SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

I *might* have come up with a way to do it.. testing some things out now. If it ends up working, it would be an off-by-default option so those of you who understand its possibilities could enjoy it, but my inbox doesn't explode from angry users who don't understand it.. ;)

Understood! I am glad you've found a possible avenue. Let me know if you need some help testing it, or the solid black background, or the below fix for the provider, or... :)

Your report appears to be the only one I received, but it shows me the magic.. thanks! I should be able to take advantage of that. Speaking of taking advantage, I got a nice message from @danialgoodwin from the LTE Discovery app crew the other day sharing some juicy info they discovered with the help of the legend known as @digiblur.. it will result in more devices (looking at you, Samsung) being able to show GCI within the app!!

Excellent! So I'm guessing you don't need me to send another one? I'll send one anyway just in case my S5 looks different, but it won't be until tomorrow.

Related topic, I think Sprint turned down the power on the local B41 Clear facility when they lit up B41 on a tower down the road. My phone used to park on B41 Clear when I was at home, but today all I've seen is B25 from the same location. I actually haven't locked onto the B41 Clear tower here at all today; I checked my log from the trip home from work and while I usually see it on the Metro and then again walking down the hill from the Metro station, it didn't use that tower at all today. :(

I still park on B41 Clear at work, so I can send you diagnostic data from that one still.

- Trip

3077239f3ede3d18e46adf365a0b8cee.jpg here is what I see ?

are you running android 4.4.2 or have you done the update to 4.4.4 yet?  

here is what I see ?

As stlman said, that appears to be B25. Like I mentioned, the app does not explicitly display that at the moment -- some devices cannot distinguish bands, so I don't want them seeing B25 if it might not be correct. It's not a priority at the moment but this may change in the future; I'm hesitant until more devices properly report PLMN (or all the Clear B41 sites become Sprint sites).

-Mike

• Like 2

That might be something related to SwiftKey and/or your ROM.. SignalCheck just displays a standard Android text box, and the OS handles it accordingly. I know I can use swype on the factory Google keyboard on my N5 without any trouble, but I do see what you mean about no suggestions popping up. I will see if there is something I can tweak.

Doesn't display on my m8 with SwiftKey or stock keyboard

033cb3e518c6d562c2676f89c458e31f.jpg

0ba618940f7e1fde82f876e85f0e0be9.jpg

The S5 just got 4.4.4 (check your updates if you have one, NK4) and neighboring cells appear! Hooray!

Excellent! Hopefully the S4 (both original and tri-band) will also get this update soon.

• Like 1

As stlman said, that appears to be B25. Like I mentioned, the app does not explicitly display that at the moment -- some devices cannot distinguish bands, so I don't want them seeing B25 if it might not be correct. It's not a priority at the moment but this may change in the future; I'm hesitant until more devices properly report PLMN (or all the Clear B41 sites become Sprint sites).

-Mike

Well the Nexus 6 signal check is working great on.   My only gripe is not towards yourself or Signal check, its towards not being able to reset the connection.  due to no root available yet.  But I have noticed that neighboring cells is working awesomely!  I was down in Jacksonville, FL last night, had 13 neighboring cells at once!  Was a very very open area.  Also I am sure you are aware, but the Nexus 6 is reporting Clear B41 as LTE 2500, unlike the S5 which couldn't distinguish between B25 and Clear listing them both as LTE.  So I am happy about that, that it is displaying it as LTE 2500 on both Clear B41 and Sprint B41.  

So are we going to get a Christmas Gift of an updated signal check?  lol.  Just kidding you dont have to do that.  Thanks for all the hard work Mike!  Such a great app.  I played around with all the display models in the sprint store and downloaded the lite version just for S & Gs to see how well they were performing signal wise.  

Anywho if you need something tested on the Nexus 6 let me know I am more than willing to help in any way i can.

Kevin

• Like 1

Well the Nexus 6 signal check is working great on. My only gripe is not towards yourself or Signal check, its towards not being able to reset the connection. due to no root available yet. But I have noticed that neighboring cells is working awesomely! I was down in Jacksonville, FL last night, had 13 neighboring cells at once! Was a very very open area. Also I am sure you are aware, but the Nexus 6 is reporting Clear B41 as LTE 2500, unlike the S5 which couldn't distinguish between B25 and Clear listing them both as LTE. So I am happy about that, that it is displaying it as LTE 2500 on both Clear B41 and Sprint B41.

So are we going to get a Christmas Gift of an updated signal check? lol. Just kidding you dont have to do that. Thanks for all the hard work Mike! Such a great app. I played around with all the display models in the sprint store and downloaded the lite version just for S & Gs to see how well they were performing signal wise.

Anywho if you need something tested on the Nexus 6 let me know I am more than willing to help in any way i can.

Kevin

Root has been available since it launched....the reset function doesn't work because of changes to how android functions with the swap to art.
  • Like 1

Root has been available since it launched....the reset function doesn't work because of changes to how android functions with the swap to art.

Thanks for this, had that issue on the n5. Thought maybe I had to re-root. I assumed as much, but this confirms nao.

I noticed recently that all my BSL locations are all wrong. They are showing offset locations like before the NV upgrades. Anybody else?

I see this as well.

For whatever reason Samsung markets are switching to offset BSL locations. This has been observed in multiple markets over the past 6 weeks. 

• Like 4

I noticed recently that all my BSL locations are all wrong. They are showing offset locations like before the NV upgrades. Anybody else?

Thats normal.  Take a trip over to the website and read the FAQ.  I believe it talks about this in there.

Thats normal.  Take a trip over to the website and read the FAQ.  I believe it talks about this in there.

It was normal before NV upgrades. BSL went to exact location after, now for some reason they are offset again.

It was normal before NV upgrades. BSL went to exact location after, now for some reason they are offset again.

Not strictly true. Some markets, including Chicagoland,   had correct site locations before NV, and kept them through NV 1. Only recently has some group of genius engineers decided to #&$@ up the BSLs. I offer them my sincere and ongoing . . . Thanks.

• Like 5

Noticed it in west Michigan yesterday

Well the Nexus 6 signal check is working great on.   My only gripe is not towards yourself or Signal check, its towards not being able to reset the connection.  due to no root available yet.

I've had conflicting reports from users if it works when you are rooted or not.. it sounds like it will not work even if you are rooted. The messages indicate a connection reset, but nothing actually happens to the connection.

...the Nexus 6 is reporting Clear B41 as LTE 2500, unlike the S5 which couldn't distinguish between B25 and Clear listing them both as LTE.  So I am happy about that, that it is displaying it as LTE 2500 on both Clear B41 and Sprint B41.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing your experience on the N6. I didn't anticipate major issues (other than the Reset problem), but with a brand new OS, you never know.

So are we going to get a Christmas Gift of an updated signal check?

Oh I'm working on an update, don't worry! Other priorities keep getting in the way of finishing it.. just when I think my schedule is going to open up a bit, something else comes along. Don't mistake a lack of updates for lack of progress or interest on my part! ;)

Thanks for this, had that issue on the n5. Thought maybe I had to re-root. I assumed as much, but this confirms nao.

There shouldn't have been any issues with the Reset feature on any rooted devices (ART or dalvik) except for those running Lollipop. Still trying to figure a way around that.

-Mike

• Like 3

I've had conflicting reports from users if it works when you are rooted or not.. it sounds like it will not work even if you are rooted. The messages indicate a connection reset, but nothing actually happens to the connection.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing your experience on the N6. I didn't anticipate major issues (other than the Reset problem), but with a brand new OS, you never know.

Oh I'm working on an update, don't worry! Other priorities keep getting in the way of finishing it.. just when I think my schedule is going to open up a bit, something else comes along. Don't mistake a lack of updates for lack of progress or interest on my part! ;)

There shouldn't have been any issues with the Reset feature on any rooted devices (ART or dalvik) except for those running Lollipop. Still trying to figure a way around that.

-Mike

Thanks Mike!

By the way I have noticed something.  For whatever reason when I drop down to 3G on the signal check app it will show the LTE signal and 1X info at the same time for about 2 to 3 seconds.  Is this normal or just a bug?  

By the way I have noticed something.  For whatever reason when I drop down to 3G on the signal check app it will show the LTE signal and 1X info at the same time for about 2 to 3 seconds.  Is this normal or just a bug?  

Sometimes it happens because of the sequence in which the connection status is being reported to the app. I have tried to do what I can to minimize it, but it still happens sometimes. Some devices are "worse" than others, and sometimes playing with your "hide duplicate 1X icon" settings improves it. Each device has its own quirks; this is one of those areas where it's hard to make adjustments because what fixes it on one device might completely break it on another. It bugs me too!

-Mike

• Like 2

Sometimes it happens because of the sequence in which the connection status is being reported to the app. I have tried to do what I can to minimize it, but it still happens sometimes. Some devices are "worse" than others, and sometimes playing with your "hide duplicate 1X icon" settings improves it. Each device has its own quirks; this is one of those areas where it's hard to make adjustments because what fixes it on one device might completely break it on another. It bugs me too!

-Mike

Oh Im not bugged by it.  I was just letting you know that it is happening on the Nexus 6.  It happens quite a bit.  I do have the hide duplicate 1x icon checked.

Mike,

Not sure if it's on your to-do list for the next release, but how about an option or ability to permanently remove those null records from my database?  I have something like 2,000 of them in my database and I'd rather not have them at all. :)

Looking forward to your new release whenever it lands!

- Trip