Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I don't get it. Wasn't NV in all of NYC supposed to be complete by end of 1Q?

I mean we can't complain much. Just a few month before that when I joined the site there wasn't much towers anywhere, It is astonishing on how a matter of months you get so many sites up. While I sit here and ask myself why isn't the performance showing, we have to understand NYC hasn't gone live yet. So I would say NYC is going fast rather than slow.

--

Chris

• Like 2

I am still very surprised that manhattan isnt the first place the lte signals are set up. Who wouldve thought bronx is the first place with lte.

Work started in all the boroughs at the same time. If you look in the Sponsor maps, you can see they are working everywhere in NYC and Westchester. However, the crews in the Bronx are able to get their LTE sites up first. Work is still ongoing in Manhattan. There are more sites in Manhattan than the other boroughs combined. It will take longer.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 3

Work started in all the boroughs at the same time. If you look in the Sponsor maps, you can see they are working everywhere in NYC and Westchester. However, the crews in the Bronx are able to get their LTE sites up first. Work is still ongoing in Manhattan. There are more sites in Manhattan than the other boroughs combined. It will take longer.

Why were they able to get the Bronx LTE sites up first?

Why were they able to get the Bronx LTE sites up first?

I don't know why, but there are less sites in the Bronx than Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan. So it is farther along even when starting at the same time as the others. Staten has the least sites, but it started last.

Robert

I don't know why, but there are less sites in the Bronx than Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan. So it is farther along even when starting at the same time as the others. Staten has the least sites, but it started last.

Robert

Does that mean when the crews that is working in the Bronx are done, they will be allocated to the other boro's? I hope so.

Does that mean when the crews that is working in the Bronx are done, they will be allocated to the other boro's? I hope so.

Most likely yes, They aren't going to get fired or put out of work temporary there is work to be done all over. My guess to why Bronx got quickly done is probably because of the internet speeds, we have very fast speeds around Bronx and you can get it everywhere and maybe because of easy access to this amount of speed it was easy to add to the back haul? Does this make sense? This is my guess based on my experience of internet connectivity that is available in the Bronx.

--

Chris

i find these towers near by my apartment. its on Roosevelt Ave and Parsons blvd in flushing. i get great speeds around 1.8mbps. i noticed there are different colored panels, some of them looking a little grey and some of them are white. of course the small round ones are clear wimax? what are the differences between each different panels?

post-8087-0-84490100-1357758506_thumb.jpg

post-8087-0-87825400-1357758508_thumb.jpg

post-8087-0-10038100-1357758512_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

As an employee of Sprint and a New Yorker is killing me that the Bronx seems to be getting all the LTE love. Last time I checked Where I live(Manhattan) there's only like 3 LTE sites up and running. I did notice Flushing is getting some Network Vision love this month, Manhattan has been getting Network Vision but no LTE. In some way I'm glad that the Bronx is getting it first, I'm traumatized with the way NV was handled in Chicago so many customers I had to talk of the ledge due to these hand off issues. For now I'll be using my SG3 alongside my TriFi for some great WiMAX speeds.

As an employee of Sprint and a New Yorker is killing me that the Bronx seems to be getting all the LTE love. Last time I checked Where I live(Manhattan) there's only like 3 LTE sites up and running. I did notice Flushing is getting some Network Vision love this month, Manhattan has been getting Network Vision but no LTE. In some way I'm glad that the Bronx is getting it first, I'm traumatized with the way NV was handled in Chicago so many customers I had to talk of the ledge due to these hand off issues. For now I'll be using my SG3 alongside my TriFi for some great WiMAX speeds.

They told me that some towers in Flushing are getting LTE soon this month also! I'm glad to see Queens getting LTE soon

• Like 1

I need Brooklyn to catch up fast, near my college I always have unusable speeds. I rather have LTE in Brooklyn that Bronx cause if I am in Bronx I am home and on Wi Fi.

Like Robert stated in earlier in his post it makes sense that Manhattan is late on LTE they have a huge amount of towers and imagine for the tech guys getting around Manhattan it must really not be so productive. The traffic, the people and all the complications. I am actually happy at the progress, just that in certain places it needs to speed up.

--

Chris

• Like 1

Last time I checked Network Vision is being deployed in Brooklyn, but little to no LTE in that borough. I understand Manhattan might be going slow due to some unforseen variables, I do love the fact that at least the foundation to LTE(NV) is being deployed I've seen some improvements in my 3G service.

I need Brooklyn to catch up fast, near my college I always have unusable speeds. I rather have LTE in Brooklyn that Bronx cause if I am in Bronx I am home and on Wi Fi.

Like Robert stated in earlier in his post it makes sense that Manhattan is late on LTE they have a huge amount of towers and imagine for the tech guys getting around Manhattan it must really not be so productive. The traffic, the people and all the complications. I am actually happy at the progress, just that in certain places it needs to speed up.

--

Chris

I've delt with quite a few customers who are having service issues due to NV, so Flushing is being worked on.

They told me that some towers in Flushing are getting LTE soon this month also! I'm glad to see Queens getting LTE soon

Edited by TriFiLove
  • Like 2

Son are you guys saying that soon Sprint will be "Flushing" away slow data speeds in Queens? WHOOSH!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

• Like 4

I've delt with quite a few customers who are having service issues due to NV, so Flushing is being worked on.

yes. where i work used to have good speed in terms of 3g and 1X reception, but for the last week, i get one or two bars and the phone keeps on toggling back and forth to different towers and dropping 3g signals.

i find these towers near by my apartment. its on Roosevelt Ave and Parsons blvd in flushing. i get great speeds around 1.8mbps. i noticed there are different colored panels, some of them looking a little grey and some of them are white. of course the small round ones are clear wimax? what are the differences between each different panels?

The small round one looks like a microwave relay for Clear.

The white ones are probably the newer panels from NV.

Yep, these are issues that are being caused by NV; according to our internal communications.

yes. where i work used to have good speed in terms of 3g and 1X reception, but for the last week, i get one or two bars and the phone keeps on toggling back and forth to different towers and dropping 3g signals.

• Like 1

The small round one looks like a microwave relay for Clear.

The white ones are probably the newer panels from NV.

do you happen to know if they are replacing the darker panels into the newer white ones or just adding more of those white ones?

so looking at the map in sensorly, will LTE coverage be the same as the coverage in the 3g map?

if i am not mistaken, i heard people saying 1900mhz LTE has worse penetration than 1900mhz 3g signals? but when 800mhz LTE rolls around, things will be different.

so looking at the map in sensorly, will LTE coverage be the same as the coverage in the 3g map?

It will be nearly the same. LTE signals are more fragile than EVDO, however with the site density in NYC, it shouldn't be noticeable. In nearly every area you have a moderate 3G signal, you should have an LTE signal. If there are areas that you don't have a signal, you likely won't see any improvements in that area until 1x and LTE roll out on 800.

• Like 2

do you happen to know if they are replacing the darker panels into the newer white ones or just adding more of those white ones?

I don't believe those dark panels are Sprint panels. Sprint panels are usually thinner in nature, and I've never seen a site with 4 panels, max I've seen is three.

• Like 1

I don't believe those dark panels are Sprint panels. Sprint panels are usually thinner in nature, and I've never seen a site with 4 panels, max I've seen is three.

I think few of those are definitely sprint towers since signals are very strong near those towers. And since I see clearwire panels, I just guessed they are sprint towers. I also see that that site on the network enhancement map for speed and capacity. Maybe its combination of both sprint and other carrier?

I think few of those are definitely sprint towers since signals are very strong near those towers. And since I see clearwire panels, I just guessed they are sprint towers. I also see that that site on the network enhancement map for speed and capacity. Maybe its combination of both sprint and other carrier?

I do not think the dark panels are Sprint. Sprint could very well be on the same site, you just can't see them. In your pictures, I can see another array of panels to the left of the ones you were focusing on. They looked very different, more along the lines of what I would expect Sprint to look like.

• Like 1

To clarify, its not that LTE 1900 penetrates buildings less better than EVDO 1900 (3G). You have roughly the same signal strength in the same conditions from the same towers. However, LTE signal is more fragile at weaker signal strength than EVDO. And this is true for LTE on all bands...700, 750, 850, PCS and AWS.

So in weaker signal areas you are less likely to get LTE indoors than EVDO. But in strong and midrange signals, there is no difference with in building coverage between the two.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2