of these it just DROPPED everything, for about 10 secs, ZERO data.... Wonder if I was on the phone if it would have dropped or not??  I was streaming, but it had cached enough there was no issue there...

Also when my data "sticks" it seems to be on band 2.. it says it's there, yet no speed test, no apps coming up, no streaming etc etc.. Until I hit that next tower

Hummmmm

5G will disconnect whenever data is idle. Not sure why you would be completely dropping data unless there is an issue handing off between sectors/sites. Sounds like there may be an issue with at least one site in your area. Are you using the band selector app? I've found that handoffs between towers is really rough when I'm using that to specify which LTE bands I want to use.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dkoellerwx said:

5G will disconnect whenever data is idle. Not sure why you would be completely dropping data unless there is an issue handing off between sectors/sites. Sounds like there may be an issue with at least one site in your area. Are you using the band selector app? I've found that handoffs between towers is really rough when I'm using that to specify which LTE bands I want to use.

Nope, found it to be a pain to use... and wasnt really putting me on the sprint bands anyway..

Band 2 has been having problems.. everytime data hangs/crashes whatever you want to call it (Phone and SCP shows connected, apps and speed test say otherwise)  its been Band 2..

Just now, floorguy said:

Nope, found it to be a pain to use... and wasnt really putting me on the sprint bands anyway..

Band 2 has been having problems.. everytime data hangs/crashes whatever you want to call it (Phone and SCP shows connected, apps and speed test say otherwise)  its been Band 2..

Band selector has kept me locked to Sprint band no issues all week.

That sounds like a network issue. Definitely not caused by the SIM concern you had.

Just now, Dkoellerwx said:

Band selector has kept me locked to Sprint band no issues all week.

That sounds like a network issue. Definitely not caused by the SIM concern you had.

Well they are doing something.. Because that other day when I was on the phone.. I went through like a dozen or so addresses where towers were... over 3/4 of them had tickets...

So the next question, when i call in.... which dept do i go to??? Regular CS or Tech support?  Because I want some answers from someone other than the poor CS person on the other side that I know more than... ( I just dont have the nifty screen in front of me to show the actual tickets) 

13 hours ago, floorguy said:

So with the band selector I found that sometimes I had to do it twice and in some cases even toggle airplane mode before it actually happened. 

Got the r15 sim and it has not been a good experience. 

Once you have that sim tmobile throttles your video. YouTube is the only exception for some reason.

Also you will lose the ability to roam on att or sprint and Tmo B41 will not aggregate bands vs Sprint sim that would aggregate both bands.

You lose a lot to get standalone and its not worth it. 

I'm switching back to the Sprint sim.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

Once you have that sim tmobile throttles your video. YouTube is the only exception for some reason.

Also you will lose the ability to roam on att or sprint and Tmo B41 will not aggregate bands vs Sprint sim that would aggregate both bands.

I'm not getting any throttling as far as I can tell.

3 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

Can you switch sim cards back and forth easily?  Are they both active or do you have to reactivate each one each time you change them?

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

I'm getting the same but I always got around those speeds I am on Unlimited Freedom v24.

I'm on SWAC premium, before TNX I had no video throttles at all (as expected, that's what my plan includes.)

45 minutes ago, Yuhfhrh said:

I'm on SWAC premium, before TNX I had no video throttles at all (as expected, that's what my plan includes.)

I can only find this about my plan: Unlimited Freedom Premium resolution provides higher-quality streaming video at up to 1080p+ quality with music streaming at up to 1.5 Mbps and gaming streams at up to 8 Mbps.

So not sure if averaging around 7Mbps on fast.com is good or not.

Edited by BlueAngel

2 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I can only find this about my plan: Unlimited Freedom Premium resolution provides higher-quality streaming video at up to 1080p+ quality with music streaming at up to 1.5 Mbps and gaming streams at up to 8 Mbps.

So not sure if averaging around 7Mbps on fast.com is good or not.

1080p+ is unthrottled video on Sprint. So your fast.com and speedtest results should be the same.

2 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Then I'm being throttled.

Are you actually getting 7mbps? Is that what the fast.com test finishes at? At least for me there first couple seconds of a test are unthrottled, before the 1.5mbps cap kicks in. Just trying to figure out if it's only certain plans having an issue with TNX, or if TNX currently has the same video throttle applied across the board.

6 minutes ago, Yuhfhrh said:

Are you actually getting 7mbps? Is that what the fast.com test finishes at? At least for me there first couple seconds of a test are unthrottled, before the 1.5mbps cap kicks in. Just trying to figure out if it's only certain plans having an issue with TNX, or if TNX currently has the same video throttle applied across the board.

My tests start out at like 20Mpbs then slows down to 7 or so. Speed test is over 100 or 50 or so on SA.

1 minute ago, BlueAngel said:

My tests start out at like 20Mpbs then slows down to 7 or so. Speed test is over 100 or 50 or so on SA.

Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure. Trying to gather information for the next ticket I open. Does the fast.com test actually finish?

I'm trying to figure out what your throttle point is, and if those few seconds unthrottled are bringing your average mbps way up on what you're seeing.