SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Galaxy Note 2 is now reporting GCI and TAC in SCP after the KitKat upgrade!!!

I bet Mike's chats with Samsung helped get the extra info on some of their phones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks like you have to be rooted to see this file, unless there is an import/export feature that I am missing?

there is an export on the menu > logs.. > export site log

Looks like you have to be rooted to see this file, unless there is an import/export feature that I am missing?

Ahhh yes my bad, I should have mentioned that. Root is required to access that folder. I'm working on adding an import/export feature to make it easier (and not require root).

I bet Mike's chats with Samsung helped get the extra info on some of their phones.

Who knows, but I'd be humbled if I did have some influence! Hopefully they fix their PLMN issues and add PCI in the next round of updates. But maybe I shouldn't get too greedy..

-Mike

• Like 2

Who knows, but I'd be humbled if I did have some influence! Hopefully they fix their PLMN issues and add PCI in the next round of updates. But maybe I shouldn't get too greedy..

Just do not get Samsung to correct its "enginerring."  I rike it a rot because it makes me raugh.

AJ

• Like 8

Hi Mike, I realize the export log file name is long already, but any chance of including the device type/model? or, probably less ideally but perhaps more useful, a log column for the device model?

so that logs/maps can be more easily filtered/identified between different phone models.

Hi Mike, I realize the export log file name is long already, but any chance of including the device type/model? or, probably less ideally but perhaps more useful, a log column for the device model?

so that logs/maps can be more easily filtered/identified between different phone models.

I understand what you're getting at, hadn't thought of that. That would really extend the filename length, but I can look into it; maybe add an option to let users choose their preferred log naming style. I won't add a database column for device model though, doesn't make much sense to repeatedly insert the same value over and over again.

-Mike

• Like 1

Mike, I've been seeing some funky screens in Signal Check. The data is all over the place; it's reporting the wrong band, and some strange frequencies. This is on my m8madedu2a.jpgy9aqyraq.jpg

Edit: I just sent a report.

Sent from my HTC One M8

LOL trying to force my hand, are you? ;) They just activated that feature for me yesterday; this morning I started setting it up for my small group of beta testers, but until I start playing with it some more, I'm not sure how it works. It looks like access control will be through Google Groups; this means I either have to invite each person individually by e-mail address, or keep it open it to the public. I'd prefer to spend what little free time I have to devote to SignalCheck spent adding more features instead of tackling administrative overhead.

That being said, I have already given some thought as to how to use this to hook up S4GRU Premier Sponsors. S4GRU is probably my biggest userbase, and I'd love to try and 'throw a bone' to those who have helped out this site the most. I'd be most willing to go this route, but I need to figure out the logistics first.

I announce new versions here on S4GRU first, usually immediately after I finish uploading it to Google Play. Also, Pro users get updates a few days in advance of Lite users. I don't want to release updates too often and annoy people, but at the same time, when I have a few useful things ready to go, I update the app. I wish I could say that I have a whole pile of awesome features that I'm holding back from you guys, but I promise, whatever I have working is in the latest release of the app!

-Mike

Mike,

Would it be possible to add the current LTE band to the notification bar as an option? Maybe a big 25,26, or 41 next to the current notification when LTE is connected? Or even changing the current "LTE/ -XX" dBm notification to "LTE41/-XX"

dBm or something like that?

Also, are b26 and b41 alerts an option like our current 1x800 alerts?

• Like 1

Mike, I've been seeing some funky screens in Signal Check. The data is all over the place; it's reporting the wrong band, and some strange frequencies. This is on my m8

Thanks for the screenshots and report, Vince.. in your screenshots, the app still thought it was on 311490 (indicating B41) but the UL/DL channels displaying are for B26 (26763/8763) and B25 (26665/8665). So the app was applying the B41 frequency calculations to B26 and B25 connections, giving you the goofy information. It is one of the issues I'm working on addressing now for the next update. I'm going to end up having two separate branches of code; one for HTC devices that can grab the frequency data, and therefore provide more reliable information; and one for everyone else, where the app has to essentially guess what it is connected to. For some reason, the PLMN is not updating as fast as it should, resulting in people on many different devices getting "stuck" PLMNs.

Would it be possible to add the current LTE band to the notification bar as an option? Maybe a big 25,26, or 41 next to the current notification when LTE is connected? Or even changing the current "LTE/ -XX" dBm notification to "LTE41/-XX"

dBm or something like that?

Also, are b26 and b41 alerts an option like our current 1x800 alerts?

All of this is in the plans.. just trying to focus on getting B26/B41 identification more stable first. I don't want to highlight band information knowing that it's not reliable yet. As you can see by Vince's example above, it is still rough around the edges. It's challenging because there is no method that directly gives me the band.. it's all based on calculations from PLMN/GCI patterns that S4GRU users and others have identified.

-Mike

• Like 3

I did a little pestering today. I found this new thing called twitter and it lets me bother companies about stuff  :rasp:

Anyway I was asking samsung support about a different problem when they asked if there was anything else they could help me with so since they asked, I figured I would bring up the PLMN and PCI issues with the samsung radio. They said they would 'definately forward' that information, especially after I mentioned that other manufacturers let apps have access to it. I know it probably wont go anywhere but it cant hurt to bring it up with them. 

• Like 2

I did a little pestering today. I found this new thing called twitter and it lets me bother companies about stuff :rasp:

Anyway I was asking samsung support about a different problem when they asked if there was anything else they could help me with so since they asked, I figured I would bring up the PLMN and PCI issues with the samsung radio. They said they would 'definately forward' that information, especially after I mentioned that other manufacturers let apps have access to it. I know it probably wont go anywhere but it cant hurt to bring it up with them.

all you can do is try and if it comes up enough or hits the right person it can effect change.

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

• Like 2

Thanks for the screenshots and report, Vince.. in your screenshots, the app still thought it was on 311490 (indicating B41) but the UL/DL channels displaying are for B26 (26763/8763) and B25 (26665/8665). So the app was applying the B41 frequency calculations to B26 and B25 connections, giving you the goofy information. It is one of the issues I'm working on addressing now for the next update. I'm going to end up having two separate branches of code; one for HTC devices that can grab the frequency data, and therefore provide more reliable information; and one for everyone else, where the app has to essentially guess what it is connected to. For some reason, the PLMN is not updating as fast as it should, resulting in people on many different devices getting "stuck" PLMNs.

All of this is in the plans.. just trying to focus on getting B26/B41 identification more stable first. I don't want to highlight band information knowing that it's not reliable yet. As you can see by Vince's example above, it is still rough around the edges. It's challenging because there is no method that directly gives me the band.. it's all based on calculations from PLMN/GCI patterns that S4GRU users and others have identified.

-Mike

Another GCI range to add to your chart, some folks in the NOLA area found a DAS with GCI's ending in 04, 05, 06.  It's an odd one since it covers many streets.  After some digging and researching things, this video was also found by JWMaloney.

If you feel like doing a 310-410 conversion as well for 0F, 10, 11 being B17 and 16, 17, 18 being B4.  Their B17 DAS's seem to be 13, 14, 15 for B17. Not sure if that mess up anything as I have no idea what they use on PCS or Cellular LTE bands for GCIs.

• Like 3

Another GCI range to add to your chart, some folks in the NOLA area found a DAS with GCI's ending in 04, 05, 06.  It's an odd one since it covers many streets.  After some digging and researching things, this video was also found by JWMaloney.

If you feel like doing a 310-410 conversion as well for 0F, 10, 11 being B17 and 16, 17, 18 being B4.  Their B17 DAS's seem to be 13, 14, 15 for B17. Not sure if that mess up anything as I have no idea what they use on PCS or Cellular LTE bands for GCIs.

The hub he was referring to in that video also showed up on the Network Vision map a while back:

UqRVRa7.png

I confirmed it with permits dating all the way back to 2007 for all 4 major carriers when it was constructed, and with Street View imagery of the hut/cabinets themselves.

• Like 1

The hub he was referring to in that video also showed up on the Network Vision map a while back:

UqRVRa7.png

I confirmed it with permits dating all the way back to 2007 for all 4 major carriers when it was constructed, and with Street View imagery of the hut/cabinets themselves.

That odd kinda sorta DAS cascade threw us off for while especially with it not listed as a DAS. Glad to see all the pieces come together on that mystery.

• Like 1

Samsung must have listened to you Mike!  I'm loving the 4.4.2 KitKat upgrade along with the 3.4 kernal that was ready to be installed this morning, my GS3 has new life. :)   I do have a question regarding the GCI, what is it, and why will it not let me add site notes to the LTE side (it would help me very much)?  Also it in the screenshot below the PLMN ID is "Unknown 3100."

I did a little pestering today. I found this new thing called twitter and it lets me bother companies about stuff  :rasp:

Awesome, thanks! The more people that bother them, the more likelihood that the message actually gets delivered to someone who can do something about it..

Wow, those are some slick DAS installs, thanks for sharing the video. I never would have considered something like that to have equipment inside, especially the ones with city signs on them. I will make a note of the patterns and get them into a future update, thanks. If anyone else notices similar patterns for other providers, feel free to share them with me.

Samsung must have listened to you Mike!  I'm loving the 4.4.2 KitKat upgrade along with the 3.4 kernal that was ready to be installed this morning, my GS3 has new life. :)   I do have a question regarding the GCI, what is it, and why will it not let me add site notes to the LTE side (it would help me very much)?  Also it in the screenshot below the PLMN ID is "Unknown 3100."

You sort of answered your own question without realizing it. The toast message is a bit misleading since it says the GCI is invalid, but what is really wrong is the PLMN is invalid (I'll make a note to clarify the message). The app needs both PLMN+GCI to create a site note entry. I thought the single-band S3 reported the PLMN correctly, but clearly it's not; I saw the report you sent in, it's reporting the proper MCC (310) but not MNC (0). One step forward, one step back for Samsung.. they must not test out these things before it goes out the door.

-Mike

• Like 1

You sort of answered your own question without realizing it. The toast message is a bit misleading since it says the GCI is invalid, but what is really wrong is the PLMN is invalid (I'll make a note to clarify the message). The app needs both PLMN+GCI to create a site note entry. I thought the single-band S3 reported the PLMN correctly, but clearly it's not; I saw the report you sent in, it's reporting the proper MCC (310) but not MNC (0). One step forward, one step back for Samsung.. they must not test out these things before it goes out the door.

-Mike

Mike, I think I may have fixed the MCC-MNC that was only displaying "3100."  I will report back when I'm in an LTE service area and will let you know if I was successful or not.  

• Like 1

Mike, I can honestly say that since the nexus 5 4.4.3 update, the band indicator doesn't stick...ever. For two days now, on my work commute, I'm seeing the bands switch from 41-25-26 and it reports accurately every time. It used to always hang on band 41 no matter what band I was on, and this was in several different devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mike, I think I may have fixed the MCC-MNC that was only displaying "3100."  I will report back when I'm in an LTE service area and will let you know if I was successful or not.  

Mike, I sent you a PM regarding this, I think you will be pleased  :)

• Like 1

I am wondering if signal check can help identify any so-called 'stingray' devices, or if those devices impersonate actual tower identifiers.

Is there a way for signal check to get the associated MAC address of the connected base station sector?

I know on wimax you can see the base station MAC's, but it is not listed in the lte engineering screen, and I haven't gone through every other screen looking for it.

I am wondering if signal check can help identify any so-called 'stingray' devices, or if those devices impersonate actual tower identifiers.

Is there a way for signal check to get the associated MAC address of the connected base station sector?

I know on wimax you can see the base station MAC's, but it is not listed in the lte engineering screen, and I haven't gone through every other screen looking for it.

I don't believe so.. I have never come across site MAC addresses on the programming side or the user side. It's probably not accessible to clients.

-Mike

• Like 1

You're confusing technologies. WiMAX is an IEEE standard and uses MAC addresses to identify both base stations and UE. They aren't used in LTE.

• Like 3

I had thought pretty much all tcpip based network hardware layer interfaces used MAC's or some variation

But I see, thanks for the clarification.

I had thought pretty much all tcpip based network hardware layer interfaces used MAC's or some variation

But I see, thanks for the clarification.

They do, on the TCP/IP side. Just not on the air link side. Closest thing would probably be GCI/PCI.