Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

You have to remember that the Nexus line is meant to get the latest *Android* updates, not the latest feature update that will enable something very specific to a very small audience. When the next Android version comes out for bug fixes, most likely 4.4.3, we will get it fast. When whatever is revealed at Google I/O is released (4.5/5.0), we'll get it fast.

You have to remember we're a very small subset of people. On one hand, there's the Sprint side of things. They have the GS4 Mini, Galaxy Mega, GS4T, LG G2, LG G Flex, HTC One Max, HTC One M8, and the GS5 soon all with Spark enabled. On the other hand there's the Nexus 5 side. Nexus 5 owners can choose between AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint, along with other smaller carriers. When you look at it that way, the number of Nexus 5 owners on Sprint is a very very small subset of Sprint customers AND Nexus 5 users. It's kind of sad, but the truth is we are probably a very low priority to both Google and Sprint.

However, I do have faith that the Spark update will come soon. Whether it's in 4.4.3 or not remains to be seen, but with the LG G2 having Spark enabled a long time ago now, and that whole Band 41 testing for Nascar thing that went on a few months ago, I can see them releasing it very soon.

man I really hope you're right.  If I would have known about the spark delay beforehand somehow I would have gone with the G2.

• Like 1

man I really hope you're right.  If I would have known about the spark delay beforehand somehow I would have gone with the G2.

I got to play with the G2 for a few days, and I can tell you with confidence! No way I would change this phone for the G2.

For many reasons...

Just load up .15 radio, and go have some fun! 

I thought about it, and I'm actually not too disappointed that I don't have official Spark yet on the Nexus 5. I live and work in a place that Sprint and Clearwire seemed to ignore because if I go just a little more north or more south, I can see band 25 LTE, but not in the little bubble I call home and work. So I will just be happy to see Band 25 in the places I frequent, and Band 41 will just be icing on the cake when it finally gets here. Let's not even talk about Band 26, since Orange County is going to take a very long time to get it. So for me, I'm still waiting for NV 1.0 to complete. Even if I knew that the Nexus 5 was going to take this long to get the Spark update, I still would have gotten it due to that and other reasons. By the time all three bands get here, I'm sure I'll have the update, and that, to me, is the bonus of staying on Sprint.

I have been playing around with the .15 and .17 radios and have discovered that my area has LTE800.  I was at a shopping mall over the weekend and noticed my LTE signal was going from -105 dBm to -115 dBm but I still had a fairly good internet speed.  I pulled up the engineering screen and noticed I was connected to Band 26 and a big smile was on my face.  At the time I was using the .15 radio and it was holding onto Band 26 for awhile, even with the dBm's going from -100 to -90.  However I did notice that my Nexus was searching for Sprint service when I was connected to Band 26. So I had Internet but no voice service.  Since I also want to be able to call or text from time to time, I decided to load the .17 radio back onto my phone and was able to get Sprint service again, but couldn't connect to Band 26 even with PRL pull, profile update or even an airplane mode toggle in the same area that I was getting Band 26. 

So, what I have discovered is that I am happy to have Band 26 in my area and it was working great, my only problem is I can't take or receive calls or text while running .15.  Now if I am closer to a tower on the .15 radio, I do get Sprint service and could make a call if I needed to because I was connected to Band 25, but for now I have decided to stick with the .17 radio since it will give me both data and voice and just hope the next Google update includes the Sprint Spark update with a new radio which plays nicely with the towers in my area.

I thought about it, and I'm actually not too disappointed that I don't have official Spark yet on the Nexus 5. I live and work in a place that Sprint and Clearwire seemed to ignore because if I go just a little more north or more south, I can see band 25 LTE, but not in the little bubble I call home and work. So I will just be happy to see Band 25 in the places I frequent, and Band 41 will just be icing on the cake when it finally gets here. Let's not even talk about Band 26, since Orange County is going to take a very long time to get it. So for me, I'm still waiting for NV 1.0 to complete. Even if I knew that the Nexus 5 was going to take this long to get the Spark update, I still would have gotten it due to that and other reasons. By the time all three bands get here, I'm sure I'll have the update, and that, to me, is the bonus of staying on Sprint.

I hear what you are saying. I just would have gotten the g2 anyway if people hadn't said how great an experience you get with a nexus. I ROM anyway so the nexus os isn't a selling point and besides the buttons the g2 is just a better device for me.

I have been able to access all three bands on the .23 radio but its not to say I haven't ran into any problems. Many times I have to reset my phone because it will park itself in no service after a PRL update or radio setting switch, or signal check will freeze up and I'll have to force quit.

For me, at least, the spark update should mostly relieve the problems I have been getting without it, and hopefully place me on the best performing frequency on the network given my area. The biggest thing I'm hoping for is a better hand off while in fringe areas, like for example when I'm stuck on a -113 or less B41/ -105 or less B25 connection. I'd rather be on a usable 3G connection, or better yet, B26. 

I got to play with the G2 for a few days, and I can tell you with confidence! No way I would change this phone for the G2.

For many reasons...

Just load up .15 radio, and go have some fun! 

Slightly OT I suppose, but why?  I have a buddy who just got a G2 (it was $1, so he jumped at it) even after I tried to get him to get a Nexus.  He apparently loves it so far.  I'm just curious why you seemingly didn't like it, as you obviously have experience with both handsets.

Slightly OT I suppose, but why? I have a buddy who just got a G2 (it was $1, so he jumped at it) even after I tried to get him to get a Nexus. He apparently loves it so far. I'm just curious why you seemingly didn't like it, as you obviously have experience with both handsets.

To me the nexus runs smoother and doesn't hiccup as often. I haven't ever dropped a call on either device but the nexus holds better data signals and doesn't rely on 800 as much for voice.

Franco kernel with greenify also gives me all day battery so it really comes down to choice on what you want to go with, at least for me.

• Like 1

Slightly OT I suppose, but why?  I have a buddy who just got a G2 (it was $1, so he jumped at it) even after I tried to get him to get a Nexus.  He apparently loves it so far.  I'm just curious why you seemingly didn't like it, as you obviously have experience with both handsets.

First obvious one...

RF Performance, sitting on my desk, i get -80dBm LTE, the Nexus holds onto LTE like there's no tomorrow, I even find that voice does a better job..

LG G2 -90dBm LTE same location

Bluetooth stack, My Nexus 5 is 100% stable using Audio over BT, quality is near perfect! and Text displays properly across all apps, Spotify, G Music, Pandora etc

LG G2 Constantly clipped the audio, would sound fine for a little while but eventually would sound horrible, distorted and a bit out of phase. Almost as if the volume was over amplified. Plus text didn't work on any of the cars I tried. It would display the first couple of letters then cut off..

Button layout is optimal, Nexus is just the right height, just the right width.

LG G2's rear buttons seem novel, but that's as far as that goes, got annoying after a day of use..

Even though the battery on the LG is larger, and in theory should last longer, in real world I find the difference in battery life to be negligible. But once I loaded Franco Kernel with a couple of tweaks it was no contest. (Im sure the G2 has some decent kernels, but nothing like the N5 community has put out) 

Software out of the box, Stock android vs LG UI....nuff said..

Granted, the LG does have a slightly punchier screen(some say over-saturated), and a better camera. 

On paper, G2 seems like the clear winner, but unfortunately, its software and radio performance drags it down. BIG TIME!

Hopefully the new KK update will help address some of these software concerns..

• Like 2

First obvious one...

RF Performance, sitting on my desk, i get -80dBm LTE, the Nexus holds onto LTE like there's no tomorrow, I even find that voice does a better job..

Bluetooth stack, My Nexus 5 is 100% stable using Audio over BT, quality is near perfect! and Text displays properly across all apps, Spotify, G Music, Pandora etc

LG G2 Constantly clipped the audio, would sound fine for a little while but eventually would sound horrible, distorted and a bit out of phase. Almost as if the volume was over amplified. Plus text didn't work on any of the cars I tried. It would display the first couple of letters then cut off..

LG G2's rear buttons seem novel, but that's as far as that goes, got annoying after a day of use..

Even though the battery on the LG is larger, and in theory should last longer, in real world I find the difference in battery life to be negligible. But once I loaded Franco Kernel with a couple of tweaks it was no contest. (Im sure the G2 has some decent kernels, but nothing like the N5 community has put out) 

Granted, the LG does have a slightly punchier screen(some say over-saturated), and a better camera. 

On paper, G2 seems like the clear winner, but unfortunately, its software and radio performance drags it down. BIG TIME!

I can agree rf performance is disappointing. But camera is pretty awesome!

I can agree rf performance is disappointing. But camera is pretty awesome!

Yes, the G2's camera is pretty great! probably the best I've ever used on a smart phone. But the one on the N5 is no slouch.

• Like 2

Is it normal for this phone to keep dropping data connection mostly ehrpd.  But i do still have voice.   At my house lately i go to check email.  and i see it drop. Then come right back then does it again.  Could be a tower issue or phone.  I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Yes, the G2's camera is pretty great! probably the best I've ever used on a smart phone. But the one on the N5 is no slouch.

Oh yeah got to compare to the high end windows phone camera's and the zoom beats it out, and the quality is pretty darn good. The n5 camera is pretty good too. I mainly miss the RF performance, it makes a difference between b26 with -110dbm or no b26 at my house

First obvious one...

Is this with the .23 radio?

Take it for what you will, today is April fools after all. There are a slew of new articles out, all based off the same original info, saying 4.4.3 should be out sometime this week or next week..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Take it for what you will, today is April fools after all. There are a slew of new articles out, all based off the same original info, saying 4.4.3 should be out sometime this week or next week..

link?

link?

I was hoping everyone would do their own leg work, but since you asked. Here you go

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/03/31/android-4-4-3-kitkat-everything-we-know/

• Like 1

It did on kitkat my battery life is even better, everything opens even faster and signal is much more stable. The G2 is now better than the Nexus 5 for the time being.

First obvious one...

LG G2 Constantly clipped the audio, would sound fine for a little while but eventually would sound horrible, distorted and a bit out of phase. Almost as if the volume was over amplified. Plus text didn't work on any of the cars I tried. It would display the first couple of letters then cut off..

I don't know about better but it's definitely more competitive with the update.

Nexus still kills the G2 on rf. And my Nexus would prolly still beat my G2 on battery life as well.

Only thing my G2 has been better at is when I throw it across my store to show off the commuter and it doesn't break. Lol.

Im talking stock vs stock not modified nexus vs unmodifed G2. In that respect the nexus will not win. No Spark update. Smaller battery, ok camera.

I don't know about better but it's definitely more competitive with the update.

Nexus still kills the G2 on rf. And my Nexus would prolly still beat my G2 on battery life as well.

Only thing my G2 has been better at is when I throw it across my store to show off the commuter and it doesn't break. Lol.

Im talking stock vs stock not modified nexus vs unmodifed G2. In that respect the nexus will not win. No Spark update. Smaller battery, ok camera.

The smaller battery isn't a huge concern on the cellular side, at least. The Nexus 5 uses envelope tracking to reduce radio transmission power usage, whereas the G2 doesn't.

That's all a matter of opinion. I could just as easily say the button placement, too large of screen, awkward size, crappy rf performance, oh and costing twice as much as the n5 makes the G2 lose to the n5. Of course a 3000mah battery beats a 2300mah battery when they're just being compared to each other without anything else factored in. The reason Google picked the battery as an area to skimp on to keep costs low(for that 350 price point) is because the majority of owners of the n5 are going to modify it. I'd say upwards of 90% of the people who own one modify it in some way. They're both good phones with positives and negatives about them, made by a good company who's really making a impact in the phone market right now. That's the bottom line really, all the arguing about which is better is getting real old. We're past the point of there being phones than can be better for everyone hands down, its all what's best for each individual now.

That's all a matter of opinion. I could just as easily say the button placement, too large of screen, awkward size, crappy rf performance, oh and costing twice as much as the n5 makes the G2 lose to the n5. Of course a 3000mah battery beats a 2300mah battery when they're just being compared to each other without anything else factored in. The reason Google picked the battery as an area to skimp on to keep costs low(for that 350 price point) is because the majority of owners of the n5 are going to modify it. I'd say upwards of 90% of the people who own one modify it in some way. They're both good phones with positives and negatives about them, made by a good company who's really making a impact in the phone market right now. That's the bottom line really, all the arguing about which is better is getting real old. We're past the point of there being phones than can be better for everyone hands down, its all what's best for each individual now.

Honestly they both have ups and downs, both are great devices, but the G2 is only $499. I do miss my n5 RF wise and wireless charging wise. The g2 is more prone to breaks when dropped. And easier to drop in my opinion. Im keeping both phones, and will switch between the two.