Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

So, I was just on the phone with Sprint tech support about the Spark update. She put me on hold and came back stating that the update was available beginning March 10th? She said the software build number is KOT49Y. She said it should be push to our phones, but if it didn't to go in and manually update.

Thoughts?

I think the XDA article linked a few posts up is more reliable than a tech. Considering Sprint doesn't control the update, Google does.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So, I was just on the phone with Sprint tech support about the Spark update.  She put me on hold and came back stating that the update was available beginning March 10th? She said the software build number is KOT49Y.  She said it should be push to our phones, but if it didn't to go in and manually update.

Thoughts? 

Currently build is KOT49H. Sure you didn't hear a H instead? Because everything matches up besides the Y and they don't just change one letter for the build.

Have you tried the .15 or .17 radios?

I've been using .15 for a month or 2 now with no issues (other than the known lack of CSFB) and it automatically pulls b41 where it is available and has a better signal than b25.

I have been on the .15 radio for a couple of weeks. There is pretty much no where in KC where I can go that the B41 signal is stronger than B25. I have yet to have any success connecting to B41. 

I verified the software build a couple times. I asked why nothing had been posted on the sprint update page for the Nexus 5 and she wasn't sure why it was not on there. She did have to put me on hold to collect this information. I did a Google search for that software build, and it linked me to a nexus page, but I am not sure what it means. The past couple times I was inquired about the update, Sprint has told they had no information. I am skeptical myself, but wanted to throw it out there.

I have been on the .15 radio for a couple of weeks. There is pretty much no where in KC where I can go that the B41 signal is stronger than B25. I have yet to have any success connecting to B41. 

Ah I see, I am in a similar predicament where there is a closer (but more overloaded) 1900 tower in between my work and a working clear b41 tower.

If I go over closer to the b41 area, I can auto pickup b41 and sometimes but not always keep it all the way back to work. (-100ish b41 vs -70 to -80ish b25)

There is definitely much more work needed to balance the priorities on both the device and network sides.

So, I was just on the phone with Sprint tech support about the Spark update.  She put me on hold and came back stating that the update was available beginning March 10th? She said the software build number is KOT49Y.  She said it should be push to our phones, but if it didn't to go in and manually update.

Thoughts? 

I don't doubt that she told you that, but there is a literally 0% chance that no one out there, whether it be here, XDA, etc...got or noticed the update.  Just another case of Sprint reps not knowing what they're talking about.

I'm still holding out hope that it's by the end of the month (Q1 2014), whether Sprint ACTUALLY said that or not.

I don't doubt that she told you that, but there is a literally 0% chance that no one out there, whether it be here, XDA, etc...got or noticed the update. Just another case of Sprint reps not knowing what they're talking about.

I'm still holding out hope that it's by the end of the month (Q1 2014), whether Sprint ACTUALLY said that or not.

That's likely the 4.4.3 update which fixes the camera bug. A bit of Googling shows that build number has, in fact, been popping up in people's web statistics lately. I don't see any reason it couldn't also contain a radio update.

EDIT: I bet March 10 was the date it went into testing.

It's known from Sprint PR that Nexus 5s were being used for Band 41 testing at a NASCAR event a few weeks ago, so the updated radio is surely ready to go unless they found new problems in the meantime.

• Like 3

It's known from Sprint PR that Nexus 5s were being used for Band 41 testing at a NASCAR event a few weeks ago, so the updated radio is surely ready to go unless they found new problems in the meantime.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well my god it can't come soon enough. Band 25 is getting rather bogged down here in Atlanta and we could seriously use some offloading to free up some bandwidth. The more Spark enabled phones, the better. This electronic freeway is starting to look like rush hour on the Downtown Connector!

P.s..anyone know how to sync fb contacts to the N5? My old GS4 did this flawlessly. I didn't realize it wasn't baked into the 4.4 OS!

• Like 1

Well my god it can't come soon enough. Band 25 is getting rather bogged down here in Atlanta and we could seriously use some offloading to free up some bandwidth. The more Spark enabled phones, the better. This electronic freeway is starting to look like rush hour on the Downtown Connector!

P.s..anyone know how to sync fb contacts to the N5? My old GS4 did this flawlessly. I didn't realize it wasn't baked into the 4.4 OS!

I believe you have to install the app itself and allow permissions to edit your contacts.  Google disallowed this feature awhile back because of numerous user complaints and data security breaches.  I know some people want it, but I am glad it was removed. One of the main concerns (besides the obscene amount of access/permissions that the app and facebook connectivity want) is that it took and uploaded all contact data from your phone (not just facebook contacts) and then subsequently overwrote them or deleted them if say a friend changed what is viewable in facebook.  

This was an egregious violation of privacy and trust.  For example, If I removed a friend, family member, co-worker etc from facebook or they closed their account, changed what was viewable on FB, suspended it temporarily, were hacked, etc etc it completely removed that contact and all data (even it were never in facebook before and had only existed on my phone)  I actually lost my grandmothers number this way.

I'm sure there are many workarounds if you honestly want that "functionality," but a safer bet would be to use a contact exporter/importer.  I won't even allow facebook (the app) or a direct in-android account link to any of my devices anymore because of prior concerns.

EDIT: You can still check what contacts facebook has from your devices by going to https://www.facebook.com/invite_history.php  all links and ways to find it have been hidden deep in options

Edited by JohnHovah
  • Like 1

That's likely the 4.4.3 update which fixes the camera bug. A bit of Googling shows that build number has, in fact, been popping up in people's web statistics lately. I don't see any reason it couldn't also contain a radio update.

EDIT: I bet March 10 was the date it went into testing.

The 4.4.3 update is probably not that build number. The one you're probably thinking of is KTU72B.

KOT49Y, based on Google's Android version scheme, is simply another build of code that is based on the same code that comprised KOT49H. Whether or not that has changes to fix the Spark capabilities of this phone, the public will probably never know, but we do know that there is a build out there tagged with 4.4.3 and KTU72B. There is no way to tell what changes KTU72B contains, but the most publicized bug is the camera one, and, of course, for us Sprint users, the Spark update.

However, until they officially have the changelog released as well as being pushed to AOSP, we don't know whether it will have the camera bug fix, the Spark update, both, or neither. Everything until then is just rumors and speculation.

• Like 3

It's known from Sprint PR that Nexus 5s were being used for Band 41 testing at a NASCAR event a few weeks ago, so the updated radio is surely ready to go unless they found new problems in the meantime.

link?

• Like 1

It looked like a single letter or maybe two letters on the left n5. I wonder if maybe they programmed it to indicate to say R for the picocell?

It looked like a single letter or maybe two letters on the left n5. I wonder if maybe they programmed it to indicate to say R for the picocell?

Perhaps they couldn't get the spinning spark logo past Google, so it's displaying another letter to indicate spark? Perhaps an S? 

• Like 1

Perhaps they couldn't get the spinning spark logo past Google, so it's displaying another letter to indicate spark? Perhaps an S?

possible. Could just be a 4g icon. Really hard to tell

Anyone been having issues with YouTube draining the battery? I put my phone to charge last night at 31% and woke up this morning at 15%. I thought maybe I didn't set it correctly, but under the battery stats it shows that it was charging all through the night. YouTube has taken up about 20% of my battery. I rebooted but the phone is still charging extremely slow.

Any input would be nice.

-Luis

• Like 1

Ok, well it's good to know I'm not the only one. It seems to have stopped now. Strange that YouTube would act up like that.

-Luis

Any thoughts about how the GS5 and HTC M8 are getting the spark update before the N5? Aren't they running the current version of Kit Kat also?

I'd put my money on our delay being due to battery drain bug. I'm sure we'll get 4.4.3 or 4.5 (whatever they end up releasing) before them. By the end of April is my bet but I wouldn't be surprised for it to roll out at the end of this month as an April fools joke.