Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

I haven't seen any issues with my internet connection, 3/1.5, over the last month with the sprint router. I'm having more issues on the macro network in fringe areas than I did a few months ago though.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I constantly get a network errors with my wifi calling even though my Internet is working fine for anything else. Seems really random.

I am using a Samsung S-5. I do not have that issue, however, I have fine wi-fi calling service at home and even some other places where my phone is able to latch onto good Wi-Fi.  I do notice a slight delay in the voice sometimes, Not real bad. Many people would not notice it, but an experienced person will.

Quite often, at night while I am sleeping, the Wi-Fi calling on my phone crashes.  Next morning, I have to just turn off the Wi-Fi and turn it back on in Settings. It re-syncs and I am fine all day.   I have not been able to figure out why it does that.  I have tried various ways to prove that my Wi-Fi and internet at home is staying operational all night.  I can not find any issue with my internet or Wi-Fi service.  Yet, the Wi-Fi calling crashes at night.    I might suspect that they work on this service quite often since it is new and if so, they might be re-booting it at night, maybe.  For some reason, I have to re-start it manually.

The reason for the need to do a manual restart is unknown.  When I drive away from my home, the Wi-Fi drops and immediately the phone syncs to LTE.  Coming back home, as I enter my driveway, the LTE drops and the phone quickly Syncs to the Wi-Fi Calling with no assistance at all. I do have the ASUS router that Sprint provided.

• Like 1

The only issue I've had with Wifi calling on my S5 is that, without fail, at exactly 30 minutes, the call dies.  Not really sure whether that's the phone or something with my router or what.

- Trip

I am using a Samsung S-5. I do not have that issue, however, I have fine wi-fi calling service at home and even some other places where my phone is able to latch onto good Wi-Fi.  I do notice a slight delay in the voice sometimes, Not real bad. Many people would not notice it, but an experienced person will.

Quite often, at night while I am sleeping, the Wi-Fi calling on my phone crashes.  Next morning, I have to just turn off the Wi-Fi and turn it back on in Settings. It re-syncs and I am fine all day.   I have not been able to figure out why it does that.  I have tried various ways to prove that my Wi-Fi and internet at home is staying operational all night.  I can not find any issue with my internet or Wi-Fi service.  Yet, the Wi-Fi calling crashes at night.    I might suspect that they work on this service quite often since it is new and if so, they might be re-booting it at night, maybe.  For some reason, I have to re-start it manually.

The reason for the need to do a manual restart is unknown.  When I drive away from my home, the Wi-Fi drops and immediately the phone syncs to LTE.  Coming back home, as I enter my driveway, the LTE drops and the phone quickly Syncs to the Wi-Fi Calling with no assistance at all. I do have the ASUS router that Sprint provided.

This happens to me too. (the WiFi crashing overnight, that is)

I constantly get a network errors with my wifi calling even though my Internet is working fine for anything else. Seems really random.

This happens to me too. (the WiFi crashing overnight, that is)

I get the "network error" and WiFi calling crash every night too. 

I have the Sprint connect router, and while the calls that work, work much better than they did on my old router, I still routinely get blocked or dropped calls for absolutely no reason. 

• Like 1

The only issue I've had with Wifi calling on my S5 is that, without fail, at exactly 30 minutes, the call dies.  Not really sure whether that's the phone or something with my router or what.

- Trip

I have not experienced that, but I am not a heavy user of voice calls, especially long ones.

I get the "network error" and WiFi calling crash every night too. 

I have the Sprint connect router, and while the calls that work, work much better than they did on my old router, I still routinely get blocked or dropped calls for absolutely no reason. 

I have not been getting the Blocked or dropped calls issues.  Maybe my calls are going through a different path than yours are?

Sprint may have several sites where these wi-fi calls originate or terminate. I am in Pennsylvania, so they may have a site for the east coast and you may not access it with your calls.  It seems to be almost impossible for me to prove just where my Wi-Fi calls connect to the Sprint network to be completed. I would think that Sprint would have more than one place to process these wi-fi calls if for no other reason, to have redundant sites for back-up when a processor fails.

• Like 1

- Trip

Another comment on this ---this internet does a lot of burping and crapping 24 hours a day. Some is just a slight delay for anybody just surfing the net. Corrupt or lost Data can be automatically resent and you will never know it. But a voice call is much more touchy when you have a burp.  A serious internet burp can cause the voice call to be very poor and the call can drop in some cases.

VOIP calls are not as good as the old POTS calls are, YET.  Maybe soon, but not right now.

I have not been getting the Blocked or dropped calls issues.  Maybe my calls are going through a different path than yours are?

Sprint may have several sites where these wi-fi calls originate or terminate. I am in Pennsylvania, so they may have a site for the east coast and you may not access it with your calls.  It seems to be almost impossible for me to prove just where my Wi-Fi calls connect to the Sprint network to be completed. I would think that Sprint would have more than one place to process these wi-fi calls if for no other reason, to have redundant sites for back-up when a processor fails.

It's almost always the first call after I connect to Wi-Fi calling that fails. All the ones after are fine.

It's almost always the first call after I connect to Wi-Fi calling that fails. All the ones after are fine.

I do not have this issue at all.  My first call will connect properly and stay connected.

Anyone experiencing choppy incoming audio? I've had it more than a few times while at home. We use FIOS. It's impossible to have a conversation so I end up turning off wifi and calling the person back. It would be nice if it could hand off. It's also happened a few other places. Mostly public wifi.

I've had problems with blocked calls and incoming calls not connecting, though this has not been a very big problem as voice calls are super clear when wifi calling works, which is most of the time. When I am on Sprint's network, voice is usually choppy and robotic at home so wifi calling is a much needed improvement. I have Sprint's ASUS router but decided to use Apple's Time Machine instead after seeing that the connection was unreliable.

I've had problems with blocked calls and incoming calls not connecting, though this has not been a very big problem as voice calls are super clear when wifi calling works, which is most of the time. When I am on Sprint's network, voice is usually choppy and robotic at home so wifi calling is a much needed improvement. I have Sprint's ASUS router but decided to use Apple's Time Machine instead after seeing that the connection was unreliable.

I noticed these issues after apple got wifi calling. Same with missing incoming calls. Wifi network error, drop wifi calling and wont even reconnect.

Before leaving to Istanbul Turkey last month I asked Sprint tech support if I could text to the US via Wi-Fi texting. They told me I could call but I'd have to use a 3rd party texting app like Whatsapp to text. I wasn't sure if I believed them but since I often use Whatsapp anyway I didn't mind much.

Upon speed testing the hotel Wi-Fi in Istanbul I immediately became concerned. 700-900kbps download and 700-900kbps upload. I didn't think Wi-Fi calls would work on my Galaxy Note 4 with those speeds but I was wrong. I made several calls to California with no problems at all. Hardly any delay and even the minor delay subsided after 30 seconds or so into the call. Wi-Fi text also worked no problem contrary to what I was told.

• Like 1

Before leaving to Istanbul Turkey last month I asked Sprint tech support if I could text to the US via Wi-Fi texting. They told me I could call but I'd have to use a 3rd party texting app like Whatsapp to text. I wasn't sure if I believed them but since I often use Whatsapp anyway I didn't mind much.

Upon speed testing the hotel Wi-Fi in Istanbul I immediately became concerned. 700-900kbps download and 700-900kbps upload. I didn't think Wi-Fi calls would work on my Galaxy Note 4 with those speeds but I was wrong. I made several calls to California with no problems at all. Hardly any delay and even the minor delay subsided after 30 seconds or so into the call. Wi-Fi text also worked no problem contrary to what I was told.

The data rate needed to transmit/receive voice is really not very high if we're talking a plain ol telephone call.  You could be lower on the data you were seeing and still be ok.  To really break it down, you would need about ~64 kbps (possibly lower since in the bare bones form a typical call is sampled at 8k Hz, since the typical human voice range doesn't cover the whole range we can hear at.) for a phone call with minimal/no compression.

Edited by Cataract2
  • Like 5

I am sure that I have asked this before...but I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the Sprint Nexus 6 getting the ability to make WiFi calls?

I have heard a few rumors that it was coming, but I have not seen any announcements about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having a network connection error? 3 phones, 2 different locations. Started last night

Yes.  Mostly at night.  Have to reset the wi-fi calling on the phone to make it reconnect.  I have a Galaxy S-5.

They still have some bugs in the system apparently.  OK AJ, there is an opportunity to make one of your Smart-Alex type posts.

Bugs, Bugs, surely you have something to say about them.

Yes.  Mostly at night.  Have to reset the wi-fi calling on the phone to make it reconnect.  I have a Galaxy S-5.

They still have some bugs in the system apparently.  OK AJ, there is an opportunity to make one of your Smart-Alex type posts.

Well, the "A" in AJ is for Andrew, not Alex.  So, no smart Alex posts.  But definitely plenty of smart aleck posts.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Anyone else having a network connection error? 3 phones, 2 different locations. Started last night

I see that problem pretty much every night, right around 2 or 3am central.

Yes. Mostly at night. Have to reset the wi-fi calling on the phone to make it reconnect. I have a Galaxy S-5.

They still have some bugs in the system apparently. OK AJ, there is an opportunity to make one of your Smart-Alex type posts.

Ive reset the router and my phone so far to no avail.

I know what your talking about. But after clicking the error it would connect. Not this time. Still getting the error. Cant rely on the towers since it seems like yesterday's storms messed them up in jersey. They acknowledge the towers have a "high block rate"

I know what your talking about. But after clicking the error it would connect. Not this time. Still getting the error. Cant rely on the towers since it seems like yesterday's storms messed them up in jersey. They acknowledge the towers have a "high block rate"

You're still having the problem? That is odd.

go into SETTINGS on your phone, deactivate wi-fi calling and restart it.  Or, just turn off regular Wi-Fi & restart it.  My wi-fi calling starts back up after a short delay doing either one.

Yes, about the same thing with me.  Not sure of the exact time if fails.  It does not start back up without my intervention.

Tis a little funny how it will drop off my wi-fi when I leave home and then quickly reconnect on its own when I return.

When it drops at night, it absolutely will not reconnect on its own. The wi-fi calling does work well for me with this one exception.

I really do not have any issue with the night-time drops as my LTE and CDMA 1x service is good. If a call comes in while the wi-fi calling is off line, I just receive it over the macro sites.

go into SETTINGS on your phone, deactivate wi-fi calling and restart it. Or, just turn off regular Wi-Fi & restart it. My wi-fi calling starts back up after a short delay doing either one.

I ended up having to remove the wifi calling service and then readd it. Good to go now but weird that I had to go to such extent.