SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

If you're getting an alert, it means your device connected to LTE when it wasn't already -- even if the disconnection from LTE was brief, perhaps even faster than the screen could update. I was trying to implement something that prevented false alerts for brief disconnects but it failed miserably, so the alerts are still very "dumb" for now until I can teach myself a better way to do it.

-Mike

Thanks for this info.  That's probably what my phone is doing.

Question, why would the BaseStation Location (BSL) change in the SignalCheck Pro app?  A couple of Sprint sites that I connect to while home have changed addresses.  Original locations on a couple sites were "117 Volunteer Parkway, Bristol and 701-799 Fairview St, Bristol."  Now the one for Volunteer Parkway, Bristol says "2-60 Bob Morrison Blvd, Bristol" and the other is reporting "601-699 Maple St.  Bristol."  I few others I know that have SCP are showing the same behavior and are showing the BSL changes.  Odd things have been going on the last few days with my service.  

Question, why would the BaseStation Location (BSL) change in the SignalCheck Pro app? A couple of Sprint sites that I connect to while home have changed addresses.

If the BSL for a site you know you've connected to in the past has changed, and you didn't clear your BSL cache, then Sprint has changed the coordinates that site is broadcasting. The app only caches coordinate/address pairs, so if a site's location ever changes, the app displays the new address immediately. Sites around here broadcast offset BSLs, and during the upgrade process, many of the addresses changed slightly.

So.. it's a good thing--they are out there working!

-Mike

• Like 1

If the BSL for a site you know you've connected to in the past has changed, and you didn't clear your BSL cache, then Sprint has changed the coordinates that site is broadcasting. The app only caches coordinate/address pairs, so if a site's location ever changes, the app displays the new address immediately. Sites around here broadcast offset BSLs, and during the upgrade process, many of the addresses changed slightly.

-Mike

Like Mike said, or, you are connecting to different towers entirely. As work goes on, Towers may come on and offline sporadically, giving you new locations because it's literally a different tower. If your original ones return, thats likely the case. I saw it a lot.

How does the rest of the information stack up? Sector information change at all?

Sent from my HTC M8

-Mike

Yippie, thats what I figured I haven't cleared the cache, they changed today around 2 PM.  Four sites that sit in the middle of town are now showing new BSLs.  Its the same way here Mike, they offset the location by about 1/2 mile here, I think they are about cluster launch LTE to the rest of the sites here in town.   

• Like 1

Like Mike said, or, you are connecting to different towers entirely. As work goes on, Towers may come on and offline sporadically, giving you new locations because it's literally a different tower. If your original ones return, thats likely the case. I saw it a lot.

How does the rest of the information stack up? Sector information change at all?

Sent from my HTC M8

Basestation IDs (BID) haven't changed, the only thing that has changed is the offset addresses.  Also 3G signals have dropped significantly in the last few days as well.  

Basestation IDs (BID) haven't changed, the only thing that has changed is the offset addresses. Also 3G signals have dropped significantly in the last few days as well.

Cool news then. I never saw any address change in my neck of the woods. How do the maps look in your area? Are they still not accepted, or not fully accepted (like 3g only or 4g only etc)

Sent from my HTC M8

Cool news then. I never saw any address change in my neck of the woods. How do the maps look in your area? Are they still not accepted, or not fully accepted (like 3g only or 4g only etc)

Sent from my HTC M8

2 sites are 3G completed, 1 is/was legacy, and the last is 3G/4G accepted but lacking LTE integration.  And its these four sites that are showing new BSL addresses.  

2 sites are 3G completed, 1 is/was legacy, and the last is 3G/4G accepted but lacking LTE integration. And its these four sites that are showing new BSL addresses.

Like Mike said, sounds like great news, work is probably happening.

Sent from my HTC M8

• Like 1

I have a feature suggestion, Mike: maybe a "driving" feature for us folks who drive around staring at SCP. Maybe something where only the network mode and gci are enlarged for easy, safer mobile viewing.

I have a feature suggestion, Mike: maybe a "driving" feature for us folks who drive around staring at SCP. Maybe something where only the network mode and gci are enlarged for easy, safer mobile viewing.

It's on the list! Because I have had a limited amount of time to work on the app over the past few months, the priority has been fixing critical bugs instead of adding new goodies (the logging was added because it helped me track down some bugs). But this is definitely something that has been asked for (and I want myself), so hopefully I can spend some time on it soon. Right now I'm trying to get the B26/B41 features working properly, and eliminate a few more freezes/crashes that continue to taunt me.

For those who don't know, the website has a lot of useful information, including all the suggestions I intend to add at some point.. it is the first location I update when there is any new information:

SignalCheck Help / FAQ  |  Change Log  |  To-Do List  |  Known Issues

-Mike

• Like 2

In my area, the addresses changed a couple of months after the sites were accepted (all were 3G and/or 3G/4G from the beginning). Oddly, a couple of weeks ago--well over a year after most sites around here had been 3G/4G/800 accepted and broadcasting--most (if not all) of the base station IDs changed. I thought it might be the final NV 1.0 step for my area, but the last couple of sites that are still awaiting 4G acceptance changed as well.

-Mike

• Like 1

I grabbed some screenshots of the new BSL that changed yesterday afternoon.  Today my phone has been sitting on 1x RTT and flip flopping back and forth to eHRPD which started around 9 A.M.  BID 53282 use to be 701-799 Fairview St. Bristol, and BID 53377 use to be 117 Volunteer Parkway, Bristol. 

Also found a site a few days ago that is now broadcasting 800 out towards South Holston Lake, I must say its hard to hide from 800 once its latches on to it, this was on my stock PRL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, you need to check out several posts in the Chicago market thread.  In a nutshell, SignalCheck band 26 detection or EARFCN conversion can be out of whack.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1084-network-visionlte-chicago-market/?p=318697

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1084-network-visionlte-chicago-market/?p=318819

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1084-network-visionlte-chicago-market/?p=318820

AJ

• Like 1

Mike, you need to check out several posts in the Chicago market thread. In a nutshell, SignalCheck band 26 detection or EARFCN conversion can be out of whack.

Thanks for the heads up! You nailed the problem, but the real issue is I forgot to update SignalCheck Lite -- it's still a few versions behind. The bug that popped up in the Chicago thread has been fixed in the latest version.

Sorry folks! I will have Lite brought up to speed and released by the middle of the week.

-Mike

• Like 1

There is a simpler solution: Everyone who has Signal Check Lite: Buy a copy of Signal Check Pro and give Mike the support he deserves!!

• Like 19

There is a simpler solution: Everyone who has Signal Check Lite: Buy a copy of Signal Check Pro and give Mike the support he deserves!!

Get Google rewards and due a couple surveys, then support Mike

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hey Mike, easy question for ya, where exactly do I find the exported logs on my Nexus 5? I do not notice them in muh download app, and going from the Photon to the nexus, I noticed no 'file' shortcut like ICS used to put all my randoms in. Appreciate the help and thank you in advance.

Hey Mike, easy question for ya, where exactly do I find the exported logs on my Nexus 5? I do not notice them in muh download app, and going from the Photon to the nexus, I noticed no 'file' shortcut like ICS used to put all my randoms in. Appreciate the help and thank you in advance.

Once they're exported from within the app, you'll find a folder called "signalcheck" on your local storage. There will be two files within that folder.

• Like 1

Once they're exported from within the app, you'll find a folder called "signalcheck" on your local storage. There will be two files within that folder.

Thanks for the help Vince, any idea how I locate the local storage?

Thanks for the help Vince, any idea how I locate the local storage?

Just download "file manager" from the play store. Most phones also come with some variant of a file manager, though. If not, just download one.

My battery has been draining quickly and under battery stats, it says SignalCheck Pro is the cause @ 48% drain. Any idea what happened? The only difference is now my phone is on 4.4.2. Same locations and apps.

anaqu5ez.jpg