SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Not sure if it's on your to-do list for the next release, but how about an option or ability to permanently remove those null records from my database?  I have something like 2,000 of them in my database and I'd rather not have them at all. :)

Trip, what fields are null? Did the one-time cleanup in the last version not tackle a lot of it?

Are you rooted? I apologize if you did this already and it got buried among other things, but if you have access to your raw signalcheck_log.db file, I could clean it up and send it back to you. If you don't have access to the actual database file, shoot me an export of it so I can take a look.

-Mike

The GCI.  No, I didn't have invalid records and was never prompted.  My LTE is stuck at 310120, whereas I think you said that fix was for cases where it would stick on 311870. 

Sent my export your way. 

- Trip

• Like 1

A little birdie told me (thanks, @gobias!) that today's update to SuperSU seems to get the Reset Mobile Connection feature within SignalCheck working on Lollipop again. If others could give it a shot and report back, I'd appreciate it! Still holding off on upgrading my own device to 5.0 until some other kinks get worked out.

-Mike

• Like 4

A little birdie told me (thanks, @gobias!) that today's update to SuperSU seems to get the Reset Mobile Connection feature within SignalCheck working on Lollipop again. If others could give it a shot and report back, I'd appreciate it! Still holding off on upgrading my own device to 5.0 until some other kinks get worked out.

-Mike

Just updated su and binary, worked like a charm.

• Like 2

Hey Mike, another quick thing I noticed. When trying to write site notes I noticed I can't use "swype" or suggestions when I use SwiftKey. Any reason behind this. Just would be easier to write notes on the go.

That might be something related to SwiftKey and/or your ROM.. SignalCheck just displays a standard Android text box, and the OS handles it accordingly. I know I can use swype on the factory Google keyboard on my N5 without any trouble, but I do see what you mean about no suggestions popping up. I will see if there is something I can tweak.

Auto correct and suggestions are completely absent while attempting to add notes on multiple devices using different keyboards. This happened with the last major update. I hope you can bring it back!

Lollipop update: It sounds like most (all?) users are no longer able to use the Reset Connection feature, even though the phone appears to acknowledge the command if you are rooted. I'm aware of the issue and looking into it; the only thing that could help is if you send a diagnostic report shortly after trying the Reset feature, it might capture something in the log that helps lead me in the right direction. But I'm nervous that Google may have completely blocked access to the radio. :(

-Mike

Never had a problem with the Reset feature not working, even before the SuperSU update. Has been working fine since I finally upgraded to L last week. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to comment that this is one of the many reasons that I love Signal Check...

7292f0641f451a37bae06c6d078ff2e8.jpg

As you can see, the stock signal bars were showing very little to almost no signal, whereas Signal Check was showing strong LTE, and I can tell you that when I snapped that screen shot, I was getting Excellent Data speeds!

• Like 1

Just wanted to comment that this is one of the many reasons that I love Signal Check...

As you can see, the stock signal bars were showing very little to almost no signal, whereas Signal Check was showing strong LTE, and I can tell you that when I snapped that screen shot, I was getting Excellent Data speeds!

I don't know why but on my G2 Sprint thinks it's a good idea to display 1 bar for anything lower than -102dBm...when I get to -104 dBm, I have NO bars. xD

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 2

I don't know why but on my G2 Sprint thinks it's a good idea to display 1 bar for anything lower than -102dBm...when I get to -104 dBm, I have NO bars. xD

Sent from my LG-LS980

I picked up an LG Volt though a independent Sprint store on Black Friday, activated it walked out and I get the same experience you have...LG must have high standards.  :P  I stay at 1 to 2 bars if I hover within -102 to -107dBm while on B25.  When it connects to B26 the bars jump once it gets sub -99dBm.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Seems like this is the same on the Note 4. You would think Sprint would lean towards showing higher bars. Maybe it is a Sprint desire?

Has anyone else noticed a PLMN change in there market?  As of last Friday my PLMN went from 310120 to 312530 while on B25 and B26 LTE.  The pictures below are from the same site that just had LTE 800 flipped on sometime last week.  This new PLMN is showing up on every site I connect too whether I am on B25 or B26.  

Before 

After

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed a PLMN change in there market? As of last Friday my PLMN went from 310120 to 312530 while on B25 and B26 LTE. The pictures below are from the same site that just had LTE 800 flipped on sometime last week. This new PLMN is showing up on every site I connect too whether I am on B25 or B26.

Before

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2014-11-30-02-35-37.png

After

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2014-12-01-13-45-47.png

I purchased my son an LG Tribute on Sprint Prepaid and noticed that it has the 312530 ID while my post paid Sprint account has 310120.

Edit- even though the ID's are different the PCI, GCI, and TAC is the same on both devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Any rhyme or reason for so many or how they are used?

From what I have seen..

310-120: Sprint postpaid subscribers

311-490: Virgin Mobile prepaid subscribers and Clearwire sites

311-870: Boost Mobile prepaid subscribers and Clearwire sites

311-880: Not in use?

312-190: Not in use?

312-530: Sprint Prepaid subscribers

316-010: Former Nextel network; not in use?

-Mike

• Like 3

Any rhyme or reason for so many or how they are used?

Sprint uses 310-120 while 311-490 and 311-870 are for the old clear equipment. 316-010 was assigned to Nextel in the old days.

We did get a heads up  a while ago there will be different priorities based on PLMN IDs. 

• Like 2

JossMan figured out his mystery PLMN; he was in fact using a device on a Sprint Prepaid account, which makes sense.

Related to this discussion, I have been tossing around the idea of labeling Boost, Virgin Mobile, and Clearwire connections as such, instead of "Sprint". Thought this might be a bit more accurate, especially for those who are not aware of Sprint's connection with each of those entities. It would also be a clear indicator to those who are confused if they are on Clear or 8T8R sites. Any thoughts from the masses?

-Mike

• Like 8

JossMan figured out his mystery PLMN; he was in fact using a device on a Sprint Prepaid account, which makes sense.

Related to this discussion, I have been tossing around the idea of labeling Boost, Virgin Mobile, and Clearwire connections as such, instead of "Sprint". Thought this might be a bit more accurate, especially for those who are not aware of Sprint's connection with each of those entities. It would also be a clear indicator to those who are confused if they are on Clear or 8T8R sites. Any thoughts from the masses?

-Mike

I think that's a great idea.

• Like 3

-Mike

I agree!

I like the idea!

Yeah I've noticed my phone will display 1/3 signal bar up until 115dBm then no bars. The only way I've seen full bars was with a signal of around 70dBm. Really annoying honestly, the old way was better.

Sent from my Rooted Nexus 5 (Sprint) running Android 5.0 Lollipop

• Like 1

Yeah I've noticed my phone will display 1/3 signal bar up until 115dBm then no bars. The only way I've seen full bars was with a signal of around 70dBm. Really annoying honestly, the old way was better.

I never look at the system signal bars, but based on what everyone is saying, it sounds like they are scaled for RSSI, not RSRP..

-Mike

• Like 2

Sent from my Rooted Nexus 5 (Sprint) running Android 5.0 Lollipop

I've noticed consistently between the N5, G3 and M8 that -85dBm RSRP or better is full bars, < -115 is no bars and >-105 is two. Since lollipop though, all I can tell for sure on the N5 is full and no bars (triangle?).

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Hey Mike,

Great work on the app. I really appreciate your hard work on this. I have been using Signalcheck Pro since very early on and I use it as I travel quite a bit for work.

Recently I have upgraded from the Note 3 to the Note 4 and I am noticing something strange. Every so often SignalCheck will report N/A even though I am connected to LTE (usually band 26). Most of the times I am not even connected to WifI, just to cellular network. I even ran a speedtest and it worked all while SignalCheck showed No connection as in the attached screenshot. I took the screenshot while the speedtest was in progress.

I also used LTE Discovery and that shows the signal strength (similar to the Signal information under Settings/About Device/Status)

Any thoughts on what could be happening? 

Thanks!

post-2884-0-26928100-1417542456_thumb.png

I seem to notice the same thing on my Note 4 but it usually happens to me when switching bands. SCP seems to hang for about 5 seconds, then starts reporting just fine. Not sure if your experience is similar or not.

Sent from my Note 4.