Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

Yesterday and today I've had no problems, been using the wifi calling and it's been flawless.

I still have random numbers showing up in my call logs though, including a bunch of calls from my own number while I was sleeping.

How's it going for everyone else?

Has anyone had an issue with "Network connection error. Please try again" message?  I have this continuously on my Samsung S5.  At least for me it appears to be tied to encrypting the phone.  It worked until I encrypted the phone then I just get this error.  To test that theory I decrypted and it started to work again, encrypted and stopped.  Even tried a factory reset and same result.

• Like 1

There seems to be so many wifi calling threads I can't keep track of them all, I posted about this in another one but I'll say it here too.

All afternoon I was more frequently then not getting the fast busy reorder tone as well, while on wifi calling and cellular, incoming and outgoing. Actually disabling the feature corrected it. Spoke with support whom kept trying to make excuses and then finally put a ticket in for it.

the problem seems to subside at night, which makes me think it's some kind of capacity issue in the backend or something.

Figures this would get off to a rocky start, as everything new at Sprint does.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is ever since activating the wifi calling my call logs on the sprint site are showing calls to random 504-406-xxxx numbers which is New Orleans.

Same but mine are 501. It isn't even numbers that I have used with wifi calling enabled which is weird. What is weird is when I googled some of the numbers they aren't even owned by Sprint.

I was dropping calls on wifi calling yesterday on my iPhone. I'll turn it off for now, don't need it at home anyways. I have FiOS 50/50 tier, which consistently has pings below 20ms...so I'm sure my home wifi can handle it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Wi-Fi Calling Support Messaging (SMS & MMS)?

For Android devices, messaging is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode even if there is not any coverage from the Nationwide Sprint Network.

For iOS devices, messaging is still handled by the Nationwide Sprint Network. If you do not have coverage then messaging services are not supported. This functionality is expected to be supported over Wi-Fi in the future. iMessage on iOS is supported over Wi-Fi.  

At least they said it would be supported in the future.  IT is a start.

I have an iPhone. Can I still send/receive texts in an area with strong signal strength from Sprint's network to a non-iPhone while I am using Wifi calling? (The reason for using Wifi calling in the first place is so that my minutes don't get used.)

I have an iPhone. Can I still send/receive texts in an area with strong signal strength from Sprint's network to a non-iPhone while I am using Wifi calling? (The reason for using Wifi calling in the first place is so that my minutes don't get used.)

Yes. Messages are still sent over the Sprint network rather than through WiFi.

The post you quoted indicated that if you have no Sprint network coverage, but have a WiFi connection, you will not be able to send a regular SMS. iMessage will still work. 

• Like 1

The only downside for iPhone users is that you can't use continuity features anymore. So, no sending SMS messages from your Messages.app on your Mac to Android-carrying contacts or making/receiving calls via your iPad/Mac.

So, sorry for the lengthy post. It's partially Airave/partially WiFi Calling, but here goes. 

My issues begin with the following. My Airave 2.0 stopped functioing within the 18337 area code. It's been three years so I guess it was time for it to go. Sprint send me a 2.5 unit, and the GPS will not get a lock, at all, even outside in an open area. I called Sprint and they said they'll replace the new 2.5 unit. Regardless, this is not my main home or residence, but the home sits between two towers. Basically, no service from any carrier. Verizon gets -105 dBm on 3G, and LTE is not existant. Sprint intermittently gives out a -108 dBm 1x signal, and T-Mobile has zero coverage, with intermittant AT&T Roaming, which is still unusable. 

Now, while I wait for Sprint to replace the Airave, one of my devices used to function on WiFi calling in this area, the S4 Mini. However, now when I try to register the exact address in the phone, I get an error message that is screenshotted below. I eventually figured out that Sprint changed their coverage map for my house to a "Off-Network Roaming" Only zone, whereas before it was Sprint 3G. While I applaud Sprint for this improvement, the fact is that this "change" in coverage has caused a loss in WiFi calling. If i register an address just inside the "coverage" zone the calls work fine. However, I am beginning to suspect that this may be the reason why the Airave isn't working as well. When I try to make a call outbound, the call fails.

Back to the Airave, if I leave it on trying to actiave it will connect to the internet, but keep trying to achieve GPS lock by blinking red. Eventually it becomes solid red. A Sprint exployee said the Airave cannot see any GPS signals at all, but I am beginning to question this. I also am questioning whether the Sprint system checks phone coverage maps and not "Airave" coverage maps. Just to be clear, the address, when typed into the Sprint Airave coverage website, says its a go for the whole region. 

Before AJ attacks me for "I shouldn't be a Sprint customer if I don't live in a good service area", I am stating this is a vacation home, which gets poor service from all carriers, so I can't go prepaid and I would need a Fem to Cell unit from ANY carrier.  

My questions and dsicussions: Does Sprint WiFI Calling actually require you to be within Sprint's native footrpint? (From evidence it seems like a yes)

Does the Airave require you to be within Sprint's native footprint, even if Sprint owns licenses in said region? I know Robert mentioned that he cannot activate the Airave in areas that Sprint owns license and does not have service. 

C09UaL6.png

My perception is Sprint asks your location for 911 purposes and to ascertain if you are in the USA or not.  Otherwise, you should be okay.

WiFi calling does NOT affect your calling minutes limit.You need a specified phone with the feature built into the phone.

Sprint related references:  

https://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=sprint_wi_fi_calling&catId=service_communication&catName=Communication&detName=Sprint%2520Wi-Fi%2520Calling&specialCat=#!/

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67#!/

So, sorry for the lengthy post. It's partially Airave/partially WiFi Calling, but here goes.     BALANCE of Original post deleted

Even before I had the new router, I set up Wi-Fi calling for myself.  I had issues getting it to accept my address.  I was at a totally allowed address for the service.  I rebooted the phone, tried Caps on the first character of the street and city, etc.  Noting wanted to work but suddenly it did work. I have no idea why it did not want to work originally or why it suddenly did work.  It appears to be a touchy item.   I SUSPECT the GPS was giving them one address and I was giving them another address since I was physically within 15 feet of my property line.

Even before I had the new router, I set up Wi-Fi calling for myself.  I had issues getting it to accept my address.  I was at a totally allowed address for the service.  I rebooted the phone, tried Caps on the first character of the street and city, etc.  Noting wanted to work but suddenly it did work. I have no idea why it did not want to work originally or why it suddenly did work.  It appears to be a touchy item.   I SUSPECT the GPS was giving them one address and I was giving them another address since I was physically within 15 feet of my property line.

Yes it took me multiple tries to get it to accept the address. The software for this is very poor because the use or lack of a comma can blow the whole thing up, and youre not told why.

Just wondering if folks are still having issues with the Wi-Fi calling on the iPhone?  When it first came out, I and several others were having issues with not being able to place outbound calls and inbound callers getting a number disconnected message.  Removing the feature from the acct was the only way to resolve.  Is this still happening to people?  I am not sure I want to activate again and have issues. 

Does anyone know if HD voice works over wifi calling?

Sent from my Note 4.

It does not. The call quality is usually better than normal but not quite as good as HD.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It does not. The call quality is usually better than normal but not quite as good as HD.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's what I thought. It had never connected as HD so I was just wondering.

Sent from my Note 4.

Anyone having problems with calling 311? Like getting an error message saying the code or number you have dialed is invalid, please try again later?

What is 311?

Non emergency number. I take it that you don't have that option in your state or city. We have it for things that you can call on such as large item pick up, potholes, dog complaints, traffic light issues etc....

• Like 1

Non emergency number. I take it that you don't have that option in your state or city. We have it for things that you can call on such as large item pick up, potholes, dog complaints, traffic light issues etc....

Gothca! My area has an app for that...lol

Gothca! My area has an app for that...lol

We do too, but considering how crappy it is and also the web version its just better to call.

The reason I ask if anyone had issues with calling 311 was somehow Sprint had an issue routing the call which prevented the call to be connected even on the Airave. Which I also was thinking it could also prevent me or someone from calling 911 if they need it.

I wish Sprint would drop the e911 requirements. T-mobile does wifi calling and you don't have to constantly be entering your location to use it.

Also any idea why wifi calling does not work in airplane mode with wifi enabled?

• Like 1