SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

It appears as though running the Refresh Customization app that Samsung released for the S4T has solved the 3100 error (at least on my phone). Here's the link to the app for those who haven't seen it yet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.refreshDevice&hl=en

I have to give credit to cooljb for posting the info in the S4T section. I ran both option 1 & 2 so I'm not sure which one fixed the issue but the provider information is now being reported.

Mike, I just sent you a diagnostic report to confirm.

• Like 2

Mike, I noticed something that I think is related to the null values being reported in the database. Every now and then when I hand off to the next site, I will get this: 

S95SeoG.png

The GCI and TAC data are missing. It will stay like this for 2-5 seconds before the rest of the data populates. I noticed that when I have null values in the DB the PCI is the only value reported.

7X4DhcQ.png

Not sure what would be causing the delay but I thought I'd share my observation. Has anybody else with the null values problem noticed this as well?

• Like 1

Mike, I noticed something that I think is related to the null values being reported in the database. Every now and then when I hand off to the next site, I will get this: 

The GCI and TAC data are missing. It will stay like this for 2-5 seconds before the rest of the data populates. I noticed that when I have null values in the DB the PCI is the only value reported.

Not sure what would be causing the delay but I thought I'd share my observation. Has anybody else with the null values problem noticed this as well?

Yes, I have noticed that occasionally when changing sectors, or bands, something will hang for a moment and only the PCI information will be displayed. Within moments, the GCI data populated, but it does create a "null" entry. 

I get that quite a bit now on my N5.  I would say I am at a point where 90% of my "new" log entries are null values with only the PCI being populated since I have logged pretty much every site and sector that I frequently use. 

It appears as though running the Refresh Customization app that Samsung released for the S4T has solved the 3100 error (at least on my phone). Here's the link to the app for those who haven't seen it yet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.refreshDevice&hl=en

I have to give credit to cooljb for posting the info in the S4T section. I ran both option 1 & 2 so I'm not sure which one fixed the issue but the provider information is now being reported.

Mike, I just sent you a diagnostic report to confirm.

That is excellent! @JossMan recently sent me a PM about that resolving the same issue on his S3; I didn't get a chance to look into it until tonight, and then saw you had already posted about it here. I saw your report, it looks like the issue is at least partially fixed -- the real test will be if it actually changes from 310-120 if you connect to Band 41.

It's too bad that users need to figure out that they need to run a separate app to resolve the issue, but at least there is a fix available. I posted the link on the "Known Issues" section of the SignalCheck website, hopefully it works well for everyone!  :tu:

-Mike

That is excellent! @JossMan recently sent me a PM about that resolving the same issue on his S3; I didn't get a chance to look into it until tonight, and then saw you had already posted about it here. I saw your report, it looks like the issue is at least partially fixed -- the real test will be if it actually changes from 310-120 if you connect to Band 41.

It's too bad that users need to figure out that they need to run a separate app to resolve the issue, but at least there is a fix available. I posted the link on the "Known Issues" section of the SignalCheck website, hopefully it works well for everyone! :tu:

-Mike

Unfortunately, no band 41 around me to test. I only have 25 and 26 here so far.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

How about a buzzer for when you go into no telephone service because of eCSFB issues.

Sure, I will add it to the wish list.. I also intend to add configurable alerts for complete loss of signal, B26, and B41. I'm gutting the Alerts routines behind the scenes to make it more efficient and also much easier for me to add new ones; right now it is a nightmare of sloppy code for the 1X 800 and LTE alerts. Learning as I go along!

-Mike

• Like 5

Yes, I have noticed that occasionally when changing sectors, or bands, something will hang for a moment and only the PCI information will be displayed. Within moments, the GCI data populated, but it does create a "null" entry. 

I get that quite a bit now on my N5.  I would say I am at a point where 90% of my "new" log entries are null values with only the PCI being populated since I have logged pretty much every site and sector that I frequently use. 

Ahhhh thank you guys! I see that on the display sometimes; I thought I made sure the Logger would skip those instances, but that could certainly be a big cause of the bogus entries. That's one of the major bugs I'm working on right now for the next update, so I appreciate the info!

-Mike

• Like 4

So far SCP seems to work fine after installing 4.4.4. The only thing I can see is when accessing the debug/engineering screens through the app it says they may not be available, just like it did on 4.4.3.

So far SCP seems to work fine after installing 4.4.4. The only thing I can see is when accessing the debug/engineering screens through the app it says they may not be available, just like it did on 4.4.3.

I have yet to update my N5 to 4.4.3 and I didn't even know 4.4.4 was already being pushed out until I saw your post, but I think this is the first I have heard about the shortcuts throwing an error message. Is your N5 rooted? If you could try the shortcuts that are showing the error and then immediately send me a report (About > Send Diagnostics), that might show me enough information to get a head start on debugging it. Please note on the report why you're sending it so I know what I'm looking for.

-Mike

I have yet to update my N5 to 4.4.3 and I didn't even know 4.4.4 was already being pushed out until I saw your post, but I think this is the first I have heard about the shortcuts throwing an error message. Is your N5 rooted? If you could try the shortcuts that are showing the error and then immediately send me a report (About > Send Diagnostics), that might show me enough information to get a head start on debugging it. Please note on the report why you're sending it so I know what I'm looking for.

-Mike

I am rooted. The shortcuts work just fine, it just flashes the message quickly then loads up debug. I figured it was because it was a newer android version that wasn't "officially" supported yet. I'll send in the report though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sent in the report. To be clear, the app short cuts work fine. It just flashes a message that they may not be available on this device right before loading up the engineering screens.

Mine has also started doing this since the 4.4.3 update.

Mike, this is probably addressed but on the S5 when I go into B26, I don't have a signal strength. 

You shouldn't have any issues with the S5.. does all of the LTE information disappear? Feel free to e-mail or post a screen shot. Please send me a diagnostic report while you are experiencing the issue (About > Send Diagnostics), be sure to include your e-mail and a description of the problem so I know what to look for.

-Mike

Mike, Any idea why my GS5 Signal Check LTE log would get "stuck" on a "last_device_latitude" and "_longitude"?  For example, I was driving yesterday, trying to find B26, B41, and B25-2nd-Carrier (and found all 3), but in many cases the lat/long would report the same values repeatedly.  The worst case I noticed was a series of 15 log entries over a 14 minute period with the exact same location.  I know that I was driving the entire time, probably covering about 10-12 miles.  The app logged 15 GCI's at 10 different sites during that time, which was wonderful, except that I can't determine where I was when I saw them.

[The good news for Chicago people is that in a ~105 mile drive between the Northwest Suburbs and Valparaiso, IN, Signal Check logged 41 B25C2, B26, & B41 GCI's, plus 97 original G-Block B25 GCI's - complete and continuous LTE coverage for the entire trip.]

• Like 1

Mike, Any idea why my GS5 Signal Check LTE log would get "stuck" on a "last_device_latitude" and "_longitude"? For example, I was driving yesterday, trying to find B26, B41, and B25-2nd-Carrier (and found all 3), but in many cases the lat/long would report the same values repeatedly. The worst case I noticed was a series of 15 log entries over a 14 minute period with the exact same location.

Did you have the Location Services option enabled in the app? Did it ever "unstick" itself or did it last for the remainder of your trip? Do you usually leave the lat/long display on your screen, and if so, was it updating as you moved?

I don't think it will record any lat/long values if you have the in-app Location Service turned off, it should just leave those columns blank.

If you had it on, then your device's location service must have had a hiccup. Were you using any location-intensive apps (Google Maps, Waze, Gas Buddy, etc) during that time, either before or after the log entries got stuck?

-Mike

Did you have the Location Services option enabled in the app? Did it ever "unstick" itself or did it last for the remainder of your trip? Do you usually leave the lat/long display on your screen, and if so, was it updating as you moved?

I don't think it will record any lat/long values if you have the in-app Location Service turned off, it should just leave those columns blank.

If you had it on, then your device's location service must have had a hiccup. Were you using any location-intensive apps (Google Maps, Waze, Gas Buddy, etc) during that time, either before or after the log entries got stuck?

-Mike

You ask a lotta questions! 1. Location services was on the whole time (as was GPS). 2. It "stuck" and "unstuck" multiple times. PM me an email address and I will send you the log. 3. I did not have the lat/long display on in SCP (because I hadn't read the release notes - it's on now!). 4. I used another location - finding app (Google maps) only briefly when my garmin couldn't find an address, maybe 8 miles out of about 150). Log entries appear complete, no nulls, and the gci's are numerous and interesting, all the sprint LTE technologies show up.

[An aside: the B41 plmn is showing up as 310120, which for Chicago area Clear sites should be 310378 or something like that. I am picking nits with that one.]

You ask a lotta questions! 1. Location services was on the whole time (as was GPS). 2. It "stuck" and "unstuck" multiple times. PM me an email address and I will send you the log. 3. I did not have the lat/long display on in SCP (because I hadn't read the release notes - it's on now!). 4. I used another location - finding app (Google maps) only briefly when my garmin couldn't find an address, maybe 8 miles out of about 150). Log entries appear complete, no nulls, and the gci's are numerous and interesting, all the sprint LTE technologies show up.

[An aside: the B41 plmn is showing up as 310120, which for Chicago area Clear sites should be 310378 or something like that. I am picking nits with that one.]

Hey, you want answers, I need information! You can always e-mail support [at] bluelinepc [dot] com. It doesn't sound like SignalCheck or Google Maps had anything to do with the locations not changing. Now that you're keeping an eye on the lat/long, let me know if you happen to see any oddities with it (freezing, disappearing, etc.). If you disable the location service within the app, that display will automatically disappear -- but if it's enabled, you should always see the coordinates.

Sounds like there wasn't anything wrong on your end, most likely the Google Play Location Services on your phone decided to go to sleep for some reason. I've seen this a few rare times; SignalCheck doesn't actually do any of the location stuff itself, it uses Play Services. A reboot always clears it up. It's similar to the location bug that causes the geocoding service to shut down and stop translating BSL addresses.. it's a known Android issue. I'll take a look at your logs but I'm not sure if there will be anything in there that pinpoints the issue.

EDIT: Forgot about your B41 issue. That's Samsung's fault; you'll probably always see 310120 instead of the correct 311870/311490 because their enginerrs can't seem to get that fixed. Try installing Sasmsung's Refresh app fix and see if it resolves it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.refreshDevice

-Mike