Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

Good question. And, if its too old to be a wifi calling candidate, will it even get Lollipop?

Don't be silly...the G2 is not "too old" to support lollipop update.  The specs can easily support the next 2 android versions if it wanted to.  Not getting wifi calling has nothing to do with whether the phone will get the lollipop update.  The G2 should get the lollipop update but it won't be until later on this year.

If you need to use WiFi calling at home or work you would be better off going with a different provider. we used to used AT&T years ago but they had like no signal at my house and there was a bad storm and the power was out including the internet. AT&T is still pretty bad in this area (country) and they may now support WiFi Calling but if the power goes out and there is an emergency it would be useless.

i also dont like how T-mo is doing the fake cell spot stuff and giving people free WiFi routers to improve their in home service. if your power goes out then your service is useless because then you are back to no signal.

do not rely on WiFi calling just because your phone supports it. make sure you actually can get a signal from any provider you choose in your work or home. if you get no service in these areas ditch your provider and go with someone who gets you signal where you need it.

EDIT: or you can just get a 2nd cheapo burner phone on a network that has good voice where you live for emergencies.

If you are out of the country, and connected to a wifi network, can you use Sprint wifi calling to make and receive calls back to the US?

If your phone has the right update. I know the LG G3 recently got an international WiFi calling update.
  • Like 1

If you are out of the country, and connected to a wifi network, can you use Sprint wifi calling to make and receive calls back to the US?

Just keep in mind it seems many public WiFi systems seem to block whatever port Sprint WiFi uses.  That will be more of the issue when abroad (and domestic) probably.

Anyone know why this is the case?

• Like 1

If you need to use WiFi calling at home or work you would be better off going with a different provider. we used to used AT&T years ago but they had like no signal at my house and there was a bad storm and the power was out including the internet. AT&T is still pretty bad in this area (country) and they may now support WiFi Calling but if the power goes out and there is an emergency it would be useless.

i

One caveat. DSL still works during most power outages. I have a battery backup that I hook my router to and I still have internet access via wifi.

One caveat. DSL still works during most power outages. I have a battery backup that I hook my router to and I still have internet access via wifi.

That's because the slick and DSLAM are normally in the same "hut" and tied together. As long as the slick remains up (last-mile copper phone service)...the DSLAM will also remain up. Now if the C.O loses power and batteries run low, the DSLAMS may lose access to the internet backbone, which would still give sync but just no internet...it'd be like having the internet lights on, but no access.

That usually won't happen unless it's a week-long outage though.

I live exactly next-door to the slick which includes the DSLAM that I connect to...power goes out, I keep dial-tone because the slick still runs on battery. I can also still get internet using a backup -- and actually, I've used a vehicle inverter before and ran just my modem + desktop on the vehicle inverter.  DSL can do this. U-verse..I'm not sure. They use an IPDSLAM instead of the cheaper ATM equipment. Technically, it should be the same...if U-verse pulls the internet from a dial-tone as DSL does.

• Like 1

That's because the slick and DSLAM are normally in the same "hut" and tied together. As long as the slick remains up (last-mile copper phone service)...the DSLAM will also remain up. Now if the C.O loses power and batteries run low, the DSLAMS may lose access to the internet backbone, which would still give sync but just no internet...it'd be like having the internet lights on, but no access.

That usually won't happen unless it's a week-long outage though.

I live exactly next-door to the slick which includes the DSLAM that I connect to...power goes out, I keep dial-tone because the slick still runs on battery. I can also still get internet using a backup -- and actually, I've used a vehicle inverter before and ran just my modem + desktop on the vehicle inverter.  DSL can do this. U-verse..I'm not sure. They use an IPDSLAM instead of the cheaper ATM equipment. Technically, it should be the same...if U-verse pulls the internet from a dial-tone as DSL does.

Little known fact. Most phone systems maintain there own power supply for landline based systems. In your case it may be a battery and/or generator system. In dense urban centers it is often generated by the phone company. Your actual landline phone also uses a different voltage. I think its 40 something volts but I have to look it up.

You're thinking of 48v. Mine runs on 48v, I've metered it when the power was out to be sure before i run extension cords and hook up my inverter. Or, just a quick "stick ur tongue to it"...but that's quite dangerous and at the wrong time, could kill someone. I don't recommend that!!

Little known fact. Most phone systems maintain there own power supply for landline based systems. In your case it may be a battery and/or generator system. In dense urban centers it is often generated by the phone company. Your actual landline phone also uses a different voltage. I think its 40 something volts but I have to look it up.

• Like 1

Yeah, you're really not missing much with WiFi Calling at this moment. They are still trying to figure it out and I would not have them expand to more phones until they work the bugs out/build up capacity.

I disagree, I have had a great experience on WiFi calling/texting when i'm at work in a basement below a large steel and concrete building where even Verizon doesn't reach.

I think the quality of the service depends on the quality of the WiFi system (most likely).

One question, will it ever be possible to hand off voice calls from WiFi to cellular without VoLTE? Can T-mo hand off WiFi calls to cellular seamlessly?

• Like 1

I received an update to my Sharp Aquos Crystal and I can no longer use WiFi calling anymore either. It says my home address or any address in my city is not recognized. It worked fine before the update.

Werent you depending on that for your current location?

I disagree, I have had a great experience on WiFi calling/texting when i'm at work in a basement below a large steel and concrete building where even Verizon doesn't reach.

I think the quality of the service depends on the quality of the WiFi system (most likely).

One question, will it ever be possible to hand off voice calls from WiFi to cellular without VoLTE? Can T-mo hand off WiFi calls to cellular seamlessly?

I'm going to guess yes, but I don't know for sure. I don't know if Sprint is using IMS for WiFi Calling. If they are, it should be good to go.

I'm going to guess yes, but I don't know for sure. I don't know if Sprint is using IMS for WiFi Calling. If they are, it should be good to go.

Sprint WiFi calling does not currently hand off to the cellular network. I've been testing it for work so we can approve Sprint as a BYOD option for our users (since Sprint won't pay for DAS on our campus). T-Mo hands off from WiFi to VoLTE, as you'd expect, but Sprint does not hand off a call from WiFi. It just drops. I only have two Sprint devices that I've tested with (HTC One Max and GS5). We'll see if this is the case when they finally implement WiFi calling on iOS.

Sprint WiFi calling does not currently hand off to the cellular network. I've been testing it for work so we can approve Sprint as a BYOD option for our users (since Sprint won't pay for DAS on our campus). T-Mo hands off from WiFi to VoLTE, as you'd expect, but Sprint does not hand off a call from WiFi. It just drops. I only have two Sprint devices that I've tested with (HTC One Max and GS5). We'll see if this is the case when they finally implement WiFi calling on iOS.

To clarify, if handoff ever happens, I believe it would be as part of Sprint adding VoLTE service. I don't think it is technically possible to hand off calls from IMS to CDMA.

• Like 1

Werent you depending on that for your current location?

Yes. And I finally called Sprint about it. After going through a reset with Technical Support, they think it is a problem with the device after the latest update. They gave me a number to call Sharp to have them replace the device. I haven't called, yet.

• 3 months later...

Wi-Fi calling is now on iPhone's with iOS 8.3 update that hit today!  Sprint FAQ has been updated. 

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67#faq6

What phones support Wi-Fi Calling?

Android Devices: To check if your device supports Wi-Fi Calling, go to Settings to look for the Wi-Fi Calling option. Wi-Fi Calling is also listed on the Key Features tab of the phone details page. 

iOS Devices: Wi-Fi Calling is only available on iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6 Plus models.  It requires iOS version 8.3 and the Carrier Version 19.1 or higher. To update to iOS 8.3, go to Settings>General>Software Update. To update the Carrier Version go to Settings>General>About which will trigger the update. Complete this step after the 8.3 Upgrade.

• Like 7

Wi-Fi calling is now on iPhone's with iOS 8.3 update that hit today!  Sprint FAQ has been updated. 

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67#faq6

My daughter (GS5) and her boyfriend (5c) are going to the U.K. in August -- it will be interesting to see how well the international features work by then. (They will, of course, also buy a couple of throwaway phones while they are there).

Out of curiosity, has anyone here at S4GRU actually used Sprint's International WiFi calling?  I would be very interested in your experience.

• Like 1

Hey guys I have a Sprint iPhone 5 and Sprint says they have unlocked it. If I place a T-Mo or AT&T sim in it, it still tells me it is locked. Any ideas?

I thought Sprint only unlocks for international use. 

You have to keep pestering them about it. When you get off the phone with them and you try to see if it's unlocked and it is not, then call them again. It took me about 2 weeks to get it done on my 5S.

-Anthony

• Like 2

You have to keep pestering them about it. When you get off the phone with them and you try to see if it's unlocked and it is not, then call them again. It took me about 2 weeks to get it done on my 5S.

-Anthony

Did you always get the "this device is unlocked already" and then you tested with T-Mo or something and it said it was locked? I've called 5 times already.

From my understanding its now law to unlock phones for domestic and international if the phone meets certain equipments

I may be mistaken but I believe the law applied to phones manufactured after a specific period.  I will go research.

Edit: I am indeed mistaken. Perhaps the iphone 5 you have is unable to be activated on Tmo or att?

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html