Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

I use the WiFi Connect router for my family, all on iPhones. They occasionally drop the wifi calling for a brief period, and sometimes a call gets choppy upstairs and drops the wifi calling right after the call ends. It's a little annoying. Not sure if it has anything to do with Sprint's set up for wifi calling or my router fighting the Actiontec it's working with.

I see you're in NYC - does your family truly need wi-fi calling in your area, or are you in somewhat of a dead zone? 

The most reliable way of calling in a "good service" area will usually be over the macro network. 

• Like 1

Wifi calling disabled HD voice :-/. That is why I disabled it by clicking update address and clicking disable service, this is the only way to get Hd voice back. I don't really need it, though it's a nice feature to have.

Edited by Pedro1278

I see you're in NYC - does your family truly need wi-fi calling in your area, or are you in somewhat of a dead zone?

The most reliable way of calling in a "good service" area will usually be over the macro network.

We don't need it but I like how there's no delay in connecting the call, the quality, and I like the idea of alleviating the macros in anyway, even if it's something as insignificant as a voice call

• Like 1

We don't need it but I like how there's no delay in connecting the call, the quality, and I like the idea of alleviating the macros in anyway, even if it's something as insignificant as a voice call

I've noticed over the past several months that almost all of my phone calls over the macro network connect in 1 second or less upon hitting the call button. They used to take several seconds to start ringing, now it's nearly instant. Basically like a wifi call.

-Anthony

For those who have used wifi calling internationally. Did you ever get "An international location was detected for this Wi-Fi access point. International locations are not collected or saved." My fiance was trying to activate it while at the airport in Germany but kept getting that message.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

For those who have used wifi calling internationally. Did you ever get "An international location was detected for this Wi-Fi access point. International locations are not collected or saved." My fiance was trying to activate it while at the airport in Germany but kept getting that message.

When I was in Italy and France, I would get the warning located in this post:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5358-sprint-wifi-calling/?p=421065

Once I tapped OK, WiFi calling and texting would work fine.

Ok. I do have one question. If I travel internationally can I just use wifi calling to call back home with out an international plan? Or will I have to still get an international plan? 

(I do know there are some countries where wifi calling is against the law)

Ok. I do have one question. If I travel internationally can I just use wifi calling to call back home with out an international plan? Or will I have to still get an international plan? 

(I do know there are some countries where wifi calling is against the law)

That's correct. You are able to call the U.S. From abroad without an international plan with sprint.

That's correct. You are able to call the U.S. From abroad without an international plan with sprint.

Ok that's what I thought but wanted to double check to make sure I understood it correctly.

Is there a trick to getting it to work? Every time I enable it and my phone indicates the service works, calls just give me the error that my call cannot be completed at this time. It obviously works through Hangouts/Voice but using Sprint's service. 

My fiance still has not been able to get it to work international. Keeps saying it cannot save the address.

What phone is she using? Did she ever set it up initially while she was in the U.S.?

Note 4. Yes it was setup. We've been calling via hangouts but its meh.

Has she turned on her network? Like off of the Airplane Mode? You have to turn off airplane mode for it to work (keeping wifi on), then you'll get it to connect after a PRL update. That's what I had to do in the Netherlands a couple months ago. Seems silly that it won't allow it without that network being enabled. You can still have the roaming guards enabled though so nothing will actually happen with the International roaming.

This may or may not help, but it had me confused for a bit.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

• Like 1

Has she turned on her network? Like off of the Airplane Mode? You have to turn off airplane mode for it to work (keeping wifi on), then you'll get it to connect after a PRL update. That's what I had to do in the Netherlands a couple months ago. Seems silly that it won't allow it without that network being enabled. You can still have the roaming guards enabled though so nothing will actually happen with the International roaming.

This may or may not help, but it had me confused for a bit.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Now that you mention it. I believe she stated airplane mode is on. Ill have her try it and report back.

EDIT

She does have airplane mode off.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting.. I'm on a Lufthansa flight over the Atlantic and wifi calling works on their T-Mobile er Magenta on board hotspot. Calls aren't even blocked!

Whoa, you are BIG BUSINESS NOW.  Have fun on your trip! 

Interesting.. I'm on a Lufthansa flight over the Atlantic and wifi calling works on their T-Mobile er Magenta on board hotspot. Calls aren't even blocked!

With a TMo phone or a Sprint phone??

My fiance still has not been able to get it to work international. Keeps saying it cannot save the address.

I had the same issue in Mexico.

Instead of using the real address I just put in my USA address and it accepted it.

• Like 1

With a TMo phone or a Sprint phone??

Sprint. This was T-Mobile international hotspot.

Apparently the network actually takes GSM signal on the aircraft and they said it would be disabled when entering north America due to it being illegal. Still worked though :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Up until a week ago, I had the fastest wired Internet that I could get from my ISP, 10/1 DSL. Wifi calling was kind of OK. It seemed to lag more than I wanted it to though. Last week, my ISP (Shentel) finally rolled out cable Internet to my area. I got their slowest cable plan (15/3) and what a difference. Everything works better, including wifi calling. Just for reference, I have had the Sprint wifi connect router since it first came out, so my router wasn't the issue as to why it was lagging. It was the crappy DSL connection.

(Off topic) The only downside is that 15/3 costs $80 per month. Hopefully the costs will come down over time because it's crazy compared to what others pay around the country. Here's the other tiers so those elsewhere can just be thankful for what you have: 25/5 - $100, 50/10 - $140. Their fastest speed available is 101/10, which costs $200! Crazy, I know. There are many benefits to living in a rural county, but Internet costs are not one of them. 

• Like 2

Why is Sprint using an older version of WiFi calling?  Is it more cost effective?  Trying to find out because I was hoping to have WiFi calling built into AOSP-based ROMs, but it will only work with T-Mobile's WiFi calling setup; not Sprints.

• Like 2

Something to keep in mind.  QOS (Quality of Service) on your router could help in a slow internet connection situation (ie: 10/1)  You would need to give the WIFI Calling a greater priority to ensure it has the bandwidth to do it's job.  Though, to be fair.  I doubt WIFI calling really needs much as voice calls use very little data or bandwidth.