SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Hey Mike, your app is working good on the Galaxy Tab 3 where I discovered myself picking up 1X800 at Dulles Airport yesterday with it.

Sent from my SPH-I800 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

EDIT: Forgot about your B41 issue. That's Samsung's fault; you'll probably always see 310120 instead of the correct 311870/311490 because their enginerrs can't seem to get that fixed. Try installing Sasmsung's Refresh app fix and see if it resolves it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.refreshDevice

-Mike

Beware of that refresh app, i used it to get the PLMN reporting properly, but it also reset all my device settings, screens, icons, etc.

Hey mike jeep you might want to try L, now this is a very early observation but when i tried to use your app with L soon as i launch the app L reboots. Im gonna try to grab a log for you. But i had to uninstall it just to use L. This is just a early L observation. 

Hey mike jeep you might want to try L, now this is a very early observation but when i tried to use your app with L soon as i launch the app L reboots. Im gonna try to grab a log for you. But i had to uninstall it just to use L. This is just a early L observation. 

Do you have a Nexus 5?

Thank you David, I just saw another e-mail from earlier today reporting that as well. It's not my fault, contact Google and tell them to fix whatever they broke!  :P

I'm traveling quite a bit until after the 4th (I'm actually on an airplane 30,000 feet over Wisconsin at the moment.. yay for inflight Wi-Fi), but I will look into it as soon as I can. I have not received any automated crash reports, so it might be tricky to troubleshoot until I get a chance to put L on my N5.

If anyone sees anything that might be useful or captures a logcat that shows what is going on, please feel free to pass it along to me. In the meantime, I'll try to make it known:

** SignalCheck is not compatible with Android L yet! **

-Mike

I'm traveling quite a bit until after the 4th (I'm actually on an airplane 30,000 feet over Wisconsin at the moment.. yay for inflight Wi-Fi), but I will look into it as soon as I can. I have not received any automated crash reports, so it might be tricky to troubleshoot until I get a chance to put L on my N5.

Do you not know that you should never write "airplane" and "crash" in the same paragraph?  Or are you that guy who, as joke, says "bomb" in the airport?

AJ

• Like 2

Thank you David, I just saw another e-mail from earlier today reporting that as well. It's not my fault, contact Google and tell them to fix whatever they broke!  :P

If anyone sees anything that might be useful or captures a logcat that shows what is going on, please feel free to pass it along to me. In the meantime, I'll try to make it known:

** SignalCheck is not compatible with Android L yet! **

-Mike

I've seen a few times right before SignalCheck Pro reboots on startup on L, it says "Waiting for Update..." in a dialog box. 

I did find an exception right before the reboot:

E/AndroidRuntime(25785): FATAL EXCEPTION: main

E/AndroidRuntime(25785): Process: com.android.omadm.service, PID: 25785
E/AndroidRuntime(25785): java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'int com.android.omadm.service.DMHttpConnector.closeSession()' on a null object reference
E/AndroidRuntime(  779): *** FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS: main
E/AndroidRuntime(  779): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: updateNotification key not found: 0|com.blueline.signalcheck|2131296258|null|10082
F/libc    (18001): Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -6 in tid 18038 (RenderThread)

I've seen a few times right before SignalCheck Pro reboots on startup on L, it says "Waiting for Update..." in a dialog box.

I did find an exception right before the reboot...

Thanks.. that logcat and messages I've received from others points to an issue with notifications. This could be the alerts and/or the status bar icons. If you can get all that disabled, the app may work for you.

-Mike

So over the past 36ish hours my n5 has been showing I'm on 3g, according to the icon and engineering screens. Yet signalcheck hasn't shown I am according to the status bar icon or the actual app itself. I have noticed that when I connect to 1x800 it'll show I'm connected to 3g but while on 1xrtt it won't. Is this signalcheck being odd or something else? Also the only new thing that has been installed on my phone was the 4.4.4 OTA whenever that was rolling out. Here an example image of what I mean.edehapyq.jpg

Thanks.. that logcat and messages I've received from others points to an issue with notifications. This could be the alerts and/or the status bar icons. If you can get all that disabled, the app may work for you.

-Mike

Yea but soon as I start the app it reboots. No way I can get in the app and turn off the Notifications.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yea but soon as I start the app it reboots. No way I can get in the app and turn off the Notifications.

Go into settings, and into apps. Click on SCP and uncheck disable notifications. Problem fixed. I've tried other apps with stuff in the notification bar and they work. Do note the system shortcuts like debug screen may not work. Notification bar is causing issues .
  • Like 2

Go into settings, and into apps. Click on SCP and uncheck disable notifications. Problem fixed. I've tried other apps with stuff in the notification bar and they work. Do note the system shortcuts like debug screen may not work. Notification bar is causing issues .

That did it. Also I was able to go into the app and turn off the alert that I think was killing the app.

7etu9epy.jpg

• Like 2

So over the past 36ish hours my n5 has been showing I'm on 3g, according to the icon and engineering screens. Yet signalcheck hasn't shown I am according to the status bar icon or the actual app itself. I have noticed that when I connect to 1x800 it'll show I'm connected to 3g but while on 1xrtt it won't. Is this signalcheck being odd or something else? Also the only new thing that has been installed on my phone was the 4.4.4 OTA whenever that was rolling out. Here an example image of what I mean.edehapyq.jpg

Are you trying to say, you are connected to evdo and signal check isn't displaying it? Because your signal check screenshot shows the same 3G connection that your phone's status bar is reporting. 1X is 3G.

Edit....Oh damn if I kill the app then open it back up it reboots the phone again when I start it up again. So close...It kills right at the point it says "now updating"

Are you trying to say, you are connected to evdo and signal check isn't displaying it? Because your signal check screenshot shows the same 3G connection that your phone's status bar is reporting. 1X is 3G.

Technically you're correct, except you're not. It shows 3g by the signal bars when you're connected to evdo or Ehrpd. Which I am according to engineering screens. It shows 1x when you're connected to 1x for data, which I wasn't. Signalcheck has just recently stopped reporting my evdo or Ehrpd connection when I'm connected to 1xrtt, when I'm connected to 1x800 it shows fine.

Edit....Oh damn if I kill the app then open it back up it reboots the phone again when I start it up again. So close...It kills right at the point it says "now updating"

Uninstall scp, reinstall, but before opening do the steps in the settings and see if that works. I have had no issues with it since. Also just as a safety measure if it opens uncheck start on startup to avoid any boot looping.

Here is it open:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujwws4ip769ihsn/Screenshot_2014-06-29-20-49-44.png

Technically you're correct, except you're not. It shows 3g by the signal bars when you're connected to evdo or Ehrpd. Which I am according to engineering screens. It shows 1x when you're connected to 1x for data, which I wasn't. Signalcheck has just recently stopped reporting my evdo or Ehrpd connection when I'm connected to 1xrtt, when I'm connected to 1x800 it shows fine.

1x is displayed as 3g on stock ROMs. Some ROMs (PA for example) have reverted the change that makes 1x display as 3g.

1x is displayed as 3g on stock ROMs. Some ROMs (PA for example) have reverted the change that makes 1x display as 3g.

Mine is reverted to show properly, that's why its confusing. Especially with the engineering screens confirming that I'm connected to evdo, and Signalcheck just isn't showing it.

Mine is reverted to show properly, that's why its confusing. Especially with the engineering screens confirming that I'm connected to evdo, and Signalcheck just isn't showing it.

Try sending me a report.. About > Send Diagnostics, make sure you include your username. Something fishy must be going on.

-Mike

• Like 1

I have seen this during evdo scans. It may be flipping between channels. Or it could just be SCP not reflecting the switching and is delayed. Next time it does so run a speed test, flip to the engineering screen and screenshot the evdo screen, and screen shot the speed test once it completes. Speeds/pings will reflect evdo or 1x. And the evdo screenshot will reflect proof if it just a scan. As well as the status bar will show if its 1x or evdo connection during the data stream.

Try sending me a report.. About > Send Diagnostics, make sure you include your username. Something fishy must be going on.

-Mike

I think I got it fixed. I turned off the duplicate 1x icon and its back to normal now. I'm going to see if I can replicate it to send a report, but so far everything is normal again.

I think I got it fixed. I turned off the duplicate 1x icon and its back to normal now. I'm going to see if I can replicate it to send a report, but so far everything is normal again.

Hmm that shouldn't affect EV-DO signal display.. try turning that back on and see if its messed up again. Those two things shouldn't have anything to do with each other.

-Mike