Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

every new site in northern ky has 800 voice active this is a samsung market though it made a WORLD of difference for my in house call drop rates as the towers around here were basically at the 1900 mhz spectrum max distance where you would go down to 1 or no bars then drop for a sec then pick up the new tower 2 steps later

It is like that here, too. The sites are spaced almost exactly a few hairs short of the next. Once 800 mhz goes online, I can only imagine how full the network coverage will be.

Some information we have received regarding the CDMA 800 deployment.

In areas that have limited spectrum in the 800 band, Sprint will focus on LTE rather than CDMA. In areas that have the additional spectrum, they will also deploy CDMA. 

That's the biggest change part to me. I never would have expected them to do LTE over voice.

That part seemed odd to me as well. But if the future is VoLTE, then that would make sense eventually.

VoLTE is voice over LTE, not LTE over voice. Regardless the statement was in regards to spectrum. When spectrum is limited in a market, LTE carriers will be deployed over additional voice carriers. Let's try not to confuse the readers into thinking Sprint is jumping on the VoLTE bandwagon.

VoLTE is voice over LTE, not LTE over voice. Regardless the statement was in regards to spectrum. When spectrum is limited in a market, LTE carriers will be deployed over additional voice carriers. Let's try not to confuse the readers into thinking Sprint is jumping on the VoLTE bandwagon.

I think what he's saying is that since Sprint has already said that eventually they'll deploy VoLTE, it makes sense for them to chose LTE over 1x in spectrum constrained markets because eventually they can launch VoLTE in those markets. The other way around of course isn't possible.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I know very well what VoLTE is.... the comment was in reference to choosing to deploy LTE rather than [over] voice. As Thomas stated above. If VoLTE really is the future, than it would make sense to deploy LTE in the lower spectrum instead of voice. 

Guys, the answer is simple.  People do not talk on the phone much anymore.  If you do, you are a Chatty Patty.

data > voice

AJ

• Like 2

I think what he's saying is that since Sprint has already said that eventually they'll deploy VoLTE, it makes sense for them to chose LTE over 1x in spectrum constrained markets because eventually they can launch VoLTE in those markets. The other way around of course isn't possible.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Maybe, but I'd rather have 3x3 LTE800 with 1x800 than 5x5 LTE800 with no 1x800. 800 is important for fallback coverage on sites that have to cover a lot of territory or for in building penetration. EVDO will disappear long before 1x due 1x having superior coverage properties and LTE is a far more efficient use of spectrum than EVDO. 1xA will still have advantage in usable coverage. Even with the move to VoLTE, I'd expect to see Sprint keep a channel of 1x800 in most places for quite a long time.

Guys, the answer is simple.  People do not talk on the phone much anymore.  If you do, you are a Chatty Patty.

data > voice

AJ

There are still plenty of folks out there clocking 3000 minutes per line per month. That just happens to use a lot less network capacity than "unlimited data" and streaming video.

There are still plenty of folks out there clocking 3000 minutes per line per month. That just happens to use a lot less network capacity than "unlimited data" and streaming video.

I use about 600 minutes a month sometimes more and I consider that light, but back on topic still no 1x800 here I wanna get rid of this airave. :(

The people talking massive minutes, aren't that likely to switch to VoLTE phones anyway.

Personally I'm not a big believer in CDMA Forever in my own usage, but I'd say that getting legacy CDMA flip phone users to switch will be really hard. Henceforth Sprint saying that they won't shut down CDMA until 2021 or later.

I think 1x800 may be turned on permanently in the dc market. Turned my phone on and connected to channel 476. The SID is 22435

Edit: I guess I jumped the gun. It's no longer on. I was excited when I saw the 22435 SID since we had been on the testing SID 22429 I believe.

Your phone caches the tower and frequency so your phone connects faster. Prl update will clear that cache with no cache 800 scans first. Digiblur wrote something up about it I think it was in the columbus market in early August.

I believe now that our phone will only get an 800 signal when we lose 1900. And even once we lock the 800 signal. Our phone continually scans for a 1900 signal.

once i lock 1x800 i stay on that till i can't use that anymore i've even passed a legacy tower and still stayed on the 1x800 for a few miles after i passed the legacy tower i have the S3 

I believe now that our phone will only get an 800 signal when we lose 1900. And even once we lock the 800 signal. Our phone continually scans for a 1900 signal.

That's only Iphones and other non-LTE devices that have 800smr support that do that.

That's only Iphones and other non-LTE devices that have 800smr support that do that.

God has a special place for iPhones...

AJ

• Like 1

Do you guys think they are going 4g only with 800 smr in some parts of the country because they already have such extensive 1x roaming? So if they develop 800 4g in those markets for data and just leave voice roaming?

Do you guys think they are going 4g only with 800 smr in some parts of the country because they already have such extensive 1x roaming? So if they develop 800 4g in those markets for data and just leave voice roaming?

Highly doubt that.  They aren't going to to pay roaming cost if they can provide the coverage themselves using resources already in place.

Highly doubt that.  They aren't going to to pay roaming cost if they can provide the coverage themselves using resources already in place.

But that's the thing, they were talking about where sprint is spectrum lacking, so the resources aren't already in place coverage wise. So I was wonderin if sprints plan in those areas is to just flip on smr lte and leave some voice traffic on roaming. Because like mentioned above no one talks on the phone anymore lol.