Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

When I switch on airplane mode, then back off, the radio never seems to come back up, it will sit there with a grayed out signal strength and no 3g or lte connection.

I assume you're using the new (4.4.1) radio?  Curious about other people's experience on 4.4.2.  I've thus far not taken the time to sideload it (from 4.4), and haven't gotten an OTA yet.

I went straight from 4.4 to 4.4.2 so I believe the radio is the same as 4.4.1.

• Like 2

10% ABV...pffft.  I'll take shots of Kraken or Sailor Jerry thank you.  Oh and a digibrew chaser please.

Also, if you like liquor jokes and appreciate controversial Disney history, you will enjoy this SNL classic...

http://screen.yahoo.com/tracy-morgan-snl-skits/uncle-jemimas-pure-mash-liquor-000000688.html

AJ

• Like 1

Is there a default voice mail for the Nexus 5 or is Google Voice the only way to go?

From what I read hear it appears that Google Voice is the way to go for now (there still seems to be issues with notifications).  I have used Google Voice for voice mail since the original Droid and have not looked back.

From what I read hear it appears that Google Voice is the way to go for now (there still seems to be issues with notifications).  I have used Google Voice for voice mail since the original Droid and have not looked back.

GV is definitely the way to go.  maybe sprint will eventually release a visual vm app to the play store?!?

GV is definitely the way to go.  maybe sprint will eventually release a visual vm app to the play store?!?

One thing I enjoy about GV so much is the way it transcribes the messages.  There can be some real entertainment from reading them when it messes up the voice to text.

• Like 3

One thing I enjoy about GV so much is the way it transcribes the messages.  There can be some real entertainment from reading them when it messes up the voice to text.

Oh, I have the best start ever to a Google Voice transcription:

Hi Andrew.  This is such a truck.  I love mom...

AJ

• Like 4

I went straight from 4.4 to 4.4.2 so I believe the radio is the same as 4.4.1.

It is the same radio I believe.  The old one is .17 and the new one is .23 (under settings>about phone>baseband version,last two digits).  I may be in a minority but I like the new radio.  When I am at home on WiFi my phone kept trying to lock on to outside signals for calls and texts instead of my airave.  This would then cause delays in texting while jumping between signals.  With the new radio I noticed that it stays connected to my airave now.

<p>We really need an index on some of these threads...  Anyone have a vague idea around what page we were discussing PRL's lol?  Trying to get Digi's 513 on my N5.<br />

<br />

EDIT: Found a great guide for it in the premier sponsors section.</p>

Hopefully someone can tell me if this is a CSFB feature or not.  I was in an LTE area today with my nexus 5.  Back when I had my photon and a custom PRL, I could see this area also had some 800 sites broadcasting on the test SIDs.  With my nexus 5 I have the stock PRL which does not see these 800 sites yet.

Anyways, while connected to LTE I got a call and naturally it disconnected from LTE and rolled to 1x as intended.  But..i noticed that i went from LTE to the little roaming indicator as this was all happening.

Strange but when I looked at signal check it showed I was connected to 1x800.  Please see screenshot of during the call.

1) Why did it show me as roaming despite being on 1x800?  Is it because it does not recognize the test SID from the PRL?

2)  If the SID isnt in the PRL for the phone to see, does CSFB over rule this with a call and connect the phone to 1x800 anyways, at the network level?

Screenshot_2013-12-11-16-39-59.png

Strange but when I looked at signal check it showed I was connected to 1x800.  Please see screenshot of during the call.

1) Why did it show me as roaming despite being on 1x800?  Is it because it does not recognize the test SID from the PRL?

I've seen it act this way before, I think the Roaming icon is just a bug, surely you are connected to a sprint 1x800 site, as Signal check is displaying.

It is the same radio I believe.  The old one is .17 and the new one is .23 (under settings>about phone>baseband version,last two digits).  I may be in a minority but I like the new radio.  When I am at home on WiFi my phone kept trying to lock on to outside signals for calls and texts instead of my airave.  This would then cause delays in texting while jumping between signals.  With the new radio I noticed that it stays connected to my airave now.

Yes, it is showing that it is .23.

I've seen it act this way before, I think the Roaming icon is just a bug, surely you are connected to a sprint 1x800 site, as Signal check is displaying.

Yea, I figured it had to be a bug of sorts but I do not understand how the phone gets on it with a call but I cant get on 800 without a special PRL right now in the same area.  I can only assume it is CFSB in action.

Yea, I figured it had to be a bug of sorts but I do not understand how the phone gets on it with a call but I cant get on 800 without a special PRL right now in the same area.  I can only assume it is CFSB in action.

The way I understand CSFB is the 1x paging is tunneled through LTE.  Meaning all inbound/outbound SMS and call setup traffic is done over LTE.  When a call comes in, CSFB tells the phone over LTE to try to connect via 1x to a site if not the phone does it's thing via PRL.  As you can see, the rules of the PRL go away when LTE is enabled/connected on the phone. 

Now the reverse, you can see if a site doesn't support CSFB why your device won't connect to the LTE side.  If it connected it wouldn't be able to send/receive texts and make phone calls.

• Like 2

I assume you're using the new (4.4.1) radio?  Curious about other people's experience on 4.4.2.  I've thus far not taken the time to sideload it (from 4.4), and haven't gotten an OTA yet.

I'm finding the radio 5-6dBm under where it was on 4.4.  in the same location where prior to the update i was seeing a steady 115dBm, post update it initially found LTE but at 120dBm and  then dropped out of LTE after 30sec. 

I've also had the other issue described where the after toggling in and out of airplane mode the phone will not re-acquire the network, needs to be power cycled.

• Like 1

I'm finding the radio 5-6dBm under where it was on 4.4.  in the same location where prior to the update i was seeing a steady 115dBm, post update it initially found LTE but at 120dBm and  then dropped out of LTE after 30sec. 

I've also had the other issue described where the after toggling in and out of airplane mode the phone will not re-acquire the network, needs to be power cycled.

Well, this is unfortunate.  Thanks for the update.

Is anyone experiencing any time zone issues with their phone? I have my phone set so that the time and time zone is based on my network location. I do not have any other problems anywhere else but on this trip I have had four or five cases in the last two days of my phone switching from Pacific time to mountain time spontaneously. It always happens in the same location in Fremont California on this tower. I have been in the Bay Area for two days and have not had any issues on any other towers.

Posted Image

Is anyone experiencing any time zone issues with their phone? I have my phone set so that the time and time zone is based on my network location. I do not have any other problems anywhere else but on this trip I have had four or five cases in the last two days of my phone switching from Pacific time to mountain time spontaneously. It always happens in the same location in Fremont California on this tower. I have been in the Bay Area for two days and have not had any issues on any other towers.

You kind of answered your own question here.. the time zone is set by the tower, and that tower is configured incorrectly. You can try contacting Sprint to let them know, but in the meantime you would have to disable the option to have the network set your time zone if you want it to stop until they fix it.

-Mike