Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

My nexus 5 takes forever to connect to lte now i have airplane mode it now. :( . Maybe ill factory reset it.

Not gonna change anything... How long are you talking?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It's not the radio, it's a bug within the sprint network. My post on the previous page explains what is happening. Also a few pages back someone posted that sprint confirmed this was the case and that network engineers are looking for a solution.

I'll reiterate here. This is not the fault of the radio. This is the fault of poor deployment of b26/41 alongside existing b25 with working eCSFB. Here is what I believe happens. The phone scans for LTE and connects to LTE on band 26/41 with broken eCSFB. Since eCSFB is broken/not added, the device falls back to 3G because the network tells it to. The radio is built with completed network upgrades in mind, where all bands have eCSFB. The phone behaves correctly for a properly deployed network. Because of the half-upgraded state of the network, Sprint has to tweak the network side to tell the phone to connect to the band with working eCSFB in the case that it finds a band without it.

It also looks like the G2 users are experiencing this http://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/27kejy/what_is_going_on/

More G2 evidence: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4886-lg-g2-users-thread/page-245&do=findComment&comment=317751

Sprint forum thread where the issue is confirmed: https://community.sprint.com/baw/mobile/mobile-access.jspa#jive-discussion?content=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.sprint.com%2Fbaw%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv2%2Fdiscussions%2F162466

Now can we please stop the b****ing about this radio until the network is fixed? I have found that this radio is on par with .15 when the incorrect reporting of signal levels on .15 is taken into account. Throughput on the new radio also seems to be improved across all bands. Once the network side is fixed up I think people will be making a 180 on their thoughts about this radio.

Not all can be blamed on the network side. This newer radio did take a hit on b26, yes .15 does report "inflated" readings but I'd rather have a -114 of b26 with 2-5mbps than no LTE on 1x. Just my 2 cents. But Yes In areas with csfb the issue is not the new radio but the fact the network isn't allowing connections on b26, and shoots you to 3g. But hey good thing 3g is performing better from what I saw!

My nexus does seem to be having an affair with 1x800 now. Especially in buildings/ more rural areas it'll drop a -105ish 1xrtt for a 1x800 signal about the same strength. Its still doing this after flashing back to .15 so I'm thinking it has something to do with spark being enabled rather than the new radio.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not gonna change anything... How long are you talking?

i noticed yesterday at work usually took 5min been there for an hour never connected  

Have been testing "LTE Only" mode with .13, and I must say it is pretty mindblowing! All issues with falling back and camping on 3G seem to be almost entirely a eCFSB or the lack thereof issue, without fallback to have to worry about, I will hold LTE 99% of the time! Meaning coverage is there, and the device is more than capable of holding an awesome signal. Again, I cant stress this enough, moving from band to band skipping eCSFB is ultra seamless, can run a speedtest while moving at 55MPH and switching between bands without ever losing connectivity. The only indication of band switching is engineering screens/Signal Check and speeds will jump from 10-15 to 20-30mb during the same test!

Hopefully people complaining more and more about these connectivity issues will help push them harder to resolve them quickly! Alu seem to have there shit together when it comes to full build sites having the necessary software in place. But Clear sites are a different story all together!

Here in NYC they are the most likely culprit of a lot of these issues. The amount of B41 I pick up in LTE Only mode is quite impressive about 40/60 split between bands 41 and 25.

I finally decided to switch back to .15 from .13. I decided I'd give it until I saw how it performed in DC, a more mature spark market, and I was rather disappointed. Band 41 was nice, but it's not worth losing 8-10 dBm on bands 25 and 26. Looks like I'll have to wait until my next phone to enjoy decent speeds in crowded places.

I finally decided to switch back to .15 from .13. I decided I'd give it until I saw how it performed in DC, a more mature spark market, and I was rather disappointed. Band 41 was nice, but it's not worth losing 8-10 dBm on bands 25 and 26. Looks like I'll have to wait until my next phone to enjoy decent speeds in crowded places.

.15 inflates dBm readings. In reality .15 and 2.13 probably have very similar performance and 2.13 gives a small boost on 3G/1x.

.15 inflates dBm readings. In reality .15 and 2.13 probably have very similar performance and 2.13 gives a small boost on 3G/1x.

Even if it inflates readings, it still connects to LTE and is usable (band 25) whereas .13 may see the "true" reading and is actually lower but refuses to connect (or hold a connection) due to the low reading.  I dont have band 41 or band 26 around here at all, that i know of, so I can only go by band 25 for now and the end user experience with the phone in the same spot between the two radios...15 wins in this regard.

• Like 3

Even if it inflates readings, it still connects to LTE and is usable (band 25) whereas .13 may see the "true" reading and is actually lower but refuses to connect (or hold a connection) due to the low reading. I dont have band 41 or band 26 around here at all, that i know of, so I can only go by band 25 for now and the end user experience with the phone in the same spot between the two radios...15 wins in this regard.

Yes without band 26 connecting to fringe 25 may be better. The radio is really built with the completed network in mind in that it drops 25 early so that it can move to 26.

• Like 1

When I set LTE only mode on, I get no signal where I have usable LTE on .15 radio in the -110 to -120 range. There is absolutely no band 26 or band 41 in this area, and won't be for some time. I'm not buying that its just the network that is a problem. Inflating the reading or not, I get LTE that works in a lot more places on .15 than I do .13.

• Like 1

Yes without band 26 connecting to fringe 25 may be better. The radio is really built with the completed network in mind in that it drops 25 early so that it can move to 26.

But the reverse can be said that its not picking LTE up as early because it no longer accepts the fringe signal that .15 had. And can lead to no LTE because of long LTE scan times.

I was in Mesquite, TX on 6/7 and connected to B41 with the 4.4.2 / .23 radio.

I think the only reason I connected to B41 is because I lost LTE and my band priority (B41 1, B25 2, B26 3).

B41%20LTE.jpg

SignalCheck LTE log B41 is near the bottom of the log.

As the network approaches 'completion,' band 25 may become more usable in even fringe areas because people will now be moved over to band 41, be moved over to a second band 25 carrier (in some areas of the country), and be throttled when the network so decides.  Given the increased capacity mentioned and given eCSFB would be resolved (again as the network approaches 'completion"), then it brings up why would anyone want to be on the 2.13 radio?  Would it not be best to keep people on fringe band 25 so as to reserve band 26 capacity to those who absolutely need it?

Or is there some drawbacks to the .15 radio even in a more complete network (e.g. stability or handoffs)?

As the network approaches 'completion,' band 25 may become more usable in even fringe areas because people will now be moved over to band 41, be moved over to a second band 25 carrier (in some areas of the country), and be throttled when the network so decides.  Given the increased capacity mentioned and given eCSFB would be resolved (again as the network approaches 'completion"), then it brings up why would anyone want to be on the 2.13 radio?  Would it not be best to keep people on fringe band 25 so as to reserve band 26 capacity to those who absolutely need it?

Or is there some drawbacks to the .15 radio even in a more complete network (e.g. stability or handoffs)?

I find .13 more stable than .15, especially since .15 does not latch onto B41 unless B25 is unavailable, which is the opposite of what sprint intends and hand offs between bands are more seamless. 

Its clear that .13 is meant for mature markets that do not have any eCSFB issues, which accounts for very few to no markets at the current moment. That's why its had such a negative reception thus far.

Overall, I believe its a much more sensible balance in performance for the long run.

• Like 1

I find .13 more stable than .15, especially since .15 does not latch onto B41 unless B25 is unavailable, which is the opposite of what sprint intends and hand offs between bands are more seamless. 

Its clear that .13 is meant for mature markets that do not have any eCSFB issues, which accounts for very few to no markets at the current moment. That's why its had such a negative reception thus far.

Overall, I believe its a much more sensible balance in performance for the long run.

At my home, I have decent b41 signal (hovers around -100 dBm) and decent to poor b25 signal (about -110 dBm) (both unused I might add since I'm on wi-fi) and I noticed that the phone would stay mainly on b41 but sometimes hop onto b25.  This was on the .15 radio.

Now on this new radio, the phone never sees b25.  This may have more to do with how the new radio deflates the b25 signal than .15's ability to latch onto b41.

Well, with this T-mobile merger, wouldn't a new radio be in order anyways?  Or is it even too early to speculate?

How can I tell if I have B26 and B41 in my area? I can see it scan them on a week LTE but never stays connected an d fall back to B25 or 3G. Is there a map of tri-band enabled towers? Sprints maps say spark is enabled but I have never connected to B26 & B41 ever. I live west of Chicago 60560 zip. At home I'm serving cell 379

At my home, I have decent b41 signal (hovers around -100 dBm) and decent to poor b25 signal (about -110 dBm) (both unused I might add since I'm on wi-fi) and I noticed that the phone would stay mainly on b41 but sometimes hop onto b25.  This was on the .15 radio.

Now on this new radio, the phone never sees b25.  This may have more to do with how the new radio deflates the b25 signal than .15's ability to latch onto b41.

Well, with this T-mobile merger, wouldn't a new radio be in order anyways?  Or is it even too early to speculate?

So it never sees B41 either? I think the general consensus is that -110dBm on B25 is not very useful for most of us (and infact might lead to some missed calls!) whereas -110dBm B41 is totally usable in most cases.