SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

GalaxyGuy,

Yes i noticed that too. However, this was interesting since i had a stable LTE connection for a while (this is in Harrisburg, PA). It seems to be doing it more here in Harrisburg than it was at home in the Boston area. Attached is a screenshot of B41 while at the gas station at Logan airport. 60+ Mbps is not bad :)

post-2884-0-64448600-1417543416_thumb.png

I never look at the system signal bars, but based on what everyone is saying, it sounds like they are scaled for RSSI, not RSRP..

-Mike

Well, I know we don't look at those system bars, but regular customers do and regular customers are seeing 1 or 0 bars in a LOT of places.  Not good when Sprint's trying to convince people their network is improving.  I really, really, really wish they'd just change that so -105 was like 3 bars, -110 2 bars, -115 and lower 1 bar.  Shortly after that, it'll drop out, so that makes more sense.  You have to be right up in a tower to get full bars.  I live like 200 yards from a tower and have like 3 bars in my house......should be full, I'm practically cooking with signal. 

Mike you have any contacts over there you can lean on and convince them to report the RSRP instead of the RSSI? They might listen to a dev ;)

• Like 3

Well, I know we don't look at those system bars, but regular customers do and regular customers are seeing 1 or 0 bars in a LOT of places. Not good when Sprint's trying to convince people their network is improving. I really, really, really wish they'd just change that so -105 was like 3 bars, -110 2 bars, -115 and lower 1 bar. Shortly after that, it'll drop out, so that makes more sense. You have to be right up in a tower to get full bars. I live like 200 yards from a tower and have like 3 bars in my house......should be full, I'm practically cooking with signal.

Mike you have any contacts over there you can lean on and convince them to report the RSRP instead of the RSSI? They might listen to a dev ;)

I'm all for that.

Sent from my Rooted Nexus 5 (Sprint) running Android 5.0 Lollipop

• Like 1

Well, I know we don't look at those system bars, but regular customers do and regular customers are seeing 1 or 0 bars in a LOT of places.  Not good when Sprint's trying to convince people their network is improving.  I really, really, really wish they'd just change that so -105 was like 3 bars, -110 2 bars, -115 and lower 1 bar.  Shortly after that, it'll drop out, so that makes more sense.  You have to be right up in a tower to get full bars.  I live like 200 yards from a tower and have like 3 bars in my house......should be full, I'm practically cooking with signal. 

THIS. My N5 usually shows 1 bar for anything over -100. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

Way to ruin the users perception of the new Sprint network. [emoji14]

Sent from my Rooted Nexus 5 (Sprint) running Android 5.0 Lollipop

Yep, My Galaxy S5 shows only one little tiny blip on the smallest bar when the LTE signal gets to -100.  This is on both band 25 & 26.

One little tiny blip on the signal bars and the LTE runs fine and will continue to run fine at much lower levels.   Yes, I think it is using the wrong scale as a -100 on a voice connection should only show one bar.   To the average user that is not smart enough to know what is happening, it looks like the service is horrible.   This needs to be fixed very very quickly.  It is probably a big contributor to the negative perceptions of the Sprint Network.   If the bars are going to report an incorrect level at all, it needs to error in the opposite direction and look like the signal is better than it actually is.

Also, to get maximum bars, you have to be sitting very close to the cell site.  As soon as you drive away from the site, the bars start to peel off very quickly.  It is rare to see and significant amount of bars for very long. The bars are under reporting the signal strength at any level. This should not ever be allowed to continue. It needs to be fixed right now.

• Like 2

I personally like what I use for a 5 bar LTE signal:

• 5 Bars - Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal
  • 4 Bars - Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal
  • 3 Bars - Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
  • 2 Bars - Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair
  • 1 Bar - Between -113dBm and -118dBm RSRP is poor
  • 0 Bars - Worse than -118dBm RSRP is nothing

Source:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/?p=46043

For a four bar signal strength indicator, I would do it this way:

• 4 Bars - Better than -90dBm RSRP is a strong signal
  • 3 Bars - Between -90dBm and -98dBm is good
  • 2 Bars - Between -99dBm and -108dBm is fair
  • 1 Bar - Between -109dBm and -118dBm RSRP is poor
  • Like 7

Recently I have upgraded from the Note 3 to the Note 4 and I am noticing something strange. Every so often SignalCheck will report N/A even though I am connected to LTE (usually band 26). Most of the times I am not even connected to WifI, just to cellular network. I even ran a speedtest and it worked all while SignalCheck showed No connection as in the attached screenshot. I took the screenshot while the speedtest was in progress.

Next time you see it happening, try to quickly go to About > Send Diagnostics and send me a report so I can see what's going on. It sends a snapshot of live information at that moment so make sure to send it while it's acting up.

Your second screenshot shows you were on WiFi with WiFi Calling active; that is a known bug I am trying to sort out. WiFi Calling messes with everything.

-Mike

• Like 2

Mike,

Yeah I noticed that on wifi calling. I just uploaded that to show off the B41 speed :)  I also have an airrave at home (which is where i took the screenshot of the speedtest). I am trying to see if the calls are better on the airrave or if i should stick to wifi calling at home.

Next time you see it happening, try to quickly go to About > Send Diagnostics and send me a report so I can see what's going on. It sends a snapshot of live information at that moment so make sure to send it while it's acting up.

Your second screenshot shows you were on WiFi with WiFi Calling active; that is a known bug I am trying to sort out. WiFi Calling messes with everything.

-Mike

I personally like what I use for a 5 bar LTE signal:

• 5 Bars - Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal
  • 4 Bars - Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal
  • 3 Bars - Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
  • 2 Bars - Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair
  • 1 Bar - Between -113dBm and -118dBm RSRP is poor

Source:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/?p=46043

For a four bar signal strength indicator, I would do it this way:

• 4 Bars - Better than -90dBm RSRP is a strong signal
  • 3 Bars - Between -90dBm and -98dBm is good
  • 2 Bars - Between -99dBm and -108dBm is fair
  • 1 Bar - Between -109dBm and -118dBm RSRP is poor

Yep, this would work.   The average public sees what I see.   A one bar signal half the time. They think the service is terrible half the time.   Actually I have very good service on both band 25 & 26 but the average person would say they have poor Sprint service. Keep in mind, the amount of bars they normally see is the strength of the LTE signal. They do not even realize it is the LTE signal.  They think the voice signal is crappie too, but it ain't.  They probably do not check the bars when on a call and do not see that the bars are much better on voice. This needs some red lights & siren type attention and right now.  Stop the bad display of signal strength.

Think how bad this looks when somebody compares a Sprint phone to a competitors phone. Sprint might have the better signal but it may look the worst in a comparison.   Good way to lose the business.

• Like 2

Mike,

I did catch the phone doing the same thing this morning and I think I caught it in time to send the report. Let me know if you got anything, or if you want me to retry.

Thanks

-Mike

Mike,

Here is a screenshot as well with LTE Discovery and SCP.

Thanks,

Salman

-Mike

post-2884-0-68921600-1417614747_thumb.png

Here is a screenshot as well with LTE Discovery and SCP.

Thanks Salman -- I think I have figured out what the issue is! At the time of your report, your device was not reporting a valid RSRQ in the standard manner it is typically reported to the OS. SignalCheck saw this and interpreted it as no connection. I can make some adjustments that should be able to account for this.

Looking back at other reports of similar behavior, this appears to be the common denominator.. something with WiFi calling must mess with RSRQ reporting. I'll be working on it.. almost done creating 400+ new notification icons..  :wacko:

-Mike

• Like 7

Mike,

Glad to be of assistance. Will look forward to the update. It is interesting to me why this happens with RSRQ. I did not notice it (at least I dont think I did) while in Boston and last night at the hotel in Harrisburg  I did not encounter the situation, which is why I could not send you a report yesterday. Here at work I am encountering it all the time. Could it be something from the tower?

I think LTE800 is being rolled out here in the Shentel area and the tower closest to me is the last remaining one in Harrisburg that is still only 3G accepted so I am picking up LTE1900 and LTE800 from another tower so the signal fluctuates more.

If you need any assistance in checking out your fix/update, I will be glad to test it out for you.

As far as Wifi calling, do you know if the device is still trying to look for a Sprint signal? Even if it finds it, it will not be "using" it so would that cause battery drain especially in a poor reception area? Poor reception area would likely make you want to use Wifi calling anyway.

Salman

Thanks Salman -- I think I have figured out what the issue is! At the time of your report, your device was not reporting a valid RSRQ in the standard manner it is typically reported to the OS. SignalCheck saw this and interpreted it as no connection. I can make some adjustments that should be able to account for this.

Looking back at other reports of similar behavior, this appears to be the common denominator.. something with WiFi calling must mess with RSRQ reporting. I'll be working on it.. almost done creating 400+ new notification icons..  :wacko:

-Mike

I am still trying to figure out all of the great information that this app provides. And at the same time I am a little unclear about data at 800 megahertz with Sprint. Does this screenshot suggest that I'm getting data on 800 megahertz? I was under the impression but there was very little of that in the market yet.

uploadfromtaptalk1417631064013.png

I am still trying to figure out all of the great information that this app provides. And at the same time I am a little unclear about data at 800 megahertz with Sprint. Does this screenshot suggest that I'm getting data on 800 megahertz? I was under the impression but there was very little of that in the market yet.

Yes according to SignalCheck your picking up Sprint's Band 26 which is the 800 band.  

SignalCheck provides a wealth of information on signal strength, which band your currently connected to, provides alerts when connected to Sprint's 800 voice service, etc. the list goes on and on.

GCI = Global Cell Identity, specific ID which can uniquely identify a cell in the whole world. 

PCI = Physical Serving Cell, this provides which sector your currently connected to on a site when on LTE.

TAC = Tracking Area Code, identifies a tracking area within a particular network.    

• Like 3

Now that I have a triband device, I am seeing LTE800 a lot. Pretty much anywhere that had LTE1900 now seems to have LTE800 as well. 

Mike/others can correct me if I am wrong, but if you look at the PCI value, and then look at the "Neighbor cells", a lot of times I will see the same PCI listed twice with 2 slightly different RSRP (strength) which, to me, would indicate that multiple frequencies were being broadcast. Once i get back to Boston which has LTE2500 I can check to see if i pick up the same PCI 3 times.

Salman

Mike/others can correct me if I am wrong, but if you look at the PCI value, and then look at the "Neighbor cells", a lot of times I will see the same PCI listed twice with 2 slightly different RSRP (strength) which, to me, would indicate that multiple frequencies were being broadcast. Once i get back to Boston which has LTE2500 I can check to see if i pick up the same PCI 3 times.

Salman

Seeing the PCI twice (the one your connected to and the neighbor cell) is normal.  An example:  Say your on Sprint's 1900 LTE band with a PCI of 100 and you see the same PCI (100) under "neighbor cells" with the signal strength this is PCI 100 on Sprint's B26 800 LTE.  In my market I will see the same PCI for 1900 and 800 LTE so this is normal, I don't know if this is the same with Sprint B41.

• Like 1

Seeing the PCI twice (the one your connected to and the neighbor cell) is normal.  An example:  Say your on Sprint's 1900 LTE band with a PCI of 100 and you see the same PCI (100) under "neighbor cells" with the signal strength this is PCI 100 on Sprint's B26 800 LTE.  In my market I will see the same PCI for 1900 and 800 LTE so this is normal, I don't know if this is the same with Sprint B41.

Mike,

Could the "Neighbor Cells" list also include the GCIs? Then we could unequivocally see which sites/cells we are near.

• Like 1

Mike,

Could the "Neighbor Cells" list also include the GCIs? Then we could unequivocally see which sites/cells we are near.

He addressed this in past. The GCIs aren't reported so the best he can do is the PCIs.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

Mike,

He addressed this in past. The GCIs aren't reported so the best he can do is the PCIs.

Another good reason to track PCIs in market maps. ;)

• Like 1

I was under the impression but there was very little of that in the market yet.

Your impression is wrong ;) 

Check out the link, and zoom in on Iowa. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5107-lte-800-band-26-sites-accepted-discussion/

Once i get back to Boston which has LTE2500 I can check to see if i pick up the same PCI 3 times.

Most likely you will not. As far as I know, Sprint B41 (8T8R) uses different PCI settings than B25/26.