Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

I wish Sprint would drop the e911 requirements. T-mobile does wifi calling and you don't have to constantly be entering your location to use it.

Also any idea why wifi calling does not work in airplane mode with wifi enabled?

The more I think about it, the more dumb this e911 becomes. Why not just force a phone to go back to CDMA when someone dials 911 when using WiFi calling? It cant be that hard to make it happen.

The more I think about it, the more dumb this e911 becomes. Why not just force a phone to go back to CDMA when someone dials 911 when using WiFi calling? It cant be that hard to make it happen.

It already does. http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67#!/. I would rather have the address info available if the macro network is not available when calling emergency services.

Do emergency services work with Wi-Fi Calling?

US / Puerto Rico / US Virgin Islands: 9-1-1 service through Wi-Fi Calling may not be available or may be limited compared to traditional 9-1-1 service due to circumstances including, but not limited to, relocation of equipment, internet congestion or connection failure, loss of electrical power, delays in availability of registered location information and/or other technical problems. A 9-1-1 call will first attempt to route over a wireless network. If a 9-1-1 call doesn’t route over a wireless network within approximately 20 seconds, a 9-1-1 call may then attempt to route over Wi-Fi Calling. Always be prepared to provide your precise location information to emergency service personnel and to contact emergency services by alternate means. 

Funny, I don't have to change my E911 address to use wifi calling anywhere I want with my iPhone.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone else having a problem with inbound calls labeled as either "No Caller ID" or "Unknown?" I disabled wifi calling when 8.3 came out due to not being able to make or receive calls but re-enabled it a few days ago and haven't had that specific issue but now all calls come in as essentially a blocked number, the same thing happens to a friend of mine.

Anyone else having a problem with inbound calls labeled as either "No Caller ID" or "Unknown?" I disabled wifi calling when 8.3 came out due to not being able to make or receive calls but re-enabled it a few days ago and haven't had that specific issue but now all calls come in as essentially a blocked number, the same thing happens to a friend of mine.

Works fine on my Android phone.

I'm sure that this has been asked before, but since the Nexus 6, on T-Mobile, will be getting WiFi calling...

Does anyone have any ideas as to when WiFi calling might be coming for the Sprint version of Nexus 6?

Do wifi calls typically sound better or worse than standard cell calls (non-hd)?

About the same, maybe a little better than a non-hd call. I just wish you could connect as an HD call through wifi-calling. That would make it truly a great feature.

As a side note, my parents just took a vacation to VT, and picked a cabin in the middle of a huge hole of no service. I was able to talk my mom through setting up wifi calling on her phone (S4T) by calling the landline in her cabin. She was pretty excited to be able to have service where she otherwise wouldn't.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 2

Just got back from a trip to Italy and Nice/Monaco. WiFi calling worked great overseas and I was thoroughly impressed. We brought a MiFi device, and when we got to Italy, purchased a data only SIM card through Vodafone Italy. Once I connected via WiFi on my phone to the device, I was able to activate the WiFi calling feature. It doesn't ask for an address, but a message does pop up (screenshot attached) indicating you are in an international location and emergency services may not be available.

So I basically had cell service throughout our trip by remaining connected to the MiFi device. I was able to text and make phone calls to US based numbers, and they were able to call and text me. If I were to call a number in Italy, I believe international chargers would have applied, but I never needed to. If the device had a weak signal, the WiFi calling would disconnect, but would reconnect when the signal was strong again.

I also connected to WiFi calling with other WiFi connections throughout the trip (at our hotel, airbnb places, restaurants, and airports), and all worked flawlessly. It's a great service, especially if you travel internationally. You no longer need to buy a voice/data SIM card, just bring a MiFi device with you and purchase a data only SIM (ours was 30 euros for 10 gigs).

BTW, 3G is quite fast in Italy, as is 4G. Never did a speed test as we were trying to conserve our data limit, but we never experienced any slowness when the device was on 3G or 4G. Also, FYI, if you have an Android, Airplane mode needs to be off for WiFi calling to work.

Screenshot_2015-05-24-18-54-32.png

• Like 6

Did you try out the value roaming offered by sprint?!!? No cost texting and data!

I left on May 14th, and when I checked a few days prior to that, Italy wasn't included in the international value roaming. But apparently it was added on May 18th, per this article: http://www.eweek.com/mobile/sprint-expands-its-free-2g-data-roaming-to-7-more-nations.html

So no, I didn't use the roaming since I wasn't aware I could in Italy. But the WiFi calling worked just fine, and instead of 2G speeds, I got 3G and LTE speeds. My phone did connect to the 3 network there once or twice when I was off of Wifi. Not sure how great that network is, but Vodafone Italy was great, both 3G and LTE. I was even impressed how great the network was while traveling on the high speed trains (around 150 mph) between Rome and Florence, Florence and Venice, and Venice and Milan.

What unlocked mifi did you buy?

We borrowed a Huawei E5377T from a friend. Worked great, battery life lasted the whole day with 2 devices connected to it.

Previously I mentioned not being able to use the Aquos phone wifi calling in Mexico. The problem was it wouldnt accept the address.

I was there this weekend and gave it another go.

Test 1: Tried the locate me feature, failed.

Test 2: Went to Google Maps, selected my location, selected the "whats here option" and copied over the entire address. Ie, house number, road, neighborhood, larger neighbhood, city, state, countyy, postal code. Said the address did not work.

Test 3: Disabled locate me, tried typing in a US address. As I was halfway through, the program would crash and it would say "unfortunately, settings has failed". Repeated 4 times.

Test 4: Tried a much simpler (but still real) US address. (ie, 123 Main Street, vs 2047 Marymount Lane). As I was typing it, the full address appeared as a suggestion. I selected it, and it was accepted!

So I was able to get wifi calling working on the Aquos in Mexico, no thanks to the garbage software.

However, texting and calling works great.

So my advice to anyone travelling abroad is to just use a simple US address.

Previously I mentioned not being able to use the Aquos phone wifi calling in Mexico. The problem was it wouldnt accept the address.

I was there this weekend and gave it another go.

Test 1: Tried the locate me feature, failed.

Test 2: Went to Google Maps, selected my location, selected the "whats here option" and copied over the entire address. Ie, house number, road, neighborhood, larger neighbhood, city, state, countyy, postal code. Said the address did not work.

Test 3: Disabled locate me, tried typing in a US address. As I was halfway through, the program would crash and it would say "unfortunately, settings has failed". Repeated 4 times.

Test 4: Tried a much simpler (but still real) US address. (ie, 123 Main Street, vs 2047 Marymount Lane). As I was typing it, the full address appeared as a suggestion. I selected it, and it was accepted!

So I was able to get wifi calling working on the Aquos in Mexico, no thanks to the garbage software.

However, texting and calling works great.

So my advice to anyone travelling abroad is to just use a simple US address.

Odd, when I was in Italy last week it never asked for a USA address. I just got a pop-up warning that emergency services wouldn't be available since my WiFi access point was outside of the USA (see my post above, #212). Once I said ok, my WiFi calling/texting was connected. Worked like a charm. Wonder why your phone was asking for an address while in Mexico...

Odd, when I was in Italy last week it never asked for a USA address. I just got a pop-up warning that emergency services wouldn't be available since my WiFi access point was outside of the USA (see my post above, #212). Once I said ok, my WiFi calling/texting was connected. Worked like a charm. Wonder why your phone was asking for an address while in Mexico...

My guess is it's an issue with the last software update on the Aquos. This isn't the first time we heard of WiFi calling messing up on that phone, just the first international problem. I believe Robert had similar issues with his Aquos.

• Like 3

Aquos WiFi calling = No bueno

Since the last update in December, WiFi calling address issues constantly plague me. Sharp has asked me to mail it to them for replacement or repair. I think I will send it in after my trip this weekend.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Yep, I'm pretty sure that it's just an issue with the Aquos as I've mentioned before.

Aquos WiFi calling = No bueno

Since the last update in December, WiFi calling address issues constantly plague me. Sharp has asked me to mail it to them for replacement or repair. I think I will send it in after my trip this weekend.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Were you having the same problem, where the address screen would constantly crash? Or something else?

I didnt test it extensively, but at my dads house (USA lcoation), with the Aquos, I found better call quality using the Airave than with wifi calling, at the same distance from the transmission point.

The Airave sounded normal (not HD), but the Aquos would ocassionally break up.

I didnt have time to troubleshoot, so I simply turned off wifi calling and kept the Airave.

In Mexico I only made one short call to confirm it would work, so I didnt have time to experience if the call quality would also suffer.

Anyone experiencing choppy incoming audio? I've had it more than a few times while at home. We use FIOS. It's impossible to have a conversation so I end up turning off wifi and calling the person back. It would be nice if it could hand off. It's also happened a few other places. Mostly public wifi.

I find wifi calling overall to be a very poor experience on iPhone. I get better results on 1 bar of 1x. Even with 50/50 Fios with low pings, and wifi connect router, I get audio cut out and very low quality calls. Sometimes calls won't complete. And every so often they are perfect and I have no issues. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm keeping it off for now.