Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Well, I am still camping in 3g with band 26 disabled...

Ditto.. so much for that idea I guess. I had even disabled B41 last night to see if that helped anything. Disabling either band seems to have zero effect.

This morning I was driving down a road that I always have strong B25 on; it is served by a well-placed site in a church steeple on top of a hill. I was on 3G the entire time today.. eHRPD was killer, hovering between -40 and -31 for quite a stretch, but it never switched to LTE. This site has been accepted and broadcasting B25 for well over a year, closer to 18 months I believe. My EVO LTE had no trouble hopping right onto it.. :unsure:

-Mike

Ditto.. so much for that idea I guess. I had even disabled B41 last night to see if that helped anything. Disabling either band seems to have zero effect.

This morning I was driving down a road that I always have strong B25 on; it is served by a well-placed site in a church steeple on top of a hill. I was on 3G the entire time today.. eHRPD was killer, hovering between -40 and -31 for quite a stretch, but it never switched to LTE. This site has been accepted and broadcasting B25 for well over a year, closer to 18 months I believe. My EVO LTE had no trouble hopping right onto it.. :unsure:

-Mike

if the evo lte is showing good face then you know there is a problem! Haha
  • Like 1

I have an issue with the it's b26 ecsfb issues theory. Because I ran into a non ecsfb enabled b26 site yesterday(posted in MO market thread) and my n5 would chime through signal check and then briefly flash full bars of LTE. When up until that day I've only ever seen a barely 1 bar of LTE inside(so I don't know if it was the spark update or its a brand new tower, but I literally didn't pick up that tower three days ago when I was there). My n5 would pick it up, say something like oh shit drop the connection and sit on 3g. Then about every 45 seconds or a minute it'd repeat the process.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm starting to notice that I can't hold LTE on this new radio. Its camping on 3G the majority of the time. Sometimes when I'm home I get B41 but only in my living room and not for long. I'm completely stock and unrooted and finally got spark but its not the experience I was hoping for.

Sent from my Nexus 10

Nexus 5 (GSM/LTE) (hammerhead) binaries for Android (1201423) Hardware Component Company Download MD5 Checksum SHA-1 Checksum

NFC, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi Broadcom Link 4d7a6cceade9c3df36a9b98151e8df7d e2d94bd2e0c66b705cafd6964153afa0901ce288

Camera, Sensors, Audio LG Link b271c22f71f2af382fe04f78001fea71 9547ecf426a8b77eadf90c5c73d72e91134c6ab3

Graphics, GSM, Camera, GPS, Sensors, Media, DSP, USB Qualcomm Link 3634d46e45b9f35d077a2f7b6954d712 d55e73e1414eded93768e15c307a84da15942759

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/blobs-preview

are these potentially updated radios?

Edited by dedub

I changed global to lte and now this phone grabs 41 the same or better than my g2 or m8. I guess I'm happy. Don't know what changed but I back tracked the route when I didn't get 41, did a profile update and changed to LTE. Fixed. We'll see how b26 works

I've been camping on 3g, it would just drop B26 which .15 got strong in my apt.  I changed from global to LTE mode (i didn't think that would work...but so far it's looking better!)

I've been camping on 3g, it would just drop B26 which .15 got strong in my apt.  I changed from global to LTE mode (i didn't think that would work...but so far it's looking better!)

LTE only mode will solve the problem, but you won't get any phone calls or texts. 

-Mike

I seem to be having better success in disabling B41. A guy in the Utah Market thread suggested this, as he is having the exact same problems on his S5 as we are having. Already I am noticing a difference. No 3G camping in a spot that was guaranteed to switch to 3G.

can you link to no+

Sorry it auto corrected itself. Its Mo+.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moplus.moplusapp

Nexus 5 (GSM/LTE) (hammerhead) binaries for Android (1201423) Hardware Component Company Download MD5 Checksum SHA-1 Checksum

NFC, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi Broadcom Link 4d7a6cceade9c3df36a9b98151e8df7d e2d94bd2e0c66b705cafd6964153afa0901ce288

Camera, Sensors, Audio LG Link b271c22f71f2af382fe04f78001fea71 9547ecf426a8b77eadf90c5c73d72e91134c6ab3

Graphics, GSM, Camera, GPS, Sensors, Media, DSP, USB Qualcomm Link 3634d46e45b9f35d077a2f7b6954d712 d55e73e1414eded93768e15c307a84da15942759

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/blobs-preview

are these potentially updated radios?

No, but there's an updated radio interface layer (RIL) library in that last one.

I wouldn't recommend this. Google Voice integration itself causes me to miss plenty of calls. I've had a ticket open about it for months.

They got some good data about it today though. Five of the recent examples didn't show up in my local MSC or the Google Voice switch.

Well of course it won't be perfect. I've had issues with no calls before but that's been on sprints end. I think it can vary from location to location. But GV has not let me down yet. I like how I get emails saying when I get a text, or voicemail. Let's me know if there is a texting issue and such. But I'm suggesting to try the app out. Can't hurt to try.

Just recently the Nexus 5 upgraded to 4.4.3.  This upgrade apparently enabled the band 41 and 26 on this phone.  Before this update I could not get LTE in my house.  I could get it outside I believe on band 25 (I just yesterday learned how to check which band I am connected to).  When I would go inside it would drop and connect to my Airave (3G only).

Now, after 4.4.3, inside my house I seem to only connect to band 26 and get about 2-3 bars LTE upstairs on my main level and between 0-1 bars in my finished basement where I spend a lot of time but it never hands off to the Airave anymore, ever...It remains connected to band 26 even at 0 bars in my basement.  Even after a phone reboot it reconnects to band 26 at 0-1 bars signal.

My question is what happens if/when I receive (if I even can) a phone call in my basement while connected to LTE band 26?  I thought the Nexus 5 had to switch to 3G or 1x or something for calls?  Will my phone automatically connect to the Airave if a call comes through in that situation or do I basically have data but no phone reception now since it stays connected to band 26 even though it's 0 bars of signal?  I have not received a call in my basement since the update nor have I had anyone complain they couldn't reach me so I just don't know.

Since I am on wifi at home anyway (even with LTE coverage my wifi is much faster) I feel the best situation would be to always connect to the Airave both for reception and for battery savings. However, I cannot make the phone do that apparently.

Just recently the Nexus 5 upgraded to 4.4.3. This upgrade apparently enabled the band 41 and 26 on this phone. Before this update I could not get LTE in my house. I could get it outside I believe on band 25 (I just yesterday learned how to check which band I am connected to). When I would go inside it would drop and connect to my Airave (3G only).

Now, after 4.4.3, inside my house I seem to only connect to band 26 and get about 2-3 bars LTE upstairs on my main level and between 0-1 bars in my finished basement where I spend a lot of time but it never hands off to the Airave anymore, ever...It remains connected to band 26 even at 0 bars in my basement. Even after a phone reboot it reconnects to band 26 at 0-1 bars signal.

My question is what happens if/when I receive (if I even can) a phone call in my basement while connected to LTE band 26? I thought the Nexus 5 had to switch to 3G or 1x or something for calls? Will my phone automatically connect to the Airave if a call comes through in that situation or do I basically have data but no phone reception now since it stays connected to band 26 even though it's 0 bars of signal? I have not received a call in my basement since the update nor have I had anyone complain they couldn't reach me so I just don't know.

Since I am on wifi at home anyway I feel the best situation would be to always connect to the Airave both for reception and for battery savings. However, I cannot make the phone do that apparently.

Sprint's official stance is that you need to disable LTE to use an Airave with a tri-band device.

• Like 1

Sprint's official stance is that you need to disable LTE to use an Airave with a tri-band device.

That's too bad.  So, if someone is inside a building and has low signal on band 26 is it safe to assume they are basically without voice coverage if they shut off LTE?

That's too bad. So, if someone is inside a building and has low signal on band 26 is it safe to assume they are basically without voice coverage if they shut off LTE?

If you have band 26 coverage, you undoubtedly have 1x 800 voice coverage and don't need the Airave anymore. I say unplug the Airave and test it.

If that doesn't work, call Sprint and yell.

• Like 2

I  would agree with JWM, if you have LTE800, it stands to reason you should get 1x800, but really the only to be sure is to try it, ie make a call while on lte800 and see what happens.

If you have band 26 coverage, you undoubtedly have 1x 800 voice coverage and don't need the Airave anymore. I say unplug the Airave and test it.

If that doesn't work, call Sprint and yell.

Ahh, thank you.  I was unaware that voice would be switching to a lower frequency.  That seems to make sense to me why my phone won't drop off in my basement even though I didn't get voice down there before or not very good anyway.  

I will test it out and see what happens.  My wife has a Note 2 so I will have to keep the Airave around unless the Note 2 can use 1x800 voice but it would be nice knowing I may be able to get rid of it when she upgrades her phone.  

the note 2 can use 1x800 voice (as all sprint LTE phones can), although there problems with and sprint had disabled/de-prioritized 1x800 via PRL.. I don't know if that is still the case with current PRL's though.

Edited by dedub
  • Like 1

-Mike

I also was right next to a tower that has been broadcasting B25 for over almost a year and I was stuck on 3G until I rest the data connection.  I also drove a little further north to an area that has several towers with at least B25 and B26 and noticed my phone lost data link completely and then cycled to 3G.  That was it for me using the .13 radio.  I am now back to the .15 radio.  The last 2 months I have been using .15 and rarely had any issues, so I will stick with .15 until either a couple more towers come online with B25 or Sprint calibrates B26 in my area.  I am hoping there is another radio in the works that performs better.

Ahh, thank you.  I was unaware that voice would be switching to a lower frequency.  That seems to make sense to me why my phone won't drop off in my basement even though I didn't get voice down there before or not very good anyway.  

I will test it out and see what happens.  My wife has a Note 2 so I will have to keep the Airave around unless the Note 2 can use 1x800 voice but it would be nice knowing I may be able to get rid of it when she upgrades her phone.  

If you have an Airave 2.0 or older, you should be fine. If you have an Airave 2.5 (the one with the internal, detachable GPS unit), it broadcasts a beacon on 1x 800 and will probably interfere.

Did a test while driving with LTE only mode, and I must say, fallback is definitely causing an issue. The band switching was super seamless without any interruption between bands, even seen it go from B41 to B25 and vice versa while running a speedtest without dropping the connection!  Didn't even see any dead zones at all! (except going into the Lincoln tunnel as expected)

All these issues with the device falling back to 3G definitely looks like a choice they made to keep the device from losing its ability to make calls and still have a data connection with minimal interruption. Seems this radio switches to 3G with even the faintest hint that  eCSFB isnt enabled, which I've found quite a few Clear sites lacking the ability.

Im very curious to know other's experience in LTE Only mode.

• Like 3

Did a test while driving with LTE only mode, and I must say, fallback is definitely causing an issue. The band switching was super seamless without any interruption between bands, even seen it go from B41 to B25 and vice versa while running a speedtest without dropping the connection!  Didn't even see any dead zones at all! (except going into the Lincoln tunnel as expected)

All these issues with the device falling back to 3G definitely looks like a choice they made to keep the device from losing its ability to make calls and still have a data connection with minimal interruption. Seems this radio switches to 3G with even the faintest hint that  eCSFB isnt enabled, which I've found quite a few Clear sites lacking the ability.

Im very curious to know other's experience in LTE Only mode.

I did something similar. 

Two days ago I set to LTE Only on my way to work (~45 mile commute) and I went seamlessly between 25-26-41 at what appeared (from my glancing at my phone every once in a while).  No issues, a couple of successful speed tests (41 getting ~35Mbit at one test).

On the way home the same day I went back to LTE/CDMA and it seemed if not at every tower hand off then every couple I would drop to 3G (only getting back on if I toggled airplane mode).

Yesterday morning I did the same LTE/CDMA on the way to work but I didn't toggle airplane mode for the first (at least) half of the trip and didn't switch to LTE once (that's in like a ~20/30 mile stretch of known LTE).  I toggled airplane and it switched to LTE but again switching towers would seem to drop be back to 3G.

On the way home it was similar to the other on the way home experience.

This morning I didn't pay attention.

So I have been driving around midtown Manhattan Rockefeller center and I can not hold LTE. After airplane toggle I get B41 for no longer than 2 minutes. At what point does it go back onto LTE? I tried playing some YouTube videos or Netflix to see if it scans for LTE based on need but it stays on 3G.