Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Those of you who are having issues with band 41 -- are you having issue with Clearwire LTE or with 8T8R equipment?

I am in a Clearwire LTE market, and I have been having issues.

I have disabled Band 41, and I haven't been pushed to 3G in several hours now.

I'm beginning to wonder if a mass number of Clearwire sites aren't set up correctly for eCSFB since they aren't full builds.

• Like 1

I posted my complaint to the Sprint forums. A Sprint Care rep wrote:

This is a known issue that our network engineers are currently working on resolving. This has to do with Sprint Spark and tri-band capabilities. We will post a fix on this forum as soon as one is found. *Julian

• Like 1

How weird. I mentioned previously that this new radio tanked reception compared to .15.  The gauge that I use is placing it on a window and with .15 i could get very fringe, but usable band25 connection.  This new radio was zilch in the same spot.  Others have this same problem.

I placed my phone in "LTE (Recomended)" but i also disabled band 41 completely and now I can get that fringe LTE connection back in the same spot in the window.  Sweet.

Apologies if this was outlined previously as I know there is other discussion of various bands causing problems.

EDIT To ADD-  There seems to be a certain set of circumstances that are needed for this to work.  Flash the newest radio or update profile to set things back to the way they were.

Make sure you are in LTE Recomended Mode

Go into the LTE band editing area.

Disable Band 41.

Assign Band 25 a value of 1

Assign Band 26 a value of 0

Do not touch band 41 value as editing this breaks the above behavior.

Allow it to reboot.

I still have not gotten the OTA. Looks like I am missing out on nothing. Google's QA has really gone down hill since Andy Rubin left.

if you get a weak LTE .kiss your Single bar goodbye with the new update

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I know most of you are discussing 4G on the new baseband but where I am, I have no LTE to test. But, I have noticed that my N5 loves 1x800 since the 4.4.3. Has anyone else noticed?

Got to test out the band 41 here in Eagle Rock on the corner of Eagle Rock and Colorado. Only giving me 25 down and 12 up, but I'm just glad that it transitions to band 41 smoothly with this latest update

Got to test out the band 41 here in Eagle Rock on the corner of Eagle Rock and Colorado. Only giving me 25 down and 12 up, but I'm just glad that it transitions to band 41 smoothly with this latest update

I love that technology has reached a point where we can preface sentences about 25mb mobile phone speeds with "only"..  B)

-Mike

• Like 9

I seem to be having better success in disabling B41. A guy in the Utah Market thread suggested this, as he is having the exact same problems on his S5 as we are having. Already I am noticing a difference. No 3G camping in a spot that was guaranteed to switch to 3G.

So my issue of going to 3g in an LTE area was completely eliminated by turning off Band 41. It's a band 41 csfb issue.

After seeing your posts, I disabled B41 earlier tonight; even though it's only been a couple of hours and I haven't left home, I'm seeing much better results as well. I have strong B25 at home on several devices, but since the .13 update my N5 was constantly dropping to 3G and staying there. Haven't seen 3G at all since disabling B41 (which I have yet to connect to in my area on any radio). Hopefully that does the trick for now.. will be doing a lot of driving later tonight so I will know more by morning.  :fingers:

-Mike

• Like 2

I posted my complaint to the Sprint forums. A Sprint Care rep wrote:

This is a known issue that our network engineers are currently working on resolving. This has to do with Sprint Spark and tri-band capabilities. We will post a fix on this forum as soon as one is found. *Julian

This would totally make sense if you you completely forget that Sprint has multiple tri band devices on the market that aren't exhibiting the same issues.  :D

I'll be interested to see how you band 41 disablers do.  It's frustrating to think that we finally get the update, only to have to remove perhaps the juicier half of what it enabled.

This would totally make sense if you you completely forget that Sprint has multiple tri band devices on the market that aren't exhibiting the same issues. :D

I'll be interested to see how you band 41 disablers do. It's frustrating to think that we finally get the update, only to have to remove perhaps the juicier half of what it enabled.

Well, are those triband users aware that they even should be getting LTE in certain locations? Also, is there a critical mass of other triband phones besides the S5 and the Nexus 5? The only one I can think of is the G2.

• Like 1

Well, are those triband users aware that they even should be getting LTE in certain locations? Also, is there a critical mass of other triband phones besides the S5 and the Nexus 5? The only one I can think of is the G2.

The Nexus 5 is far more prevalent among our population here than among the general population. In other words, it is relatively rare.

AJ

I will add to that I have never seen another Nexus 5 in the wild. But I have encountered dozens of iPhones and Samsung handsets in the same timespan.

AJ

• Like 2

I will add to that I have never seen another Nexus 5 in the wild. But I have encountered dozens of iPhones and Samsung handsets in the same timespan.

AJ

They're out there. I ran into an old friend, and while exchanging numbers, I noticed that he had a nexus 5 on T-Mobile. I also recently saw a shoe commercial where they were all using white nexus 5's.

Sent from my Nexus 5

AJ

Weird. Two people I work with have Nexus 5's too. Other than that I've met one other person with one. All three said they love the phone too. Didn't ask what network they use though

Since the issue seems to be a lack of eCSFB on one particular band, but not all of them, its possible that the .13 radio sees the lack of eCSFB and just quits LTE. Whereas other tri-band devices see the lack of eCSFB and then move on to another band rather than just quitting.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 7

I was in a clients high rise building where I got my first 800 lte sitting in NYC. Zero signal never picked up band 26. Where as I bought with me my HTC One max and was able to connect. No issue. As I mentioned in a post before that the new radio changes the way band 26 scans and it reaches to band 25 readings that I usually got on my one max and nexus on previous radios, i can get to 70 dbm. On the nexus5 on the new radio it is 85dbm at best. That is horrendous. It switches to 3g with no handoff to the next site as well. Sprint may not be doing another nexus device after this. Its more headache for them than they would like. It's been 7 months since release and the device still doesn't play nice with the network.

AJ

I have not seen one person with a Nexus 5 in South Dakota yet, other than in my family. People ask me all the time what I'm using. I caused a near riot in the AT&T store. (OK, that's an exaggeration)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Since the issue seems to be a lack of eCSFB on one particular band, but not all of them, its possible that the .13 radio sees the lack of eCSFB and just quits LTE. Whereas other tri-band devices see the lack of eCSFB and then move on to another band rather than just quitting.

Sent from my Nexus 5

This is probable. And since .15 users ignore eCSFB they know where the coverage should be so it's an annoyance when the modem works as it should. A lot of other tri-band phones just kick to 3g and the user doesn't know there should be LTE there. This is one case where the extra knowledge hurts us, lol. The only question is, why kick to 3g and not another LTE band?
  • Like 1