SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Did it spill like this

Haha no, it was more like a tsunami that flowed directly across the keyboard, no explosion.. thankfully I somehow had the instinct to jump up immediately and rip the battery and plug out, I think that's what saved me. And being from Boston, I was hoping to see Francesa make a bigger mess of himself than that ;)

-Mike

• Like 1

It took a lot longer than I planned thanks to an unfortunate accident with a can of Sprite (the keys on my keyboard are sticking to the board and very difficult to type on...

I could make a patently obvious "sticky keyboard" joke, but alas, I will refrain.

Instead, I will offer you this advice.  Two words:  diet soda.  No sugar equals no sticky keyboard.

AJ

• Like 2

It should be available on Google Play within the hour. It includes all of the pertinent updates that Pro users received between January and April, including bugfixes, Sprint B26/B41 identification, and enhanced WiFi information.

The full changelog is online here: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/change-log/

-Mike

Mike, you should change "SignalCheck Lite" to "SignalCheck Limited,"  I bet you would see an increase in purchases for the "Pro" version. :P  

Can't wait to see what you have in store in the coming months for SignalCheck Pro.  

• Like 1

I could make a patently obvious "sticky keyboard" joke, but alas, I will refrain.

Instead, I will offer you this advice.  Two words:  diet soda.  No sugar equals no sticky keyboard.

Ha! Walked right into that one.. but diet, yuck! I don't drink a lot of soda, but when I do, I want my high fructose corn syrup. I don't care what the nutrition facts say, I'm not drinking it for its health benefits. Besides, it's probably better than whatever sugar-tasting chemical they add to diet soda to try (and fail) to make it taste similar.

Caught this today. It's b26 because it rolled right to 1b sector after. But strange. I'm in new Orleans.

That is odd -- I'll add that to the ever-growing list of things to check on. The B26 indicator has proven to be very reliable but obviously I haven't perfected it quite yet.

Mike, you should change "SignalCheck Lite" to "SignalCheck Limited,"  I bet you would see an increase in purchases for the "Pro" version. :P  

Can't wait to see what you have in store in the coming months for SignalCheck Pro.  

Hmm well "Limited" in some contexts means it's better.. my Jeep is a "Limited", which means it has all sorts of fancy upgrades the standard version doesn't have. Besides, I think there's enough annoying reminders in Lite that makes it impossible for anyone to miss that there is another version with more bells and whistles.. ;)

Thanks for the motivational poke veiled as a compliment, well done! Haha.. just still in a crazy-busy stretch with a lot of other stuff cutting into my computer-nerding time. I'm still here though, and (slowly) working on some new goodies for everyone to enjoy. Troubleshooting existing stuff would get a bit easier if Sprint and Google could just get the N5 Spark update pushed out for me...

-Mike

Caught this today. It's b26 because it rolled right to 1b sector after. But strange. I'm in new Orleans.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think that's Ericsson spending too much time on Bourbon street again.  The PCI shows it as being the gamma sector, but who knows if they can add 169 anymore.

• Like 2

why doesnt the lte side show the location? it wasnt a problem when i had a phone that could be on 2 bands, but the M8 cant do that, so i have no ide where the tower is. are there plans to add this in the future?

why doesnt the lte side show the location? it wasnt a problem when i had a phone that could be on 2 bands, but the M8 cant do that, so i have no ide where the tower is. are there plans to add this in the future?

No.  It's the site and phone, not a problem or lake of feature of the app. 

Also, the location you were getting with your voice was probably most often, not the same site as your LTE on your old phone.  They aren't from the same source all the time unless you're in an isolated area.  LTE signals don't broadcast the locations.  You have to cross reference the GCI of the LTE with the known lists in your area.....and those are in the premier forums.

• Like 3

Also, the location you were getting with your voice was probably most often, not the same site as your LTE on your old phone.  They aren't from the same source all the time unless you're in an isolated area.  LTE signals don't broadcast the locations.  You have to cross reference the GCI of the LTE with the known lists in your area.....and those are in the premier forums.

so the site doesnt broadcasts the information on the lte bands, its not the fact that the app doesnt display it. bummer. thanks for the info! :tu:

• Like 1

so the site doesnt broadcasts the information on the lte bands, its not the fact that the app doesnt display it. bummer. thanks for the info! :tu:

If your market has a map for tracking that will be the easiest way to find tower location

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Pretty much.. but it's not a limitation of any one site or wireless provider; it's the actual LTE protocol itself. 1X is the only protocol that I am aware of that carries any site location data. Nothing similar is included in any other protocols (EV-DO/eHRPD, LTE, UMTS, HSPA+, HSDPA, etc). That is why 1X is the only connection that shows location information within SignalCheck.

-Mike

• Like 1

Somewhat un related question here. Today I've seen the lte icon pop up briefly several times, more than usual I'd say, however not enough to establish a connection but it does set off the chime on the app. Is this due to the phone's normall cycle of checking for lte, or can it be due to testing on the actual site? There is really no pattern of occurence so I was just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Somewhat un related question here. Today I've seen the lte icon pop up briefly several times, more than usual I'd say, however not enough to establish a connection but it does set off the chime on the app. Is this due to the phone's normall cycle of checking for lte, or can it be due to testing on the actual site? There is really no pattern of occurence so I was just wondering.

The alert(s) will go off immediately upon your device reporting the current connection type is LTE. So even if it's a momentary unusable glimpse of signal, the app will fire off the alert.

-Mike

• Like 1

Mike,

Fussy feature request: Any chance that you could allow adding a Note to the last active LTE site after it becomes inactive? I often catch a site briefly, but by the time I can add a Note, it has become inactive.

Thanks for considering, and for all your effort.

• Like 4

Fussy feature request: Any chance that you could allow adding a Note to the last active LTE site after it becomes inactive? I often catch a site briefly, but by the time I can add a Note, it has become inactive.

Hmm that might be feasible.. I will see if I can make it happen. I can see how that could be handy! Thanks for the suggestion.

-Mike

• Like 1

Pretty much.. but it's not a limitation of any one site or wireless provider; it's the actual LTE protocol itself. 1X is the only protocol that I am aware of that carries any site location data. Nothing similar is included in any other protocols (EV-DO/eHRPD, LTE, UMTS, HSPA+, HSDPA, etc). That is why 1X is the only connection that shows location information within SignalCheck.

-Mike

Thanks for the info Mike.

Hey MikeJeep, I just got a new phone and was wondering where the notes db is stored so I can move it to the new phone?

root/data/data/com.blueline.signalcheck/databases/signalcheck_log.db

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Would it be possible to manually add notes to tower info without connecting to it? There are a lot of markets that are documenting GCI's and we could pre load them in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Would it be possible to manually add notes to tower info without connecting to it? There are a lot of markets that are documenting GCI's and we could pre load them in.

Yes.. the site notes and logging is all kept in an sqlite database (/data/data/com.blueline.signalcheck/databases/signalcheck_log.db) that can be manually edited however you wish. Run the Site Logger for a little while to populate the database with some data, then take a look at it with the sqlite editor of your choice to see the format. You can just add the PLMN, GCI, and Site Note if you want; or go all out and fill in PCI, TAC, etc. If you manually put in PLMN+GCI+note, the first time you connect to the site with the Logger enabled it will populate the remaining fields.

I do intend to post some specific details about the database format and what you can do with it, I just haven't had time to write it up yet. But if you look at an existing log, it should be pretty self explanatory.

-Mike

• Like 3

Yes.. the site notes and logging is all kept in an sqlite database (/data/data/com.blueline.signalcheck/databases/signalcheck_log.db) that can be manually edited however you wish. Run the Site Logger for a little while to populate the database with some data, then take a look at it with the sqlite editor of your choice to see the format. You can just add the PLMN, GCI, and Site Note if you want; or go all out and fill in PCI, TAC, etc. If you manually put in PLMN+GCI+note, the first time you connect to the site with the Logger enabled it will populate the remaining fields.

Finally got the B26 pattern figured out for both markets for my folks and made a file with all the sectors. Right around 3000 rows. I did add an index based on the plmn and GCI for quicker lookups though. All seems well and it identifies them fine even with a big file.

• Like 1

I do intend to post some specific details about the database format and what you can do with it, I just haven't had time to write it up yet. But if you look at an existing log, it should be pretty self explanatory.

-Mike

Looks like you have to be rooted to see this file, unless there is an import/export feature that I am missing?