SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Hmm that shouldn't affect EV-DO signal display.. try turning that back on and see if its messed up again. Those two things shouldn't have anything to do with each other.

-Mike

Well I tried that and it still seems to be working as it should. The only other thing I did was clearing the app data in settings (after backing up my log and such). I wouldn't think that would affect anything either though.

Well I tried that and it still seems to be working as it should. The only other thing I did was clearing the app data in settings (after backing up my log and such). I wouldn't think that would affect anything either though.

Gremlins I guess! There isn't anything I can think of within the app that would hide EV-DO/eHRPD information.. it shows whatever the phone is reporting as long as its -120 dB RSSI or better I believe. That part of the app is far simpler than the 1X or LTE routines, mostly because there isn't really much data to work with.

-Mike

Gremlins I guess! There isn't anything I can think of within the app that would hide EV-DO/eHRPD information.. it shows whatever the phone is reporting as long as its -120 dB RSSI or better I believe. That part of the app is far simpler than the 1X or LTE routines, mostly because there isn't really much data to work with.

-Mike

Oh well, thanks for the help.

Hey. Mike not sure if anyone has brought this up yet. But anyway to disable scp notifications when wifi calling is enabled. Since it basically disables all other radios.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Catching up on the messages I missed over the past couple of weeks.. if I missed anything else please let me know!

Sent in the report. To be clear, the app short cuts work fine. It just flashes a message that they may not be available on this device right before loading up the engineering screens.

I've had a chance to look into this -- LG changed some system security permissions that prevent SignalCheck from launching some of the System Shortcuts directly. It still works because I have a workaround in place, but there is no way for the app to know if it succeeded or not -- that's why it says the screen "may not" be available. I'm exploring ways to improve this, but it's just cosmetic at this point.

Mike, I would hate to keep you busy with SCP but with Google I/O you may have to add Android Wear  notifications to your app.

Oh dear, I was afraid of this, haha! I'm not opposed to adding support, it just might be tricky to troubleshoot unless they come up with decent emulator I can test it with. Upon first glance, it looks like the regular notifications that appear on the phone should appear on a wearable device too, but perhaps I'm wrong? 

Mike would there be a reason SCP would stop letting me add notes to sites?

For LTE sites, it needs to identify the PLMN and GCI -- if either of those items is missing, it won't let you do anything with notes. Are you seeing an error, or did it just seem to stop working?

Hey. Mike not sure if anyone has brought this up yet. But anyway to disable scp notifications when wifi calling is enabled. Since it basically disables all other radios.

Nobody had brought that up; what exactly are you looking to disable? WiFi Calling has proven to be kind of difficult to deal with so far, because Android doesn't seem to have anything that reports anything about it. But I'll try doing whatever I can.

-Mike

For LTE sites, it needs to identify the PLMN and GCI -- if either of those items is missing, it won't let you do anything with notes. Are you seeing an error, or did it just seem to stop working?

-Mike

It isn't all sites. The ones I've been having trouble with has been reporting everything correctly.

It isn't all sites. The ones I've been having trouble with has been reporting everything correctly.

Does it show any errors? What happens when you click to enter a note? Do existing notes appear? Is this on a G2? Am I annoying yet? ;)

-Mike

Does it show any errors? What happens when you click to enter a note? Do existing notes appear? Is this on a G2? Am I annoying yet? ;)

-Mike

No sir you aren't annoying yet. These are the steps it takes to troubleshoot. It is on a G2. If I tap the GCI to put the note in it will come up with the spot to insert the note. Enter the note and hit save and nothing. No errors or anything. I originally was suggest that it was due to the PLMN not being correct but it will let me save it on other bot ways but not certain sites. 

Nobody had brought that up; what exactly are you looking to disable? WiFi Calling has proven to be kind of difficult to deal with so far, because Android doesn't seem to have anything that reports anything about it. But I'll try doing whatever I can.

-Mike

Just wondering if scp can automatically disable it's own notification when wifi calling is enabled. Because since all other radios are disabled, the scp notification (and the system signal bars) are kinda useless and taking up status bar real estate. Wifi calling already adds another status bar icon that's kinda unnecessary. I wish they could've incorporated the wifi calling icon with the wifi icon.

4yge5e9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No sir you aren't annoying yet. These are the steps it takes to troubleshoot. It is on a G2. If I tap the GCI to put the note in it will come up with the spot to insert the note. Enter the note and hit save and nothing. No errors or anything. I originally was suggest that it was due to the PLMN not being correct but it will let me save it on other bot ways but not certain sites. 

Aha.. I think I know what is going on, I've seen that occasionally. It will hopefully be fixed in the next update. There's a conflict between the PLMN you are seeing on the screen and the PLMN the app thinks it is connected to. So your note is saving in the database, but with a different PLMN than is showing on the screen, so it doesn't appear. I've been trying to rip apart the PLMN code to improve this, but some devices are just not behaving properly.

Just wondering if scp can automatically disable it's own notification when wifi calling is enabled. Because since all other radios are disabled, the scp notification (and the system signal bars) are kinda useless and taking up status bar real estate. Wifi calling already adds another status bar icon that's kinda unnecessary. I wish they could've incorporated the wifi calling icon with the wifi icon.

I see.. I probably won't be able to get something like that in there, at least not at the moment. Android 4.1-4.4.2 devices (the majority of phones on the street at the moment) require the notification icon to prevent the program from getting killed off in the background due to an Android bug, so I would have to exclude those devices. And like I said before, tying into WiFi calling isn't an easy chore. Sorry!

-Mike

Mike,

I just got a replacement Kyocera Torque, but it is not displaying the network provider, Sprint, correctly. Instead, is showing Chameleon. As you'll see in the screenshots, engineering screen is displaying correctly.

This phone is using a different software/baseband than my old Torque. Knowing Sprint, I may have a bad replacement. Just trying to eliminate possibilities; I emailed you debug data yesterday.

5ybegypa.jpg7azu3u8a.jpgepuzegyn.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404829472296.jpg

• Like 1

I just got a replacement Kyocera Torque, but it is not displaying the network provider, Sprint, correctly. Instead, is showing Chameleon.

Chameleon?  Chameleon!  Ha ha ha!  I guess the "L" in your LTE stands for "lizard."

Mike, is this your doing?  Did you program SignalCheck to display "Chameleon" if the handset reports an invalid MCC-MNC?  If so, you should make it more interesting.  Have it display something like "FBI Surveillance Network."  That would freak out a fair number of people.

AJ

• Like 8

Okay, I'm really confused. Somehow it's telling me I'm on B41 yet my phone isn't triband!? 

http://imgur.com/fIWJWN7

I'm assuming a hiccup in the program? Kinda makes me want to upgrade to the S5 to "actually" get B41.

Okay, I'm really confused. Somehow it's telling me I'm on B41 yet my phone isn't triband!? 

http://imgur.com/fIWJWN7

I'm assuming a hiccup in the program? Kinda makes me want to upgrade to the S5 to "actually" get B41.

What device are you using? If it is the Samsung Galaxy Victory like it says in your Phones/Devices on your profile, then it is probably just that beautiful Samsung "enginerring". ;)

-Anthony

• Like 4

What device are you using? If it is the Samsung Galaxy Victory like it says in your Phones/Devices on your profile, then it is probably just that beautiful Samsung "engineering". ;)

-Anthony

Why is engineering in quotes? That's spelled correctly, Samsung misspells theirs as enginerring 

• Like 2

I just got a replacement Kyocera Torque, but it is not displaying the network provider, Sprint, correctly. Instead, is showing Chameleon. As you'll see in the screenshots, engineering screen is displaying correctly.

The first issue is that it looks like it suffers from the same problem that some Samsung phones do.. its not reporting the MNC properly (310-000 instead of 310-120 for Sprint). When that happens, the app recognizes the problem and shows the "home" provider name instead. But there is something odd with your phone's programming, problem #2.. the home network provider is set to "Chameleon", which I confirmed by checking the report you sent (thanks). I feel like someone else reported something similar awhile back. Are you on a custom ROM? There must be something proprietary going on in the background that is giving the OS the proper network name. It's not doing it correctly through the standard Android routines.

Mike, is this your doing? Did you program SignalCheck to display "Chameleon" if the handset reports an invalid MCC-MNC? If so, you should make it more interesting. Have it display something like "FBI Surveillance Network." That would freak out a fair number of people.

Well the NSA already pays me millions of dollars per month for the data I am secretly scraping from everyone. Oops, I promised I wouldn't tell.. crap..

You are enjoying the best feature of the app -- it turns any device into a tri-band phone!! Not bad for $1.99 right?? ;)

I am guessing you are a Boost or Virgin Mobile user? They share PLMNs with Sprint B41, but SignalCheck is supposed to be able to recognize that and display it properly. Please send a report (About > Send Diagnostics) and I can see what's going on there.

-Mike

• Like 1

Mike,

This phone is using a different software/baseband than my old Torque. Knowing Sprint, I may have a bad replacement. Just trying to eliminate possibilities; I emailed you debug data yesterday.

I had that when I first activated my G2 after receiving it in the mail.  The issue was that I never went all the way through self activation.  I had data and could use it, but I never let it install all of the Sprint bloatware.

If I was you, I would give the self activation a try again (and if that doesn't work, try the good ol' update profile).  Completely painless, and it might save you a trip to a Sprint store.

The first issue is that it looks like it suffers from the same problem that some Samsung phones do.. its not reporting the MNC properly (310-000 instead of 310-120 for Sprint). When that happens, the app recognizes the problem and shows the "home" provider name instead. But there is something odd with your phone's programming, problem #2.. the home network provider is set to "Chameleon", which I confirmed by checking the report you sent (thanks). I feel like someone else reported something similar awhile back. Are you on a custom ROM? There must be something proprietary going on in the background that is giving the OS the proper network name. It's not doing it correctly through the standard Android routines.

Well the NSA already pays me millions of dollars per month for the data I am secretly scraping from everyone. Oops, I promised I wouldn't tell.. crap..

You are enjoying the best feature of the app -- it turns any device into a tri-band phone!! Not bad for $1.99 right?? ;)

I am guessing you are a Boost or Virgin Mobile user? They share PLMNs with Sprint B41, but SignalCheck is supposed to be able to recognize that and display it properly. Please send a report (About > Send Diagnostics) and I can see what's going on there.

-Mike

I'm not on a custom ROM, but I am rooted. I've talked to other Torque users using SCP and they are not having the 'Chameleon' problem I'm having, so I would assume it's something related to my specific Torque. I called a Sprint friend of mine and they're going to reflash it next week when I have time.

Anywho, I decided to try previous versions of SCP to see where it brakes, and it's @ v4.18- it goes to unknown. V4.19 says Chameleon. I'm now using old v4.17 because it shows Sprint.

avu8u9an.jpg9uqaha3e.jpg

I had that when I first activated my G2 after receiving it in the mail. The issue was that I never went all the way through self activation. I had data and could use it, but I never let it install all of the Sprint bloatware.

If I was you, I would give the self activation a try again (and if that doesn't work, try the good ol' update profile). Completely painless, and it might save you a trip to a Sprint store.

Funny you mentioned a provisioning issue- I had a hell of a time getting data to provision. Had to manually program it for voice first since it wouldn't auto provision, then I got it to finally provision by hitting ##72786#

I did just try a profile update and it didn't change anything.

I'm not on a custom ROM, but I am rooted. I've talked to other Torque users using SCP and they are not having the 'Chameleon' problem I'm having, so I would assume it's something related to my specific Torque. I called a Sprint friend of mine and they're going to reflash it next week when I have time.

Anywho, I decided to try previous versions of SCP to see where it brakes, and it's @ v4.18- it goes to unknown. V4.19 says Chameleon. I'm now using old v4.17 because it shows Sprint.

I've improved the PLMN code along the way.. 4.17 was probably the last version that used a (usually) less reliable source for the PLMN that is actually the only one reporting the correct value for your situation. 4.18 started using a different value, and 4.19 included the 310-000 fix.

It does seem to be some sort of provisioning issue, especially if others with the same phone aren't having that problem. Something must not have flashed all the way through. I believe I recall reading somewhere on here that "Chameleon" is what many Android devices report before they are activated for the first time.

-Mike

• Like 2

I've improved the PLMN code along the way.. 4.17 was probably the last version that used a (usually) less reliable source for the PLMN that is actually the only one reporting the correct value for your situation. 4.18 started using a different value, and 4.19 included the 310-000 fix.

It does seem to be some sort of provisioning issue, especially if others with the same phone aren't having that problem. Something must not have flashed all the way through. I believe I recall reading somewhere on here that "Chameleon" is what many Android devices report before they are activated for the first time.

-Mike

Would any part of the PLMN request require SU or root access? I'm still convinced that I have a bad firmware flash from Sprint but just trying to eliminate possibilities.