SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Just got the update:

"Resolved issue with Sprint users in Shentel and former US Cellular service areas seeing false indications of LTE band 26."

What did that change? Does that eliminate gci 3-4-5 showing up as band 26?

Sent from my Nexus 5

"Resolved issue with Sprint users in Shentel and former US Cellular service areas seeing false indications of LTE band 26."

What did that change? Does that eliminate gci 3-4-5 showing up as band 26?

Yes. The LTE routines will now only indicate B26 if one of the previously confirmed band 26 GCI suffixes is present.

-Mike

That was a quick update. Now I can see my dBm levels while I'm the sole person using evdo only mode lol. Thanks Mike!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think I figured out the GCI here. It's for the second carrier. I was only getting 09 0A 0B on high capacity sites where they have the second carrier. On the single carrier sites it's only 01 02 03. You can watch the GCI change with the channel changing.

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

• Like 1

Mike, I've been able to grab the TAC on LTE sites with the Galaxy S3, now if we can figure out a way to get SignalCheck Pro to spit this out.

I've sent you a PM with some other things relevant to the Galaxy S3 if your interested.   

I think I figured out the GCI here. It's for the second carrier. I was only getting 09 0A 0B on high capacity sites where they have the second carrier. On the single carrier sites it's only 01 02 03. You can watch the GCI change with the channel changing.

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

I think you are correct. It does seem as though the odd ball GCI numbers are on the higher capacity sites around me too.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Mike - (or anyone that can answer this) How can I go about editing the logging database?  I have done a little bit of work in a premier thread for my market where we have pretty much every GCI and corresponding notes for each site.  I would like to import that data into the lte-sites table in the SignalCheck database. 

Is that going to be possible?  I think I read somewhere that the database is located in the data/data/ folder...  Therefore, do I need root access?  All I need to know for sure is where the database is located and if I need root access.  I'm a software/web developer myself, so once I get my hands on the database I can certainly get the information inserted into it.  (actually took a class a few years back on Android development, but it certainly isn't my cup of tea.  I have a lot of respect for the work you do.)

Mike - (or anyone that can answer this) How can I go about editing the logging database? I have done a little bit of work in a premier thread for my market where we have pretty much every GCI and corresponding notes for each site. I would like to import that data into the lte-sites table in the SignalCheck database.

Is that going to be possible? I think I read somewhere that the database is located in the data/data/ folder... Therefore, do I need root access? All I need to know for sure is where the database is located and if I need root access. I'm a software/web developer myself, so once I get my hands on the database I can certainly get the information inserted into it. (actually took a class a few years back on Android development, but it certainly isn't my cup of tea. I have a lot of respect for the work you do.)

Not sure if you need root to get it. It's just sqllite so you can do all sorts of imports mash ups or whatever. Pretty easy to import but I am an ETL/DBA person.

Not sure if you need root to get it. It's just sqllite so you can do all sorts of imports mash ups or whatever. Pretty easy to import but I am an ETL/DBA person.

Yeah I work with databases all the times as a developer.  Mostly Oracle, but if I can just find the .db file then I'd be fine. 

Yeah I work with databases all the times as a developer. Mostly Oracle, but if I can just find the .db file then I'd be fine.

Copy the /data/data/com.blueline.signalcheck/databases/signalcheck_log.db file from one phone to the other

Won't be long....

insert into sites_lte

select null,null, null, null, null, null, null, null, user_note,null,import1.plmn as plmn,substr(gci,1,6)||sectornum AS gci,null,null,null

from sectornum1

inner join import1 on sectornum1.plmn = import1.plmn

where gci <> ''

order by import1.gci

5esmBMw.jpg

5U0f5C2.jpg

Here are two posts that will help.

Hi, Mike!

For some reason, the logging feature does not work for me.  It only creates zero byte data files.  Unfortunately, I jumped ship awhile back and am now on Verizon which as we know does not transmit location info.  But it would be nice to have a log of BSID's or at least something...

I did notice that the app now updates regularly without getting "stuck" like it did in the past.

Yeah I work with databases all the times as a developer. Mostly Oracle, but if I can just find the .db file then I'd be fine.

I can't see this without root access, so they can't be moved from phone to phone easily. Perhaps when Mike has time, he can make an import / export database function into the app itself, which would be the cleanest method. Or keep the sqlite database on the user storage so it's accessible without root.

Okay, so what I did was pull the .db file locally onto my PC and then made the changes I desired.  However, when I try to send (paste) the file back into the correct folder, I get a permissions error saying it cannot proceed with the operation. 

I am very new to doing anything like this with my phone.  Do you have any suggestions? 

B41 display works fine on my g2. Works on both Clearwire and nv 2.0 8t8r equipment in Chicago.

y4a7uqeh.jpg

mavahagy.jpg

Edit: it actually occasionally stops showing B41 and the plmn id in debug shows 311870 which I believe is the correct number.

B41 display works fine on my g2. Works on both Clearwire and nv 2.0 8t8r equipment in Chicago.

y4a7uqeh.jpg

mavahagy.jpg

Edit: it actually occasionally stops showing B41 and the plmn id in debug shows 311870 which I believe is the correct number.

How did you get the band number to display like that on the status bar pulldown? I didn't see that at all today when I was on B26.

How did you get the band number to display like that on the status bar pulldown? I didn't see that at all today when I was on B26.

I think it just shows up automatically

agarebem.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I think it just shows up automatically

agarebem.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

It does just show up.

Are you stock, or on a custom ROM? Next time you connect to LTE and don't see information, go to About > Send Diagnostics; it will send me some useful information. There is a new app update that went out overnight that does include some fixes for HTC LTE functions, so that might resolve it also.

-Mike

I have the stock firmware.  I still am not able to see the GCI with yesterday's update.  I forgot to send the report when I was over there yesterday (I sent one last week though).  I'll send another one later today.  Also, I'll try some other towers when I go down to Denver this weekend.

Okay, so what I did was pull the .db file locally onto my PC and then made the changes I desired. However, when I try to send (paste) the file back into the correct folder, I get a permissions error saying it cannot proceed with the operation.

I am very new to doing anything like this with my phone. Do you have any suggestions?

Not sure I just copied it to my storage root folder from my PC then on my phone I copied it to the right folder.

Band 41 still does not show

Me too. Still not showing band 41 on my new s5 in nyc

it actually occasionally stops showing B41 and the plmn id in debug shows 311870 which I believe is the correct number.

Hmm it doesn't show on my S5 which LTE band I'm on :/

Could each of you guys send a diagnostic report from within the app (About > Send Diagnostics) next time you believe you are on B26 or B41 and the app doesn't show it? Please be sure to include your username in the report and mention why you are sending it.

Thanks,

-Mike

• Like 2

Mike, I've been able to grab the TAC on LTE sites with the Galaxy S3, now if we can figure out a way to get SignalCheck Pro to spit this out.

Unfortunately, third-party apps don't have access to the data that the Enginerring screens do.. believe me, I've tried. A lot. :(

For some reason, the logging feature does not work for me.  It only creates zero byte data files.  Unfortunately, I jumped ship awhile back and am now on Verizon which as we know does not transmit location info.  But it would be nice to have a log of BSID's or at least something...

I did notice that the app now updates regularly without getting "stuck" like it did in the past.

You shouldn't need the BSL to save log entries.. can you email me any logcat errors or send me a diagnostic report? It should show me whatever error messages might be getting generated behind the scenes. Glad the updates fixed the instability issues for you!

I can't see this without root access, so they can't be moved from phone to phone easily. Perhaps when Mike has time, he can make an import / export database function into the app itself, which would be the cleanest method. Or keep the sqlite database on the user storage so it's accessible without root.

I plan to add a feature to import/export the database file in the very near future. It does appear that you need to be rooted to have full access to the databases folder.

Okay, so what I did was pull the .db file locally onto my PC and then made the changes I desired.  However, when I try to send (paste) the file back into the correct folder, I get a permissions error saying it cannot proceed with the operation.

Did you completely exit SignalCheck before trying to copy it over? The app may have the file locked. Otherwise, you may need root access even if you are doing it from a computer. As I mentioned above, I plan to add more import/export options very soon.

-Mike

Did you completely exit SignalCheck before trying to copy it over? The app may have the file locked. Otherwise, you may need root access even if you are doing it from a computer. As I mentioned above, I plan to add more import/export options very soon.

-Mike

Oops...  Silly me.  I forgot to close out of the program (it is something I never do).  I'm going to give it a shot again here in a few minutes.  I did end up rooting my phone so I already pulled the .db file and made the changes I need.  I'm sure it will overwrite the file with the program not running.  Amateur mistake.  :lol:

Thanks!

• Like 1